99 replies to this topic

#61 BigUncle16

BigUncle16

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:11 PM

How about building street cars/LRT/whatever else ON CAMPUS. It's a freaking huge campus with little to no options to get across from one end to the other.
Posted Image

#62 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:14 PM

How about building street cars/LRT/whatever else ON CAMPUS. It's a freaking huge campus with little to no options to get across from one end to the other.

1) Shuttle buses
2) Bike
3) WALK!!!!!!!

LTR on campus would be a huuuuuge waste of money. And I think that walking across campus is, for some students, the only exercise they really get.

#63 BuckyHermit

BuckyHermit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:06 PM

1) Shuttle buses
2) Bike
3) WALK!!!!!!!

LTR on campus would be a huuuuuge waste of money. And I think that walking across campus is, for some students, the only exercise they really get.

There's a Nike+iPod walk/run challenge that would give y'all an incentive to exercise. :)

For the off-season NHL challenge, the Canucks are getting SLAUGHTERED in the standings with only 111.32 miles logged, good for 12th place out of 30 NHL teams. For an exercise-crazy city like Vancouver, I kinda expected better. (UBC in-campus commuting, ie. walking, should be a huge advantage by itself. If a bunch of UBC students joined, my Ducks would be screwed !)

The leaders are the Flyers and Ducks with 696.83 miles and 670.17 miles, respectively.

Edited by BuckyHermit, 17 July 2009 - 11:07 PM.

Posted Image

Anaheim Ducks Towel Invasions

♥ Rolly / 1994-2010 ♥

#64 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

For the off-season NHL challenge, the Canucks are getting SLAUGHTERED in the standings with only 111.32 miles logged, good for 12th place out of 30 NHL teams. For an exercise-crazy city like Vancouver, I kinda expected better.

That has nothing to do with how much we exercise in Vancouver, it has to do with how many people joined that contest that I've never heard about, and how much THEY walk.

#65 BuckyHermit

BuckyHermit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:27 PM

That has nothing to do with how much we exercise in Vancouver, it has to do with how many people joined that contest that I've never heard about, and how much THEY walk.

Still disappointing. It was advertised on the Nike+ forums and everything. Most NHL teams with any clout got decent numbers. Look at the teams above and below Vancouver -- not exactly hockey powerhouses, maybe except for Toronto. Exercise plus hockey fandom should be the perfect storm. (I dunno how the hell the Flyers got so many though.)

Edited by BuckyHermit, 17 July 2009 - 11:29 PM.

Posted Image

♥ Rolly / 1994-2010 ♥

#66 nitronuts

nitronuts

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:40 AM

Ideally, have a frequent bus that does a loop around campus. But really, although it's a relatively long walk (10-mins from end to end) the university is very walkable....and it's great exercise.
Posted Image

#67 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:44 AM

Still disappointing. It was advertised on the Nike+ forums and everything. Most NHL teams with any clout got decent numbers. Look at the teams above and below Vancouver -- not exactly hockey powerhouses, maybe except for Toronto. Exercise plus hockey fandom should be the perfect storm. (I dunno how the hell the Flyers got so many though.)

I maintain that I've never heard of it, despite being a huge hockey fan and very into exercise.

I guess it's all about differences in advertising. Maybe in Philly they did a better job.

#68 BuckyHermit

BuckyHermit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:54 AM

I maintain that I've never heard of it, despite being a huge hockey fan and very into exercise.

I guess it's all about differences in advertising. Maybe in Philly they did a better job.

Or maybe not many people in Vancouver are into the whole Nike+iPod thing... there's a pretty significant community out there.

Edited by BuckyHermit, 18 July 2009 - 12:55 AM.

Posted Image

♥ Rolly / 1994-2010 ♥

#69 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,704 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:41 AM

Ideally, have a frequent bus that does a loop around campus. But really, although it's a relatively long walk (10-mins from end to end) the university is very walkable....and it's great exercise.

What's the point? it's not like students need to get from SUB to totem at 10:30am.

Besides, UBC's a walkable campus, save the botan. gardens, but there's always the C20 for that.

#70 nitronuts

nitronuts

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

^ which is why i said it's a very walkable university and it's great exercise.
Posted Image

#71 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:32 AM

What's the point? it's not like students need to get from SUB to totem at 10:30am.

