The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An all in type of proposal for next season.

Alright decided to give this a go. Nothing original here really but a lot of ideas floating around on CDC all put into one team. Heads up it's a looooong read.

Trade#1

Eriksson for Booth, Hansen and Shroeder.

Shroeder is a 1 st rounder ready for the nhl and it doesn't look like he fits on this team. Will be a top 6 for a thin Dallas squad. Hansen great 2/3rd liner, ufa next year probably can't afford him. Great bang for their buck at under 2 mil. Booth replaces Eriksson place, not saying just as good, just as a roster spot. He has less years on his contract and that might appeal to the Dallas owner. Eriksson has a NTC kicking in this upcoming season and they get a full 2nd line for one player, without spending a lot of money, and their roster is terribly thin, they could really use these players. I know everyone is saying the twins and him only had success together because of the big ice, but it's worth the try. At least I would if my job was on the line like MG.

Trade#2

Ryan and rights to Steckel for Edler and rights to Roy and or Raymond.

Ryan and Edler are close to equal value. Steckel would be a great 4th line center. With Saku and Teemu maybe retiring they could use a 2nd line center, Roy, and a winger in Raymond. They could use some speed on that team to go along with the size and they get a top 2 dman.

Trade#3

Luongo for Cody Franson.

I doubt Toronto trades Franson but who knows maybe Nonis trades for Luo again. If they did Franson basically replaces Edler and Luongo would be an upgrade in net for them. Don't know about the value on this one, maybe throw in a pick going either way.

Trade#4

Dale Weise and a 4/5th rounder for Ryan Reaves.

I'm not a fan of Weise at all but he is a decent 4th liner. Reaves is a beast he can hit and fight with the best of them. With the blues resigning Cracknell they might be inclined to trading him, especially if your getting a roster player and a pick. I would overpay to get him I think he's a 4th liner we need, no offense to Sestito but overall Reaves is a better hockey player.

Trade#5

Ballard to Carolina for a 2013 3rd round pick.

Carolina has a few ufa dmen this summer, Ballard only has two more years on his contract at a reasonable cap hit. He gets a fresh start and would actually get a chance to play top 4 mins. A 3rd isn't much to give up to get him.

Signings.

Steckel @ 1/2 year 1.1 mil per. Great faceoff man, good size, you know what you get from him every night.

Bickell @ 2 year 900,000 per. Decent raise hope the hawks can't resign him. If you watched the hawks/wings series you know why we should sign him. Bickell Steckel Reaves is a beast 4th line.

Boyes @ 1 year 1 mil. Depth forward, can slot in for Reaves on the 4th or up and down the lineup when injuries strike.

Ty Wishart @ 1/2 year 850,000 per. Serviceable 7th dman still fairly young, maybe he'll surprise people.

Resignings

Lapierre @ 1/2 year 735,000 per. Ask to take a pay cut due to the lowering cap. Depth center or winger. If Gaunce isn't ready for 3rd line center we have a plan b, or Steckel moves up and lappy slides in on the 4th.

Tanev @ 2 years 2.25 mil per. Again, try to get him to sign for less to stay. After two years cap will be higher and he'll get a higher salary.

Franson @ 2 years 2.5 mil per. Same as Tanev. In 2 years more cap space, more money and by then would probably be go to guys.

Depth signings.

For goalies there's Dan Ellis, Labarbera, Theodore. Just in case Lack can't take the backup job or trade for a goalie.

Defence men, guys like Matt Gilroy, Huskins, Foster, Alberts if Wishart isn't capable or injuries.

Forwards there's Keith Aucoin, Regin, Chipchura, Halpern if Lappy walks or even try Lain.

After all said and done the lines look like this

Sedins-Eriksson=skill.

Burrows-Kesler-Ryan=size, speed, skill.

Higgins-Gaunce-Kassian=size, pk, pot a few goals each.

Bickell-Steckel-Reaves=size, defence, intimidation.

Boyes-Lappiere=great depth.

Hamhuis-Bieksa=shutdown pairing and still put up points.

Garrison-Franson=offence especially on the pp.

Tanev-Corrado=young, defensively responsible, poised.

Wishart=big body but still mobile, good 1st pass.

Schneider=solid goaltending.

Lack=we'll see how he recovers after injury.

I know the ufas could fetch more money but they might buy in the whole take less to play for a contender. Same goes for the rfas. Basically I took trades from these forums tried to put it all together. Value is probably off but at least I explained why they might work. Think this team would be very dangerous and vault Vancouver back to contender status. It has all the components, skill, speed, size, grit, and again that 4th line would deter people form pushing the Sedins around. We also don't lose our prospects, we can build around Kassian, Gaunce, Jensen, Lain, Corrado, Tanev, and Franson for the future. Not to mention this years and future picks. This is a all in type of play and giving this core one last chance with a new coach so there won't be any excuses. It all fits under the cap too.

Oh ya and for coach, you guessed it John Torterella, so we can be even more hated on by everyone else. Embrace the hate.

I don't expect MG to make this many moves or any at all really but I hope he does and something similar to this.

First trade seems unlikely but I would do it. hate to see Hansen leave though. I would rather it be Raymond and a pick/prospect but that's even less likely.

I like the second trade.....mostly because i'm a Ryan fanboy.

Personally I think Luongo holds more value than Franson. I think Florida would be a better option with them likely to take McKinnon I think Bjugstad would be expendable.

Weise and a low pick for Reaves? I'm on it like white on rice. hopefully we can find a way to bury that useless plug Sestitio then. That guy is garbage,

I am one of the few on here that like Ballard. I think he might shine under a new coach. AV gave him the run around as he seems to do with one defender every year.

Bickell and Steckel....get 'er done.

Boyes....meh i'm indifferent. i see the reasoning why you would want to sign him but at the same time I would rather throw in Jensen and give him time with the big boys rather than Boyes floating around.

Wishart is worth a try I guess, but I am also open to seeing if we can reinvigorate the old Cam barker. Again I think he was doomed to fail in AV's program. Especially with a garbage partner like Alberts. blech.

Lapierre turns down that offer IMO. Condensed cap or not, the guy is worth more than 775K.

Getting Torts as head coach? I'm down like syndrome for that.

Archived