The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

lakecity and sperling stations have been built for a while, but they still do not realize that was a waste of money, so they decide to build a station at templeton

i still don't understand why wouldn't they build an express route from richmond to delta, then link to newwest

those are the major stations

people from past east burnaby have to travel all the way to waterfront to transfer to richmond....stupid!!!

if funding is the problem, they should do a better job making sure everyone pays the fare

i find it ridiculous how some people without enough money just throws a quarter and hoping the driver will let them ride...it should be fair that eveyone has to pay...if they don't have enough money, they shouldn't get to ride and they should've thought ahead before they tossed their coins into the slot

drivers should only let people ride for free when it's late, in a rural area, or disabled/old people...but then they should get a warning

transit police should be made more readily available and mobile to charge people with petty theft if they don't pay and continue to ride....bus drivers should have the authority to tell them whether they can or cannot get on the bus but it should be left to the transit police to deal with these stuff if it aggresses

im sure they will see a rise in funding if they make sure everyone pays the fare

Get off at Broadway or VCC. Take the 99 or 84 to Cambie. Transfer. It's much quicker.

Can someone interpret this graph for me? Does it mean that ~14% of people get on at Waterfront?

It could be where people get on, or where people get off, or a measure of both. Unless poeple are migrating or taking a different way home it shouldn't matter which method is being used really.

It could be where people get on, or where people get off, or a measure of both. Unless poeple are migrating or taking a different way home it shouldn't matter which method is being used really.

Thanks... but I'm still not getting it. (I'm not being obtuse - I realize it's my lack of knowledge). What's the "so what?" of this graph?.

In other words, what does it tell you other than Waterfront station, being a hub where the Seabus, Expo Line, and numerous bus connections come together in the heart of downtown, is a relatively busy station?

I'm trying to make a real world connection here - what should I take away/conclude from this?

Thanks... but I'm still not getting it. (I'm not being obtuse - I realize it's my lack of knowledge). What's the "so what?" of this graph?.

In other words, what does it tell you other than Waterfront station, being a hub where the Seabus, Expo Line, and numerous bus connections come together in the heart of downtown, is a relatively busy station?

I'm trying to make a real world connection here - what should I take away/conclude from this?

Ya, look at it as a station busyiness (as in how busy) it is. Keep in mind it's also a relative to the other stations busyness graph, not absolute.

If it was absolute and actually had boardings/deboardings per day you would be able to determine how viable the station actually is after the fact by comparing it with other stations around the world if you want. You would use these numbers to go back and update the regional models used to predict traffic flows under various transit/transportation scenarios.

This information is useful in determining things like how many buses you need to service a station, the pedestrian network coming to from the area, and what not. It also has business and land developement potential since it will indicate a number of potential customers passing through that particular node.

As is though it's just fluff showing which stations are busiest compared to each other. For example, even compared to other transit lines in Vancouver, I am betting RAV waterfront can't compete with Expo/Millenium absolute number.

Well, I guess even the relative fluff graph can tell you which ones aren't being used and would be prime areas to toss in a few office/residential towers nearby to optimise the sytem.

Ya, look at it as a station busyiness (as in how busy) it is. Keep in mind it's also a relative to the other stations busyness graph, not absolute.

If it was absolute and actually had boardings/deboardings per day you would be able to determine how viable the station actually is after the fact by comparing it with other stations around the world if you want. You would use these numbers to go back and update the regional models used to predict traffic flows under various transit/transportation scenarios.

This information is useful in determining things like how many buses you need to service a station, the pedestrian network coming to from the area, and what not. It also has business and land developement potential since it will indicate a number of potential customers passing through that particular node.

As is though it's just fluff showing which stations are busiest compared to each other. For example, even compared to other transit lines in Vancouver, I am betting RAV waterfront can't compete with Expo/Millenium absolute number.

Well, I guess even the relative fluff graph can tell you which ones aren't being used and would be prime areas to toss in a few office/residential towers nearby to optimise the sytem.

