The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

yep, still snowing hard according to a friend trapped there

unfortunately, me and some other guy on this board is ALSO trapped there

by the looks of things, I might have to spend the night at my friend's res place

the sad thing is I could have left earlier but I decided to study at the SFU library

BIG MISTAKE!!

Well....maybe not.....at least this will force me to study for my mid-term on Friday

more studying.....hopefully I get off this mountain soon.....

Edited by 71Nathan-Summer81

unfortunately, me and some other guy on this board is ALSO trapped there

by the looks of things, I might have to spend the night at my friend's res place

the sad thing is I could have left earlier but I decided to study at the SFU library

BIG MISTAKE!!

Well....maybe not.....at least this will force me to study for my mid-term on Friday

more studying.....hopefully I get off this mountain soon.....

Yup, I'm right here. It's so damn cold over at the Biology building. At least it stopped snowing. The wind is picking up though.

What a past 4 hours I've had. I live in Coquitlam, and I left for SFU around 3:30 to wait for the bus. I waited for twenty minutes and the bus never came. (I later found out that Translink cancelled all buses to SFU). I phoned my sister to make her check for me if the school was open, she said it was. I needed to go to school because I had a test today worth 30%, so I decided to drive. Driving up the Gargladi hill wasn't bad, but once I was at top of the mountain, driving to the parking lot was awful. I didn't have a parking pass but I ended up parking at the G Lot parking lot because it was the closest to me. I walk to my class and it's half full. The teacher decides to send everyone home...and that's when all the fun began. It took me 3 freakin' hours just to drive home. I spent 2 1/2 hours on the same road that would usually only take me 2 minutes to drive. The roads were slippery, and again I was slidding. A lot of cars were stuck and there were a lot of accidents. However, once I got to the intersection of Gargladi and University way, all was fine.

I was very tempted to pick up some hitchhikers though. I felt bad for them because they were walking down the mountain.

Anyways, that's my story..... I really needed to vent lol

Just got down from the mountain from what seemed like one of the longest 'hikes' i've ever done - and i've done longer.

i'm just so pissed off they did not see this coming. it was like this at around 12 today but instead of using their eyes they rely on sketchy weather reports calling for a mix of snow and rain, they decide that things are still rosy until 3 hours later approx. when the bus' stop going up and down. I get home and the lovely 'Steve' tells me via email that 'as of 4 PM roads were open'. WTF? They just screwed over alot of people today, and if it turns out they have to stay until midnight or even worse, stay the night, then there are going to be alot of people who will be pissed. Opening classes tomorrow after all this would be a slap in the face to those still stranded up there.

Nothing should ever be closed in GVRD. Employees and students should be expected to get chains, walk, whatever it takes to get to work\class.

Yeah you go walk in the middle of the dark up or down the mountain... there aren't no street lights after you get off the SFU campus. And as for buses...how are students who rely on the bus suppose to get off the mountain?? Buses without the snow take forever to get up because of the incline I venture to say in the snow ain't ever gonna happen. If you want to install chains on the buses be my guest.

STFU with your ranting.

I swear to God I'm gonna tear someone a new one.

F'in SFU. Way to give NO F'IN WARNING WHATSOEVER THAT BUS SERVICE HAS BEEN "SUSPENDED" YOU DUMB F'IN BALL-LICKERS!

I feel so badly for anyone who didn't get off the mountain....almost THREE goddamn hours I spent trying to get my donkey off that God-forsaken hill!

Newsflashes:

PEOPLE: IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IN THE SNOW (its really NOT as difficult as you make it seem) STAY THE EFF OFF THE ROADS YOU IGNORANT FOOLS!

FACILITIES MANAGER/ PRESIDENT AT SFU: THE DAMN SCHOOL IS ON A FLIPPIN' MOUNTAIN!! WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN EVERY DAMN YEAR! SORT THIS SH*T OUT YOU BASTARDS! SOMEONE SHOULD ALWAYS BE SANDING AND SALTING THE ROADS AND SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO EFFICIENTLY DIRECT TRAFFIC. AND NO, YOUR CRAPPY LITTLE RENT-A-COP SECURITY GUARDS DO NOT COUNT!! THAT IS HOW YOU END UP WITH THIS COMPLETE CLUSTER-F*CK, MORONS!

Someone had better lose their job (again!) over this. The last facilities manager was fired last year after a similar event....one that wasn't as bad. E-mail DIRECTLY to the president, I talked to a faculty member about this, and complain, complain, complain. It's the only way things will get done.

I plan to charge the school for the lost wages I would have made HAD i actually been able to make it to work.

What an effin' joke.

EDIT: KIAFYBALS, you're friggin' old and you have NO idea what you're talking about. Go to SFU some time and get back to me. Actually, go to SFU right now and get back to me. I'll hear from you in 8 hours. Putz.

Edited by ruutu-riffic

On my way down around 4pm, I saw all these kids getting off the Buses on the hill and walking up to SFU the rest of the way. I couldn't believe it, they were still heading up in what was a semi-snowstorm just to get to a class that was obviously going to be cancelled. I felt like yelling to them "just go the F*** home"

Darn, it's suppose to rain overnight. There goes the 'no school' day. Anyway, I heard that the stranded people at SFU have to sleep on the gym floor.

where'd you hear this? It was also supposed to rain this afternoon and we all know how that turned out.

people are stranded at SFU? lol how long is it to walk down that hill anyone know?

145 takes about 15 mins to get up the hill going at maybe 40-50 k?

too lazy to do the math since i had a calc midterm today

edit: 8-12 k?

edit #2: according to google its 6.2 k

Edited by the_martian