Besides, UBC's a walkable campus, save the botan. gardens, but there's always the C20 for that.

I think he said in his post that it's walkable.....

#72 nitronuts

nitronuts

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:06 AM

The LRT advocates (the misinformed, ignorant, NIMBY and/or self-interest focused) are gaining ground on making LRT the preferred technology for the Broadway corridor (note: self-interested individuals particularly refer to Fraser Valley residents attempting to reduce the project to LRT - building it wrong - so that they can LRT in the Fraser Valley...supposedly, it's a greater need than Broadway). This LRT group is scary.

There will likely be public meetings on the project soon, held by Translink, but in the meantime keep up to date by JOINING THE FACEBOOK GROUP THAT SUPPORTS SKYTRAIN ALONG THE BROADWAY CORRIDOR TO UBC: http://www.facebook....80534833&ref=nf

Posted Image
Posted Image

#73 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:24 AM

I love how someone who disagrees with you is misinformed/ignorant/self-focused, rather than they just have a different opinion than you. Too funny.

#74 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:45 AM

I love how someone who disagrees with you is misinformed/ignorant/self-focused, rather than they just have a different opinion than you. Too funny.

It's accurate.

They are misinformed and ignorant because they think that a street-level system with low capacity will successfully operate along Broadway when it won't. Look at the Canada line for example. They wanted LRT there too, we built a subway and it's already having capacity issues as built and needs more cars and expanded platforms soon.

They're self-focused because they want to push LRT on Broadway so they can get LRT in the valley.
Moo

#75 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:50 AM

It's accurate.

They are misinformed and ignorant because they think that a street-level system with low capacity will successfully operate along Broadway when it won't. Look at the Canada line for example. They wanted LRT there too, we built a subway and it's already having capacity issues as built and needs more cars and expanded platforms soon.

They're self-focused because they want to push LRT on Broadway so they can get LRT in the valley.

Hey I agree we need a proper subway along Broadway, but they're not ignorant, they just want something different. Come on, laugh a little.

#76 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,110 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

Running from muggers....

#77 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:41 AM

Hey I agree we need a proper subway along Broadway, but they're not ignorant, they just want something different. Come on, laugh a little.

Ignorant simply means that they don't know, not that they're idiots. Either these people simply don't know what it will take to improve Broadway the right way, or they DO know and are being dicks.
Moo

#78 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

Ignorant simply means that they don't know, not that they're idiots. Either these people simply don't know what it will take to improve Broadway the right way, or they DO know and are being dicks.

Or maybe they have a different vision of what the 'right way' is.

#79 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:59 AM

What is "right" in this case is a matter of fact, not of opinion.

Paving over the entire west side of Vancouver and turning into one giant parking lot is a vision too.
Moo

#80 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

What is "right" in this case is a matter of fact, not of opinion.

Paving over the entire west side of Vancouver and turning into one giant parking lot is a vision too.

:rolleyes: Ok champ, whatever you say.

#81 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,110 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Pretty much the status quo right way transit out to UBC has been for 40 years at least now. Frankly, not being worried about not making an exam on time after experiencing sitting at a transit stop for 30 minutes plus as you get pass up after pass up, and making that long walk onto campus so you KNOW you will be on time is a time honoured campus tradition.

Really, why dump all over people who's plans will keep traditions alive?

#82 nitronuts

nitronuts

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

These people believe that:

1) LRT on Broadway will take 3-months to build.

2) LRT on Broadway will create very little disruption to businesses.

3) LRT will cost only $15-million per kilometre, and at the same time they claim the LRT will have the features of a $70-million per kilometre LRT!

4) Vancouver commuters don't mind longer travel times.

5) The Canada Line is a riderless white elephant.

6) A SkyTrain to UBC only serves UBC...there is a lack of understanding of the importance of the Broadway corridor as a whole.

7) The ridership on Broadway does not justify SkyTrain. :lol:

8) "Subway lines need 400,000 passengers per day to be feasible" :towel:

There's opinion, and then there's just delusions and misinformation that are repeated so many times some people begin to think it's factual.

