The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Well, gas tax, car leavy, whatever. I just think a gas tax is better as it's more a user pay, even someone that just has a car for weekends would pay as much on a car levy as somoene driving 24/7.

I am pretty sure the existing gas taxes fed and provincial combined easily make enough money to operate all of our big dreamy ideas, but that money is already spoken for.

Be evil and have BOTH the gas tax and car levy. :P

For about a decade before Hong Kong returned to China, a lot of citizens feared that they would be immersed into communist rule once the British flag was lowered and the Chinese flag was raised in Central. And much of these fears were also magnified by what happened at Tiananmen Square in 1989.

So then, you had droves of Hong Kongers moving to the Lower Mainland and Toronto.

Of course, the communist crackdown in Hong Kong never happened....and the immigration patterns between Hong Kong and Vancouver have pretty much gone down and leveled. Some are in fact moving back to HK. At the same time, some are also moving here for our superior education system....just look at the number of Chinese immigrants in our elementary/high-schools and universities. Of course, this isn't just the Hong Kongers it's Chinese people in general. In fact, there has been a recent spike in Chinese mainlanders immigrating here.

Yep, the business climate and standard of living are good enough it's no surprise people are willing to take the risk. If were going to copy HK we should copy it a little more exactly, i.e. go ganbusters expanding the port, make business taxes and regulation next to nothing so business wants to develope in the core, and embrace private involvement in public transit to a degree that makes a PPP look downright communist.

Ironically, many of the people that hate highways and claim that it could all be solved through transit like HK would throw a fit if the policies above that make HK tick and all that transit possible are even considered.

Yep, the business climate and standard of living are good enough it's no surprise people are willing to take the risk. If were going to copy HK we should copy it a little more exactly, i.e. go ganbusters expanding the port, make business taxes and regulation next to nothing so business wants to develope in the core, and embrace private involvement in public transit to a degree that makes a PPP look downright communist.

Ironically, many of the people that hate highways and claim that it could all be solved through transit like HK would throw a fit if the policies above that make HK tick and all that transit possible are even considered.

I don't exactly hate highways....it's just with the current Gateway plan, particularly the Highway 01 and Port Mann expansion it seems to be more tuned for single-occupancy drivers. You'll still have only one HOV lane going in each direction.

I'm all for the North and South Fraser Perimeter Roads btw.

I for one would like to see a massive port built at Delta, replacing all of the port facilities in Vancouver Harbour and the Fraser River. That way, it's easier for cargo to move in and out without having to fight through city traffic....there will be a massive railyard at the port plus it'll also be served by the South Fraser Perimeter Road.

As for the land freed up by the port moving elsewhere, you could make a killing by redeveloping the area.

As for business taxes, they're a bit high in this city....

People always talk about 2-tier healthcare, but we should have 2-Tier Transit.

Like a special fleet of buses, where you have to be at least 21 to get on. And there is a bouncer at the door - if you're a hobo, or have poor hygiene, you get tossed, no exceptions. If you start acting up, the bouncer tosses you at the next bus stop - no exceptions.

Special buses would have A/C, climate control, aromatherapy, airline seats with the tv's in the back, etc.

extra $5 per trip.

whaddya think??

So, once again, our maturity is determined by days and years...

I'm not agianst the plan, though. It has worked to an extent. In HK's KCR system, there are "1st class" compartments where one pays double fo the trip, but enjoys much superior seating, and a quieter enviroment.

I'm not agianst the plan, though. It has worked to an extent. In HK's KCR system, there are "1st class" compartments where one pays double fo the trip, but enjoys much superior seating, and a quieter enviroment.

Didn't the MTR recently buy the KCR?

Yea, it certainly has worked.....really, we need some transit folks from the MTR working in Translink.

I don't exactly hate highways....it's just with the current Gateway plan, particularly the Highway 01 and Port Mann expansion it seems to be more tuned for single-occupancy drivers. You'll still have only one HOV lane going in each direction.

