The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) 2016 Off-Season

Looking forward to what the Canucks could like after this season is over, we could have the likes of Virtanen and Grenier in the line-up, or there could be a bust here and there with say Jensen, Grenier, and who knows else. I think Virtanen will round out into a top six high scoring winger who plays his aggressive style at the same time, not sure if he makes it this year through. I'm just concerned about prospect log-jams. It seems we a have few guys who look like sure things to be in our top 9, and I want to keep contending now while having prospect depth. I know thats obvious and that's what Benning and Linden want too, but I think we should look at acquiring big pieces right now who are in that 23-28 year old range, like what we just did with Brandon Sutter. Anyway I have some ideas, first off I think we will be in the playoffs, so I don't think we will be unloading come the deadline, but I think we could pull a move like teams have recently, where we Trade one veteran for picks/pieces while still contending. That player I think could be moved come deadline is Dan Hamhuis, I know that may seem risky if we're contending, and it may seem risky just going forward on our blue line. But he will be more valuable than Vrbata, we have younger pieces who play a similar style moving in, in Bartkowski and Corrado. We can get another d-man back in a deal to be safe for depth. We will need a top six winger like Vrbata come playoffs, so here's my ideas moving forward...

Starting Line-Up after Training Camp in Prince George

D. Sedin-H. Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-B. Sutter-Vrbata

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

Prust-Vey-Dorsett

Scratched: Kenins and Grenier

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Bartkowski-Weber

Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

DEADLINE

To Ottawa: Hamhuis

To Vancouver: Wiercioch

Alex Guptill

(Conditional) 3rd round pick 2017

(At the Draft)

Trade Vey's (Rights) to Detroit for a 5th round pick in 2016 and a (Conditional) 4th round pick in 2017

Then...

Let walk as UFA's

Vrbata

Y. Weber

Biega-(If Pedan is ready)

(Re-Sign)

Baertschi-3 years

Wiercioch-3 years

Prust-1 year

Bartkowski-2 years

Kenins-1 year

Fedun-1 year

Grenier-1 year

B. Jones-1 year

Trade Hansen to Washington for Thomas Di Pauli and a (Conditional) 2nd round pick in 2017

Trade Higgins and a 2017 (Conditional) pick to Chicago for a 2017 3rd round pick and Tyler Motte

Sign

David Perron-2 years/4.957 Mil per

Kyle Chipchura-1 year/910 K

Then we can see where the likes of Shinkaruk, Cassels, Gaunce, and McCann are at.

Cant see Hamhuis going to Ottawa. Hes a Western player and will most likely choose to stay in the West. Dallas, Colorado and Anaheim are the most logical destinations IMO at the deadline depending on standings.

If we are moving Hamhuis at the deadline, Why wouldnt we trade Vrbata, who arguably could be the best scoring winger available at the deadline?? Montreal, Washington, Pittsburgh are all teams that could look to add a scoring winger for the playoffs.

Weber is a solid Offensive depth Dman, letting him walk is kind of strange, a team like Florida who is never a out right buyer at the deadline but likes to add small pieces to help them for a push is a good trading partner for Weber or Bartkowski.

Cant see Hamhuis going to Ottawa. Hes a Western player and will most likely choose to stay in the West. Dallas, Colorado and Anaheim are the most logical destinations IMO at the deadline depending on standings.

If we are moving Hamhuis at the deadline, Why wouldnt we trade Vrbata, who arguably could be the best scoring winger available at the deadline?? Montreal, Washington, Pittsburgh are all teams that could look to add a scoring winger for the playoffs.

Weber is a solid Offensive depth Dman, letting him walk is kind of strange, a team like Florida who is never a out right buyer at the deadline but likes to add small pieces to help them for a push is a good trading partner for Weber or Bartkowski.

I said this would be what other teams have done as well. Trade a veteran for assets at the deadline while still contending, Calgary traded Glencross at the deadline to Washington for a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick. Then they advanced to the 2nd round, we're not trading Vrbata as well because he could be part of a playoff push, think about it, if we were contending but wanted to move a veteran so you don't lose them off nothing in FA, who would you move? Vrbata or Hamhuis? 33 year old pending UFA d-man who will be helpful in the playoffs but nothing Edler, Tanev, and Bartkowski, can't handle. Or your only 30 goal scorer and an offensive threat you will need to bolster your top six and compete? Albeit is 35 and also a pending UFA, this move to Ottawa makes sense, you really think Dallas has room for or needs Hamhuis? Look at that defensive depth chart of theirs, Dallas does not need Hamhuis for their playoff chances and they aren't giving you any young defenseman like Jokypakka, Johns, or Honka in a deal for him. Colorado could work but if they still want the defensive depth they will just sign Gleason, Meszaros, or Brewer instead, especially since they likely will not be huge contenders willing to overpay for rentals. Anaheim is trading for Hamhuis either, would not be worth what they would offer plus we just traded Bieksa fo them, why would we trade two of our top four veteran defenseman to a divisional rival when we are still pushing for the playoffs as well..? They don't need anymore top four d-men... They just signed O'Brien for depth as well anyway.. And Montreal has gotten their scoring winger in Alex Semin, Washington's top six is full as well, they added their scoring wingers in Oshie and Williams. Vrbata would only fit in Pittsburgh if they moved him to left wing, which potentially could be an issue with an aging Kunitz, an unproven young Russian in Plotnikov, a near retiring Matt Cullen who likely is good for 30 'points, and another young player with more to prove in Scott Wilson or Farnham. The Hamhuis deal make sense for Ottawa who's only experienced veteran blue liners are Karlsson, Methot, and Phillips. Philips is mostly a healthy scratch now and his age is showing. The Sens have made the playoffs twice now recently and are young buf experienced and skilled enough to make noise now and they want to, Hamhuis helps instantly and mentors Cowen, Ceci, and Borowiecki. We gain assets, get younger and bigger on the blue line, while staying in the hunt for the playoffs. And why would we re-sign Weber? Yeah he's our best PP shot and offensive puck mover, but he doesn't fit in the future plans and we have the same type of defensemen in Frank Corrado and Jordan Subban waiting in the wings. We're not trading Bartkowski, he fits in moving forward, there's a reason Benning was trying to trade Kassian to grab him sooner.

Stars

Goligoski-Klingberg

Demers-Oduya

Jokypakka-Jo. Benn

Johns/Oleksiak/Honka

Ducks

Fowler-Lindholm

Vatanen-Bieksa

Stoner-Despres

Holzer-Manson

S. O' Brien

Archived