The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

What a past 4 hours I've had. I live in Coquitlam, and I left for SFU around 3:30 to wait for the bus. I waited for twenty minutes and the bus never came. (I later found out that Translink cancelled all buses to SFU). I phoned my sister to make her check for me if the school was open, she said it was. I needed to go to school because I had a test today worth 30%, so I decided to drive. Driving up the Gargladi hill wasn't bad, but once I was at top of the mountain, driving to the parking lot was awful. I didn't have a parking pass but I ended up parking at the G Lot parking lot because it was the closest to me. I walk to my class and it's half full. The teacher decides to send everyone home...and that's when all the fun began. It took me 3 freakin' hours just to drive home. I spent 2 1/2 hours on the same road that would usually only take me 2 minutes to drive. The roads were slippery, and again I was slidding. A lot of cars were stuck and there were a lot of accidents. However, once I got to the intersection of Gargladi and University way, all was fine.

I was very tempted to pick up some hitchhikers though. I felt bad for them because they were walking down the mountain.

Anyways, that's my story..... I really needed to vent lol

i picked up 4 today.

There should be a law that requires everyone to have chains in their vehicle and to stop and put them on when needed. Chains were a lot more common in my day. We did alright in worse conditions than what we usually see today.

Edited by KIAFYBALS

There should be a law that requires everyone to have chains in their vehicle and to stop and put them on when needed. Chains were a lot more common in my day. We did alright in worse conditions than what we usually see today.

good god, we get it.

doesnt matter, if they needed to go up or down there, they just did. They didnt belly ache and cry about it.

Back then, they didn't have to venture very far from home. No one commuted. Suburbs didn't exist. You wouldn't find development in the mountains like you would in Coquitlam. Cities in the mountains were built on flat spots in the mountains - for example, Chur in the Swiss Alps Chur.jpg

There were exceptions of course, but this is typical of life back then

Society was completely different back then. It wasn't as simple as not having lights or having to walk around in the snow.

And who foots the bill to repair the roads every March? What about all those people who drive along - with chains - who drive into a pothole that couldn't be seen because it's full of snow and bust up their suspension?

I cant beleive they closed the college in new west and sent employees home. what a bunch of weather wimps

Nothing should ever be closed in GVRD. Employees and students should be expected to get chains, walk, whatever it takes to get to work\class.

what do you think they did a couple of hundred plus yrs ago when they needed to get around. Todays society is total crybaby wimps.

doesnt matter, if they needed to go up or down there, they just did. They didnt belly ache and cry about it.

No really, WE-GET-IT.

And who foots the bill to repair the roads every March? What about all those people who drive along - with chains - who drive into a pothole that couldn't be seen because it's full of snow and bust up their suspension?
???? happens. beats sliding off the road, or getting into an accident and doing even more damage. Also a lot less common. Roads always need repair anyhow.

???? happens. beats sliding off the road, or getting into an accident and doing even more damage. Also a lot less common. Roads always need repair anyhow.

Think of that every spring when you're driving home, caught in single lane traffic around every corner because of a set of chains took out a chunk of pavement.