The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Playoff Format

In the NBA the playoff format is 2-2-1-1-1 like in the NHL for all rounds except the finals.

In the NBA Finals they revert to 2-3-2. This gives the home team, the team with the best record in the

regular season, a decided advantage in a long series. It also cuts down on travel for the teams involved.

I think that this is something that the NHL should look into adopting. What do you think ?

no not at all. The less travel always helps the Eastern conference teams. The Western teams do this insane travel all year so when it comes to the finals why should the Western team not benefit pre se. I would like to see the a finals game every second day. Doesn't matter if they have to fly across country, don't give them an extra day for travel. I understand that building are multi-used these days. Most times when Western team make east coast trips it's 3 games in 4 nights and a 6 or 7 game trip. When the East goes west the have 3 or 4 game trip playing every second day or so. The Western teams always get screwed.

IMO leave it the way it is because this helps the Eastern conference team more then anything, not to mention moving west coast games up to 5 pm PCT so the east can watch.

Archived