The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Playstation 3 Thread

Comfortably_Numb

I dont own either system but have worked with both and most PS3 owners say that the system is a complete DISAPPOINTMENT(spelled big so you homers can see). Dont listen to all these PS3 homers, do your own re search and when the homers say "PS3 is the system of the future" - that is a hope but in reality it is not the future. Right now 360 is a lot better because of price and game selection and it has a slight edge in graphics.

Dont listen to all these blind PS3 homers. Do your own re search and if it was up to me I would sell the PS3 and get a 360. Many of the PS3 owners I know are just like you, disappointed.

lol at the undertaker-------why do you even post in these threads?? How the hell does a guy get to be a fanboy when he doesn't even own a system??

listening to this guys opinion would be like getting sex advice from a virgin....... go ahead, spew the truth.

Pachter Predicts PS3 Outsold 360 in July

But DS and Wii remain on top

Ahead of the July video game sales data from The NPD Group, which is expected on August 23, Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter has issued his usual preview report, suggesting U.S. software sales of $425 million, up 12.5% compared to last year's $378 million.

His overall forecast includes an estimated sell-through of 450,000 DS units, 330,000 Wiis, 115,000 Xbox 360s, 160,000 PS3s, 205,000 PS2s, 225,000 PSPs, and 85,000 GBA units.

It should be noted that if Pachter is right, this would be the first time that the PS3 outsells the Xbox 360. "We expect a bump in PS3 hardware and software sales due to the PS3 price cuts. Sony stated that sales of PS3 approximately doubled after the price cut, with sales before the price cut averaging 20,000 units per week," Pachter noted.

He added that the recent warranty issue for the 360 likely had a negative impact but that it's only a short-term speed bump in the road for Microsoft: "We have forecast a month-over-month decline for Xbox 360 hardware sales, due to the warranty issue announced in early July. We believe that the announcement may have disrupted sales for a week or so, as consumers struggled with the meaning of the 'three red rings of death' issue. Now that the warranty has been communicated to consumers, the price has been cut, and (it appears) the design flaw that caused the high failure rate has been corrected, we believe sales will rebound."

Pachter expects July sales to be driven by new releases such as Activision's Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the '80s (PS2) and EA's NCAA Football 08 (PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360) along with catalog sales of Activision's Guitar Hero 2 and Nintendo's Wii Play and Mario Party 8.

patcher

2. In the battle for the next-gen HD format it appears that the Blu Ray camp is gaining a slight lead in front of its HD DVD rival, despite the fact that most customers are quite unaware of the fierce battle for supremacy.

"We are starting to see the pendulum swing slowly in [blu-ray's] direction," says analyst Chris Roden, from Parks Associates. "Recent retail developments, support from major Hollywood studios, and inclusion of the format in the PlayStation 3 puts the Blu-ray format in the lead."

Both Blockbuster and Target have both recently declared their support for Blu-ray. Blockbuster will exclusively offer Blu-ray rentals at 85% of its stores, while Target will only sell Blu-ray players at least through the holiday shopping season. Blockbuster motivated its decision by citing customers’ overwhelming demand for Blu Ray.

In addition, more Hollywood studios are behind Sony's HD format. With exception to Universal Studios which is currently the sole promoter of HD DVD, all of the other five major film studios either exclusively back Blu-ray or release movies on both formats.

Lastly, the recent PS3 price drop of $100 wasn't just for gamers, it was partly an effort to help boost Blu-ray adoption against the Microsoft backed HD DVD. The difference, however, is that PS3 comes standard with Blu-ray, whereas Xbox 360 owners must additionally purchase the HD DVD drive should they choose to also enjoy HD movies. This is a significant advantage for Sony as every PS3 owner is also a Blu-ray owner. Microsoft on the other hand proposed a $50 price cut for the external HD DVD drive, starting August 1.

But just because Blu-ray is slowly gaining traction, it doesn't mean consumers have chosen a side. According to one report, less than 10 % of U.S. consumers are even familiar with either HD DVD or Blu-ray.

Widespread confusion and general apathy aren't good for either format.

The cited report estimates that, with set-top box models and game consoles combined, more than 32 million Blu-ray and HD DVD players will be sold in United States by 2011, an 85% increase from the 4.9 million units

3. blu ray vs.hd dvd latest

4. ps3 not harder to develop for says GRAW team

5. Epic vice president applauds extra "legroom" on PS3's discs

epic

oh my god, what am i to do?? my ps3 which also doubles as my pc, internet browser, blu ray player, multimedia device, with free online service, will soon be obsolete!!!!!!! :lol:

It's called the official ps3 thread for a reason. If you don't own one or don't ever want one, then get out.

Ahead of the July video game sales data from The NPD Group, which is expected on August 23, Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter has issued his usual preview report, suggesting U.S. software sales of $425 million, up 12.5% compared to last year's $378 million.

His overall forecast includes an estimated sell-through of 450,000 DS units, 330,000 Wiis, 115,000 Xbox 360s, 160,000 PS3s, 205,000 PS2s, 225,000 PSPs, and 85,000 GBA units.

do you even but just a little bit of thought into your posts ?

sales matter because that's how developers decide which console to put greater effort into ... just look at EA as an example ... the 360 has almost a 3x larger install base so they spend a greater portion of their development time trying to refine the gameplay for the 360 version of their games ..

Are you joking? The internet on the PS3 so unbelievably slow...

Not to mention it's so bloody dangerous surfing the net with little to no security on your PS3.

There's word of phishing and trojans being made strictly for the PS3.

Multi-media device? It doesn't even support divx.

I like the blu-ray player though, although I'm a little miffed that paramount has gone HD DVD exclusive today :(

Guess I'll have to buy one for my 360....

Seriously though, don't be a fanboy; go out and buy a 360, they are cheap now and have WAY more games.

Not to mention some seriously kick donkey titles like Gears of war, dead rising, lost planet, Overlord, and many more that are coming out in the next few months.

The PS3 is a great system , but it doesn't even compare to the 360 as a gaming console right now. It doesn't have good third party support and it's going to take at least a year or two before we really start seeing the power of it.

Just_one does have a point, there is no denying that the PS3 has a more impressive line-up for 2008. Whereas the 360 has most of it's badboys coming out in the next few months. (although the Wii and PS3 have some very good looking games as well)

But it's not all that surprising. The 360 had a big year in 07 cause it was it's second full year, whereas 08 will be the 2nd full year for PS3. The 360's next big year will be 09, when you will see sequels :P

Oh and heres the reason why GTA5 was delayed...(THE 360 version is a port BTW)

And industry analyst Michael Pachter has gone on record saying that the delay of Grand Theft Auto IV from November until next year was due to Rockstar struggling to port the Xbox 360 version of the game – a problem that would be down to the developers themselves, not the hardware.

Perhaps it's just the games that get me fired up about the Sony V MS rivalry.

PS3 owners always reference Motorstorm.... I don't know why... Off-Road Driving Sim? Not my cup of tea... Never been a big MGS fan either.

I've played through a PS3 titles... still feels like they're playing catch-up.

And to respond to the above, this time their opponent isn't running out of money, and they are dropping exclusives every other week.

Archived