The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recipe For Success

Just recently started actually making threads and this is one of my very first ones ( 2nd actually ). Been reading these boards for a while and just began making a contribution to discussions after my first thread got a decent response. Just a warning: VERY long read. Hope you enjoy the read so here goes:

I have been thinking a lot about when the Canucks will finally win the Stanley Cup, as im sure you all have as well. I have watched year after year seeing the Canucks fall short and been left just wondering what does the other team have that we do not.

So it led me to think, what parts are crucial for success in the NHL ?

I began looking at rosters of Cup Champs following the NHL Lockout. What stood out to me to be most obvious was a striking similarity to various degrees between all the winners. They all had a certain "recipe" for success. They all contained 2 main elements as a foundation:

A: 3 top quality Centres. The first 2 were usually anchoring the top 2 lines, and they had a certain "star" quality to them. They were also all built in a certain mold in which they were/are able to affect the outcome of a game with either a play/a goal/a rush/or with speed. The 3rd of the C's was a checking line centre or of the 2 way variety. One of elite ability to shut down the oppositions threats and in some cases even score was found throughout the rosters.

B: A solid top 3 of defenseman, at least 1 of which was of the "shutdown" type. Of these 3 D, One was an elite puck rushing defenseman with the ability to quaterback a powerplay effectively. The shutdown type was usually known as the unsung hero, or the warrior. Big hits, blocked shots, and stability. The third was the one who stepped up and blossomed and became either another playoff warrior, or point producer. At the end of the playoffs, if he was not already a big time player, he would have made a name for himself after it for sure.

What gets interesting is that goaltending is not stressed upon as greatly in the playoffs. With an ability to get Hot or Cold having that "Star" quality tender does not seem to shape who a cup champion may be. Does having a Luongo factor ( ability to steal games ) guarantee a cup? maybe. But having a Cam Ward, Fluery, Bulin Wall, or Giguere gives you just as much of a chance. One hot streak and one slump is the difference of goaltending in the playoffs. Composure and Poise under pressure is the only thing about goaltending that matters here. If Cloutier had even a hint of it... rest assured, we would have had one cup at least by now.

So here goes:

2009 Stanley Cup Champions - Pittsburgh Penguins

Sidney Crosby

Evgeni Malkin

Jordan Staal

Brooks Orpik

Sergei Gonchar

Rob Scuderi

2008 Stanley Cup Champions - Detroit Red Wings

Henrik Zetterberg

Pavel Datsyuk

Johan Franzen (also plays C)/Kris Draper

Nicklas Lidstrom

Brian Rafalski

Niklas Kronwall

2007 Stanley Cup Champions - Anaheim Ducks

Ryan Getzlaf

Andy McDonald

Samuel Pahlsson

Scott Niedermayer

Chris Pronger

Francois Beauchemin

2006 Stanley Cup Champions - Carolina Hurricanes

Rod Brind'Amour

Eric Staal

Doug Weight

Aaron Ward

Mike Commodore

Glen Wesley/Brett Hedican

2005 Stanley Cup Champions - LOCKOUT

Now up to this point the formula becomes very apparent. But what really opens eyes is if you go even further back, the similarities just dont seem to want to end.

2004 Stanley Cup Champions - Tampa Bay Lightning

Vincent Lecavalier

Brad Richards

Tim Taylor

Dan Boyle

Pavel Kubina

Cory Sarich/Brad Lukowich

2003 Stanley Cup Champions - New Jersey Devils

Joe Nieuwendyk

Patrik Elias/Scott Gomez

John Madden

Scott Niedermayer

Brian Rafalski

Scott Stevens

2002 Stanley Cup Champions - Detroit Red Wings

Steve Yzerman

Igor Larionov/Sergei Federov

Pavel Datsyuk

Nicklas Lidstrom

Chris Chelios

Jiri Slegr

2001 Stanley Cup Champions - Colorado Avalanche

Joe Sakic

Peter Forsberg

Chris Drury

Rob Blake

Ray Bourque

Adam Foote

2000 Stanley Cup Champions - New Jersey Devils

Jason Arnott

Patrik Elias/Scott Gomez

John Madden

Scott Niedermayer

Scott Stevens

Brian Rafalski

Something to remember at this point before going on is that these pieces alone will not win a cup on their own. These are the foundations of a championship winning team. Injuries are a key reason to success and depth and health are crucial. Players who provide leadership, players who sacrifice their blood an sweat and put the body on the line, and emerging heroes have all been present to help along the line. Also, going back to the year 2000 was just to point out the trend for the last 10 years. Going further along back would bring upon different era's and styles of hockey ( even going back past the lock-out brings us to clutch and grab ). But for the most part I think a trend has become apparent.

Now going from this theory, I think a point can be made as to why Canucks have not won a cup. We have come close, but have never won it. This past year we have had:

Henrik Sedin - Is he a centre who can change the flow of a game? With brother Daniel, at times. For the most part? No.

Mats Sundin - Was in the twilight years of his career. Became a shadow of his former self, with the odd spurt of his younger days.

Ryan Kesler - Elite checker, one of the best in the game. The type of player you love on your team, and hate playing against.

That would be 1/3 so far. On to the D :

Willie Mitchell - Built in the mold of playoff warriors. Shutdown defender who is one of the best at what he plays, Defence.

Kevin Bieksa - Rough, physical, puts up the points. All around defender that plays with an edge. Personally feel he is underrated on these boards at times. More valuable than most would think.

Alexander Edler - Young and promising. Can he become a stud complete defenseman with the ability to rush the puck and PPQB? Showing promising signs and may have emerged a bit during the playoffs.

1 and a half /3. If Edler continues developing the way he has and becomes the type of defenseman we need, and Bieksa continues his play and improves D zone coverage ( teachable ) this looks promising. Acquiring/Developing/Drafting a top level D-man (( i.e. Kaberle (just gave his name because of rumours on the board, not saying specifically.)) that would push Bieksa down to 4 would be Ideal.

In net, well we have Luongo. In both of the playoff games we have been knocked out of he has shown a lack of Poise and Composure. A year ago, A lack of Poise ( looking at the ref for a penalty ) led to a goal being scored against and a knock-out. This past year, a lack of composure and a team collapse ( a team that Luongo is a LARGE part of ) led to a blowout. Before I get flamed for saying this, let me assure you, I do not believe that the losses are the fault of goaltending. I am just merely trying to point out how crucial these attributes are to a goaltender in the playoffs.

What looks promising is the future. If our prospects continue to develop into the full potential we may have a top tier team.

Hodgson - projection: #1 C.

Schroeder - Projection: #1/2 C/W

H.Sedin - Elite 2nd line, point-a-game #1 C.

Kesler - Elite Checking Centre with ability to alter game with shutdown skills, speed, hit, clutch scoring.

Mitchell - see above.

Edler - see above.

Bieksa/? - see above. Although I see this or Mitchell's spot to be upgraded by a bigger game changer pushing one of the 2 into the #4D spot.

Schroeder could fit in as a centre but may be more suitable to a winger role in the NHL. That would leave H.Sedin as a 1a or 1b C with Hodgson. In 4-5 years the Canucks may become a team that could really make some noise if our prospects develop as projected to be. Players like Johnson, Burrows, Bernier, Raymond, Suave, and other prospects can greatly influence our team if they continue to develop as they have or if they reach their potential. Surrounding the above foundation with proper supporting/current players will be a deciding factor.

Looking at the potential foundation we may have in a few (2-5) years with proper and expected roster/prospect development, we seem to have a team on the rise that may just as well bring home the cup soon. Thoughts?

edit: would a mod please delete this thread. thanks

Archived