The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Will FA allow JB to sell at TDL

Retinalz

On 12/31/2015 at 10:32 PM, Fanuck said:

From an overall team growth perspective you trade as many 'expendable' assets/contracts as you can at the deadline and set yourself up nicely for the future - Hammer, Virby,  Higgy, Burr, Miller, etc.... 

From the perspective of an owner whom I personally believe is maneuvering to sell the team (admittedly just a hunch), you keep the veterans and push hard for the playoffs making up some lost revenue in a one-and-done playoff round and at the same time making the sale of the team more appealing to perspective buyers  (playoff team vs a lottery team and all that).  

One thing is for certain,  this year's deadline will tell us if Aquaman really is or isn't interfering with the management of the on-ice assets of this club imo.  

There's just one flaw in your logic; things don't happen in a vacuum.

If someone is a prospective buyer of a team, they know damned well the history of the team, both distant and present, and I can guarantee none look at just the most recent season as an indication of the health of the franchise.

There are way more complex economics in play, than worrying about 3-4 million in terms of changing a buyers perspective on the franchise.

AQ et al bought the team at a bargain when they did, they're poised to almost more than double what they paid, so that's a pretty good return on investment. Any prospective buyer of the team now, is going to be looking at the ability of keeping the current revenue levels as they are.

Selling off assets helps that bottom line, by discarding that salary and not replacing it 1:1 in dollars, it helps offset loss of ticket sales etc.

My guess is, if the team is going to be sold, it will be sold to a US buyer. Preferably an absentee owner who allows management to run the show. US buyers are also less susceptible to the fluctuation/tanking of the Canadian dollar.

Archived