A lot of NIMBY's can't conceptualize that their corridor is a regional corridor tens and tens and tens of thousands of people use everyday. They want streetcar/LRT, which is marginally better than the existing Broadway trolleys and the 98 B-Line...however, it'll most certainly be slower than the 98. Many of these Broadway LRT activists don't even ride transit; they lack a real world view of how transit works.

SkyTrain makes so much sense in every way. It's the one and only long-term solution, and I do hope we've learned our lessons with underbuilding as we did for the Canada Line.

Edited by nitronuts, 27 January 2010 - 11:45 AM.

Posted Image

#83 nitronuts

nitronuts

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

It's accurate.

To be fair, the short-term capacity problems with the Canada Line will be because of a lack of trains in service. Right now, only 14 of the 20 trains are being put into service during peak. Another 4 trains can be added, but they choose not to...until next year, as contracted.

I'd say that by 2015, we'd have to get more trains....and we will continue to do so until the max. number of trains for the system have been bought (and that's 40 trains). By then, we'd be at 2025-2030 and we would have to consider lengthening trains and platforms for that additional car. By 2040, the Canada Line would probably be at max. capacity and would require a multi-billion refit for much longer platforms.
Posted Image

#84 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:50 AM

These people believe that:

1) LRT on Broadway will take 3-months to build.

2) LRT on Broadway will create very little disruption to businesses.

3) LRT will cost only $15-million per kilometre, and at the same time they claim the LRT will have the features of a $70-million per kilometre LRT!

4) Vancouver commuters don't mind longer travel times.

5) The Canada Line is a riderless white elephant.

6) A SkyTrain to UBC only serves UBC...there is a lack of understanding of the importance of the Broadway corridor as a whole.

7) The ridership on Broadway does not justify SkyTrain. :lol:

8) "Subway lines need 400,000 passengers per day to be feasible" :towel:

There's opinion, and then there's just delusions and misinformation that are repeated so many times some people begin to think it's factual.

A lot of NIMBY's can't conceptualize that their corridor is a regional corridor tens and tens and tens of thousands of people use everyday. They want streetcar/LRT, which is marginally better than the existing Broadway trolleys and the 98 B-Line...however, it'll most certainly be slower than the 98. Many of these Broadway LRT activists don't even ride transit; they lack a real world view of how transit works.

SkyTrain makes so much sense in every way. It's the one and only long-term solution, and I do hope we've learned our lessons with underbuilding as we did for the Canada Line.

Hey, I agree with you. We need a proper subway along Broadway. But please stop with the insults just cause someone doesn't agree/share your view of what's 'right'.

#85 nitronuts

nitronuts

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:54 AM

Hey, I agree with you. We need a proper subway along Broadway. But please stop with the insults just cause someone doesn't agree/share your view of what's 'right'.

Like I said before, they can disagree with the use of SkyTrain but to go off spouting very wrong information to support their LRT cause is very troubling and a huge concern...I mean, LRT on Broadway is going to cost $15-million per kilometre? :blink:
Posted Image

#86 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

I'm gonna get a jetpack. Screw upasses. ^_^

#87 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:02 PM

Like I said before, they can disagree with the use of SkyTrain but to go off spouting very wrong information to support their LRT cause is very troubling and a huge concern...I mean, LRT on Broadway is going to cost $15-million per kilometre? :blink:

You can twist figures and dollar amounts to make them say whatever you want to say, I'm sure you know that.

But whatever, it's not like the city/translink engineers are reading a blog to figure out how much things costs. ;)

#88 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,110 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:10 PM

You can twist figures and dollar amounts to make them say whatever you want to say, I'm sure you know that.

But whatever, it's not like the city/translink engineers are reading a blog to figure out how much things costs. ;)

No, but they are liable to be swayed by public pressure. Engineers (unfortunately) are far from having the final say on what ends up getting built.

#89 nitronuts

nitronuts

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:11 PM

The problem is the public is buying it. Translink and city engineers want SkyTrain and know the corridor needs SkyTrain.
Posted Image

#90 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

The problem is the public is buying it. Translink and city engineers want SkyTrain and know the corridor needs SkyTrain.

Where do you see that? I haven't heard anything to be honest either way...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.