I'm all for the North and South Fraser Perimeter Roads btw.

I for one would like to see a massive port built at Delta, replacing all of the port facilities in Vancouver Harbour and the Fraser River. That way, it's easier for cargo to move in and out without having to fight through city traffic....there will be a massive railyard at the port plus it'll also be served by the South Fraser Perimeter Road.

As for the land freed up by the port moving elsewhere, you could make a killing by redeveloping the area.

As for business taxes, they're a bit high in this city....

Well, the enviromentalists will hate me, and it will never happen, but I will agree to move all port facilities to delta. The bank is so large there you could actually double the size of Richmond the potential for infilling is rediculous. While were at it we can make the airport waaaay bigger too by the same method. You would need to extend RAV to the port and ferries to get the workers there. And there would need to be a Hwy 99 freeway connection(upgrade existing road), a 99 to number one freeway connection (contentious for sure), a 99 to 15 freeway connection (relatively easy), double or triple tracking of the main lines into the port, and many upgrades to crossings as the train frequentcy would be very high (i.e. convert train tracks to no level crossings). Keep commuters off of our new highways by severy minimising exits, putting in commercial only lanes, charging tolls to others, etc.

Probably easier to just make a freeay connection from the existing port to the highway, even if you do tunnel it, it's at least not that far. As a bonus were not contributing to the existing situation of all jobs relocating to the fartherst fringes of the suburbs.

Or better yet, do both

BTW, just in case you want your transit tunnel going north, I remembered that coal harbour is called coal harbour for a reason, which could turn out to make it impossible to do regardless of money available.

As for the port man, I would agree that two lanes of HOV/Commercial traffic with a reduced toll or what not would be the way to go as well. Either way though, that's just a policy decision, easy enough to paint another lanes worth of HOV diamonds, probably done over the weekend with limited disruption to traffic, what with three lanes left over to divert them to after all.

Be evil and have BOTH the gas tax and car levy. :P

The fact that we don't is about as clear an indicator as there could be that translink is indeed not some sort of dictatorship free of the democratic process.

Personally, as long as they saw something for EVERYONE (not just people using transit) I bet you could win a referendum to approve such a thing. Just have to have some nice presents.

hey, I don't like to be a jerk or anything, and I know there are people under 21 that are fine.

but lets be honest. If I'm riding transit, and I hear the F-Bomb being used every third word, or a play-fight breaks out with guys falling into other passengers, I'm willing to bet my left nut it is some high school cheeze.

in the words of Thom Yorke/Radiohead... "You do it to yourself"

hey, I don't like to be a jerk or anything, and I know there are people under 21 that are fine.

but lets be honest. If I'm riding transit, and I hear the F-Bomb being used every third word, or a play-fight breaks out with guys falling into other passengers, I'm willing to bet my left nut it is some high school cheeze.

in the words of Thom Yorke/Radiohead... "You do it to yourself"

Well we could have passenger screening for people that are under 21. You go and have a brief interview at the office and if you pass, you get an exemption card that you flash the bouncer and then you get on.

If you screw up, you never get to use the service again EVER!

Well we could have passenger screening for people that are under 21. You go and have a brief interview at the office and if you pass, you get an exemption card that you flash the bouncer and then you get on.

ahh... kind of like the velvet rope at a club! I like!

The Liberals understand cities and the need for building new infrastructure and replacing crumbling infrastructure.

Dion commits $70-BILLION to fix crumbling infrastructure

Updated Thu. Sep. 18 2008 2:39 PM ET

ctvtoronto.ca

Liberal Leader Stephane Dion used a Toronto stop to unveil a promise to spend $70 billion over the next decade on infrastructure improvements in Canada.

"Our cities and communities are facing an infrastructure deficit that is affecting Canadians' quality of life, their economic prospects and threatening our environment," he said Thursday.

Climate change could make matters worse, he said.