Thanks man... appreciate the learning.

A skytrain station in the middle of nowhere. They should have some development around this area in the future so that the station has a purpose.

It currently does have a purpose - provides a stop for the workers at the bunkers and units outside of YVR.

You're also asking for development in an area that is primarily industrial and next to a freaking airport. Come on. :picard:

It currently does have a purpose - provides a stop for the workers at the bunkers and units outside of YVR.

You're also asking for development in an area that is primarily industrial and next to a freaking airport. Come on. :picard:

Industrial/business developement ftw!

Depends on what type. Besides, the location isn't exactly an ideal one. Unless said business/industry has connections to YVR and its services, it'll go belly-up faster than Hons restaurant.

There are many businesses/industries that could make good use of YVR, never mind it's transit and road connections.

If you follow the history of the airport it's constantly expanding which means the industries and services that service just it will be expanding as well, never mind ones that would simply benefit being near the airport.

I have really been spoiled by the U-Pass since moving to Vancouver. This fall I am unregistered for courses so I am wondering about the fare zones work. If I take a bus that is say the 480 which goes from Richmond to UBC, that would be a two zone correct because it crosses two zones?

I have really been spoiled by the U-Pass since moving to Vancouver. This fall I am unregistered for courses so I am wondering about the fare zones work. If I take a bus that is say the 480 which goes from Richmond to UBC, that would be a two zone correct because it crosses two zones?

Yep.

If your going to Burnaby it gets complicated because depending on which way you go it can technically be three zones.

• 2 weeks later...

So if I were to get on the Skytrain at Commercial Station, would that be 3 fares because I could ride it all the way through 3 zones?

No. That would be 2 zones. It count how many zone you go into, not how many boundaries you crosses. Even if you cross the zone 1/2 boundary a million times during 1.5 hours, you still only need to pay 2 zones.

Here are few examples.

If you go from Richmond to UBC via 480, you go from zone 2 to zone 1, so the trip is 2 zones.

If you go from Richmond to Northshore via Canada Line and Sea Bus, you go from zone 2 to 1 back to 2, so the trip is 2 zones.

If you go from Richmond to Metrotown via 430, you again go from zone 2 to 1 back to 2, you you pay 2 zones fare even if you stay on the bus in Vancouver.

If you go from Richmond to Metrotown via 410 and Expo Line, you stay in zone 2 throughout your trip, so you only need to pay 1 zone fare.

And similarly, if you go from Richmond to Burnaby, swim across Burrard Inlet (ie. without taking bus into the Vancouver proper), then take a few more rides in North Shore, you still only have to pay a single zone fare as you remained in zone 2 the whole time, assuming you can make it within 1.5 hours.

Almost all trip from Richmond would require a max of 2 zones fare. The only time you need to pay for 3 zones is that if your trip goes into both zone 1 and zone 3 (ie. go to Coquitlam via Vancouver)

Edited by snowystar

No.

Here are few examples.

If you go from Richmond to UBC via 480, you go from zone 2 to zone 1, so the trip is 2 zones.

If you go from Richmond to Northshore via Canada Line and Sea Bus, you go from zone 2 to 1 back to 2, so the trip is 2 zones.

If you go from Richmond to Metrotown via 430, you again go from zone 2 to 1 back to 2, you you pay 2 zones fare even if you stay on the bus in Vancouver.

If you go from Richmond to Metrotown via 410 and Expo Line, you stay in zone 2 throughout your trip, so you only need to pay 1 zone fare.

And similarly, if you go from Richmond to Burnaby, swim across Burrard Inlet (ie. without taking bus into the Vancouver proper), then take a few more rides in North Shore, you still only have to pay a single zone fare as you remained in zone 2 the whole time, assuming you can make it within 1.5 hours.

Almost all trip from Richmond would require a max of 2 zones fare. The only time you need to pay for 3 zones is that if your trip goes into both zone 1 and zone 3 (ie. go to Coquitlam via Vancouver)

i was wondering about that. thanks!!