The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

Think of that every spring when you're driving home, caught in single lane traffic around every corner because of a set of chains took out a chunk of pavement.

you are greatly exaggerating, and I think you know it. One uses chains on snow and ice, and take them off when getting where they not needed. Common sense.

just got home from SFU...roads coming down weren't too bad, most of it seemed to be melting away...if you got a car, you should be able to make it down nice and slow...probably took me...15 min getting down the mountain?

was it still snowing or was it beginning to rain?

you are greatly exaggerating, and I think you know it. One uses chains on snow and ice, and take them off when getting where they not needed. Common sense.

You want common sense?

Think of it this way:

Broadway corridor, how many tens of thousands of cars travel down that road in a day?

Now imagine it if every single one of those cars had a set of four (minimum) chains digging into the pavement. That's in the hundreds of thousands of chunks of metal digging into a road every minute. IN ONE DAY. Now imagine that over this past winter. How much damage do you think that would cause?

The whole road would need to be dug up and repaved.

Tens of thousands of people going home and taking the chains off will not negate the damage that was caused by being on that road.

You wonder why people never take you seriously?

right.

this thread is full of whiny wimps bitchin and complaining about weather and traffic and school closing, or not closing, and I am the one being negative. sure. :rolleyes:

You're surely adding a lot to the discussion. Really, your input is appreciated.

You want common sense?

Think of it this way:

Broadway corridor, how many tens of thousands of cars travel down that road in a day?

Now imagine it if every single one of those cars had a set of four (minimum) chains digging into the pavement. That's in the hundreds of thousands of chunks of metal digging into a road every minute. IN ONE DAY. Now imagine that over this past winter. How much damage do you think that would cause?

The whole road would need to be dug up and repaved.

Tens of thousands of people going home and taking the chains off will not negate the damage that was caused by being on that road.

You wonder why people never take you seriously?

are we talkin broadway corridor here, or burnaby mountain type hills? Busy fairly flat broadway should not need chains, only proper snow tires, which most people are too ignorant to have.

are we talkin broadway corridor here, or burnaby mountain type hills? Busy fairly flat broadway should not need chains, only proper snow tires, which most people are too ignorant to have.

So now you're completely changing your tune. Gotcha...

So now you're completely changing your tune. Gotcha...

havent changed nothing. I said have chains to use where needed. So far, they should not be needed on Broadway. We havent had that big of a dump in a long time. I will refine what I said with a little more detail for those that need it. Law should require everyone to have snow tires on their vehicles from november to march and to carry chains for use when needed.

havent changed nothing. I said have chains to use where needed. So far, they should not be needed on Broadway. We havent had that big of a dump in a long time. I will refine what I said with a little more detail for those that need it. Law should require everyone to have snow tires on their vehicles from november to march and to carry chains for use when needed.

that'd be quite difficult to enforce....

You just need to stop spewing garbage because it's so obvious you have absolutely NO experience whatsoever with driving up Burnaby mountain. Seriously, until you've been there, don't even begin trying to give "advice" on how it should be done better. Sorry grampa, reality check: we no longer live 200 years ago....things are different, times have changed. get over it.

Check the website and stop depending on Stevie. Where was he the hours before the buses were being cancelled?

I never knew telling steve to lick my ball sack meant i was dependent on him. wtf are you talking about? if you read my huge donkey rant about 10 posts earlier you would have seen that i wasn't depending on "stevie" for anything because it's obvious that SFU is run by a bunch of incompetent morons who have a loooooot of angry people that want answers. fast.

Those pictures by the way, none of them do the chaos I saw justice. cars in ditches, snow ploughs STUCK on the side of the road, cars sliding down perpendicular to the roadway, vans stuck on medians, people running around like idiots. What you see is only a small portion of the idiocy.

that'd be quite difficult to enforce....
let me put it another way then, similar to a previous statement. SFU should have a declared policy of never closing and its up to employees and student to get themselves there, and tough tities if they cant be bothered to use snow tires and chains.

You can also bet in such a situation, that some enterprising person will see the need in such a situation and provide and special snow service up the mountain on such days as this, for those pansie that need it.

hard to tell what the road is like

http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=webcam

Updated at 10:00 pm:

http://www.sfu.ca/

It is snowing lightly at the Burnaby campus. Roads are slippery and icy. Please use extreme caution and drive with good snow tires.

Translink has suspended service to the Burnaby campus; for current transit information please visit www.translink.bc.ca.

Vehicle traffic is moving off the mountain, but road conditions are still risky, and there have been multiple vehicle accidents on the approaches to Burnaby Mountain. SFU Security recommends staying put until after 10:30 pm, when the roads are expected to be clearer.

Several dining facilities will remain open on the Burnaby Campus until approximately 11 p.m.: the Residence Dining Hall, Mackenzie Cafeteria, the Highland Pub, and the Renaissance Coffee shop near the ASSC 1 atrium in the AQ.

Between 10 pm and midnight, the university will open the central gym and provide sleeping mats, blankets, water and towels to anyone wishing to stay overnight on campus. The Emergency Social Services reception centre located in ASSC I will remain open until approximately 11:30 pm to answer questions.

Conditions are being closely monitored and an update regarding campus opening will be posted here at approximately 5 a.m., Thursday, Feb. 7. Please check the SFU Road Conditions page at http://www.sfu.ca/security/sfuroadconditions/, or call the SFU Road Conditions phone line at 604-444-4929.

Edited by Gnickers87

You just need to stop spewing garbage because it's so obvious you have absolutely NO experience whatsoever with driving up Burnaby mountain. Seriously, until you've been there, don't even begin trying to give "advice" on how it should be done better. Sorry grampa, reality check: we no longer live 200 years ago....things are different, times have changed. get over it.
shows what you know. I grew up in burnaby and went up and down that mountain in far worse weather than today many times, not to mention elsewhere like north shore mountains. Used to deliver groceries in a van in north burnaby through all kinds of weather, often we had to put the chains on to get it done, but we never "closed" Usually, winters in 60's and 70's had a lot more snow than we do nowadays as well. I delivered newspapers every day on the hills of south burnaby, no matter the weather. Sometimes papers were late, but we always got them delivered.

let me put it another way then, similar to a previous statement. SFU should have a declared policy of never closing and its up to employees and student to get themselves there, and tough tities if they cant be bothered to use snow tires and chains.

You can also bet in such a situation, that some enterprising person will see the need in such a situation and provide and special snow service up the mountain on such days as this, for those pansie that need it.

Most of the people going up to SFU use transit so tell us oh wise one how you're going to retro fit a HUGE fleet of B-Line buses that travel up and down the mountain?????

Because snow service for what 5 days worth of snow is NOT FEASIBLE....... when alot of money has been spent for the buses travelling to and from SFU....... LMAO...

Pansy, so your calling the folks talking transit up to SFU pansies. You shouldn't be talking.

Edited by Sir Menace