Experts say climate change could lead to more extreme weather events such as the 150-millimetre deluge in August 2005 that destroyed a northwest Toronto roadway and led to homes flooding because of backed-up storm sewers.

Dion accepted the infrastructure deficit estimate of the Canadian Federation of Municipalities, which pegs the number at $123 billion.

A Liberal government would be a "willing partner" in the following types of mega-projects, he said:

- An East-West energy grid

- An Atlantic energy corridor

- Carbon capture and storage pipeline between Alberta and Saskatchewan

- High-speed rail links in the densest corridors

Achieving such goals will require working together, Dion said. A federal government would contribute through a three-point plan:

- Directing unanticipated federal surpluses above $3 billion towards the infrastructure deficit.

- Raise capital by developing an infrastructure bank that would provide low-cost financing to all levels of government. The bank would be a Crown corporation. Canadians could lend money through the bank by buying green bonds.

- The gas tax transfer would be indexed to economic growth.

Dion, who took the GO Train from Burlington to the news conference, had his GTA candidates forming a backdrop. Deputy Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff introducing him and Christine Innes, in a battle with high-profile NDP incumbent Olivia Chow in Trinity-Spadina, stood to his left.

The city sent 20 of its 23 MPs to Ottawa as Liberals in the 2006 federal election.

Ignatieff tried to contrast his party with the Conservatives' stance on infrastructure, saying that Finance Minister Jim Flaherty once said "'we don't do potholes.'"

However, Flaherty -- MP for Whitby-Oshawa and the minister responsible for Toronto -- has presided over several funding announcements in Canada's largest city, including:

- $9.7 million to provide bus transportation to York University while the subway and rapid transit extension from Downsview station is under construction.

- A permanent extension of gas tax revenues, which would put $830 million towards GTA municipalities between 2005 and 2010. Toronto would get more than $400 million of that.

- The gas tax revenue was to help fix municipal infrastructure such as roads and sewers. Dion said Thursday that the gas tax t ransfer began under a Liberal government.

The Conservatives also announced $500 million for public transit in this year's federal budget.

Earlier this week, Mayor David Miller told reporters he wouldn't endorse any political party. He wore a "vote Toronto" button.

He did say Tuesday that so far, the Green Party was the only one to address the needs of cities so far in the federal election campaign.

"Well, so far the Green party has addressed city issues and I say, 'Good for them.' I would hope the Liberals and the NDP would do the same thing," said Miller.

On Wednesday, Green Leader Elizabeth May said she would raise the GST by one percentage point and direct the revenue to infrastructure. That would represent about $5 billion per year.

The Liberals understand cities and the need for building new infrastructure and replacing crumbling infrastructure.

Dion commits $70-BILLION to fix crumbling infrastructure

Updated Thu. Sep. 18 2008 2:39 PM ET

ctvtoronto.ca

Liberal Leader Stephane Dion used a Toronto stop to unveil a promise to spend $70 billion over the next decade on infrastructure improvements in Canada.

"Our cities and communities are facing an infrastructure deficit that is affecting Canadians' quality of life, their economic prospects and threatening our environment," he said Thursday.

Climate change could make matters worse, he said.

Experts say climate change could lead to more extreme weather events such as the 150-millimetre deluge in August 2005 that destroyed a northwest Toronto roadway and led to homes flooding because of backed-up storm sewers.

Dion accepted the infrastructure deficit estimate of the Canadian Federation of Municipalities, which pegs the number at $123 billion.

A Liberal government would be a "willing partner" in the following types of mega-projects, he said:

- An East-West energy grid

- An Atlantic energy corridor

- Carbon capture and storage pipeline between Alberta and Saskatchewan

- High-speed rail links in the densest corridors

Achieving such goals will require working together, Dion said. A federal government would contribute through a three-point plan:

- Directing unanticipated federal surpluses above $3 billion towards the infrastructure deficit.

- Raise capital by developing an infrastructure bank that would provide low-cost financing to all levels of government. The bank would be a Crown corporation. Canadians could lend money through the bank by buying green bonds.

- The gas tax transfer would be indexed to economic growth.

Dion, who took the GO Train from Burlington to the news conference, had his GTA candidates forming a backdrop. Deputy Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff introducing him and Christine Innes, in a battle with high-profile NDP incumbent Olivia Chow in Trinity-Spadina, stood to his left.

The city sent 20 of its 23 MPs to Ottawa as Liberals in the 2006 federal election.

Ignatieff tried to contrast his party with the Conservatives' stance on infrastructure, saying that Finance Minister Jim Flaherty once said "'we don't do potholes.'"

However, Flaherty -- MP for Whitby-Oshawa and the minister responsible for Toronto -- has presided over several funding announcements in Canada's largest city, including:

- $9.7 million to provide bus transportation to York University while the subway and rapid transit extension from Downsview station is under construction.

- A permanent extension of gas tax revenues, which would put $830 million towards GTA municipalities between 2005 and 2010. Toronto would get more than $400 million of that.

- The gas tax revenue was to help fix municipal infrastructure such as roads and sewers. Dion said Thursday that the gas tax t ransfer began under a Liberal government.

The Conservatives also announced $500 million for public transit in this year's federal budget.

Earlier this week, Mayor David Miller told reporters he wouldn't endorse any political party. He wore a "vote Toronto" button.

He did say Tuesday that so far, the Green Party was the only one to address the needs of cities so far in the federal election campaign.

"Well, so far the Green party has addressed city issues and I say, 'Good for them.' I would hope the Liberals and the NDP would do the same thing," said Miller.

On Wednesday, Green Leader Elizabeth May said she would raise the GST by one percentage point and direct the revenue to infrastructure. That would represent about $5 billion per year.

Except the liberals don't know where that money will come from... healthcare? defence? higher taxes?

So I see with this new bus only lane on Russ Baker, they have given NO merge distance for people coming off of Gilbert. El Cheapo in the worst way. They didn't make a new lane, they just eliminated the old merge lane.

But they have planted 5 ceadar bushes I am presuming for cops to hide behind to catch bus lane cheaters.

So I see with this new bus only lane on Russ Baker, they have given NO merge distance for people coming off of Gilbert. El Cheapo in the worst way. They didn't make a new lane, they just eliminated the old merge lane.

But they have planted 5 ceadar bushes I am presuming for cops to hide behind to catch bus lane cheaters.

Not really el cheapo...just idiots in the worst sense. Buses tend to use the shoulder to get onto the bus only lane, but using shoulders are a norm.

I'd love to see that BOV lane converted into a HOV lane, with it extended to Airport Stn, where the current one is.

Not really el cheapo...just idiots in the worst sense. Buses tend to use the shoulder to get onto the bus only lane, but using shoulders are a norm.

I'd love to see that BOV lane converted into a HOV lane, with it extended to Airport Stn, where the current one is.

Better yet blow up that whole interchange and try again.

You should need that just to be in public never mind on a bus.

Dion commits $70-BILLION to Ontario and Quebec to fix crumbling infrastructure

Maybe a pittance for the west Dion says, after all, we just gave you money.

Fixed it for you. That last thing I would count on is the Feds to save us.

Better yet blow up that whole interchange and try again.

That interchange isn't so bad if you know how to use it.

The real tricky part is going from Arthur Laing to the No. 3 Road area, and vice versa. But to the rest of Richmond or YVR is easy.

Edited by BuckyHermit

That interchange isn't so bad if you know how to use it.

The real tricky part is going from Arthur Laing to the No. 3 Road area, and vice versa. But to the rest of Richmond or YVR is easy.

The fun part is when you're on Sea Island bridge heading westbound and you want to get onto the Arthur Laing bridge.

I think rollercoaster designers created taht S-turn.

Edited by blue.dragon258