The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Khadr Sentenced To 40 Years By Military Tribunal

GarthButcher

Oh, just saying that it would be foolish for YOU to challenge the report.

Just like it would be foolish to not expect someone in that kind of legal matter to present their own case as to his stability. I don't think it would be that hard to find someone to suggest that someone born and raised as a terrorist with years of brainwashing and weapons training under this best MIGHT be a threat, especially after years in GITMO, which even in your report was shown to be a possible risk.

Either way, I am not in a court of law, and frankly I am allowed to have my own opinion on the matter.

Given the attitudes of the family and his deposit into terrorist uni at age ten it's not outrageous to suggest he had a lifetime of indoctrination.

And no he's not Osama but didn't daddy used to hang out with him? Unlike you or me there's a good chance he actually met him!

You are quite free to express an uninformed opinion... and others are free to point out its lack of foundation.

The assessments were done by the Canadian government officials and filed with Foreign Affairs as part of their mandate to monitor Canadians held in detention in foreign countries.

They also reference reports done by the US military.

Given the attitudes of the family and his deposit into terrorist uni at age ten it's not outrageous to suggest he had a lifetime of indoctrination.

And no he's not Osama but didn't daddy used to hang out with him? Unlike you or me there's a good chance he actually met him!

You are free to call it uninformed but that is not correct. I looked at the available information (including your stuff) and came up with a different conclusion. Referring to a differnce of opinion as uniformed is so tiring.

Like many Canadians, my view of the Canadian governments ability to asses risk in potentially dangerous people is woefully inadequate and a simply report based on a few meeting is hardly reasssuring.

You are free to call it uninformed but that is not correct. I looked at the available information (including your stuff) and came up with a different conclusion. Referring to a differnce of opinion as uniformed is so tiring.

Like many Canadians, my view of the Canadian governments ability to asses risk in potentially dangerous people is woefully inadequate and a simply report based on a few meeting is hardly reasssuring.

You need to understand that child soldiers at international law are not committing War Crimes - they are considered victims of a War Crime. Canada was responsible for pushing for the protocol and the first signatory.

Unfortunately, the fathers sin was to work to get him trained up as a terrorist. Unfortunately said training is what is problematic IMO. The Gitmo stuff didn't help either.

I agree the major problem was the father, but he's already dead so what we gonna do about that?

It is also most likely that George Bush Senior met him as well given the business dealings that Bush has with the Bin Laden in respect of oil interests. So what?

As a child soldier Canada is obligated at international law to treat Omar Khadr as a victim of a War Crime and to apply demobilization, disarmament and reintegration (DDR) programs - not prosecution or imprisonment.

Yeah? What other information did you look at, other than his stuff?

And please..don't make me now quote Bertuzzi in characterising your conclusions.

You think Canada's ability to label Omar a terrorist after a couple of brief meetings by CSIS agents towing the political line, is any more reassuring, than those who drafted a report on his potential danger, if released?

Hypocrisy knows no bounds, eh?

Uh...how about not punishing a child for acts committed by a father on him and on the battelfield? That would be a good place to start. And next, how about brining some real justice to Omar and prepare him for reintegration into society, without excommunicating him or banishing him to some place that would ensure his 'conversion'....either deprogram him....or re-arm him...that's our choice.

If you have looked at it and come to such a conclusion then your opinion is uninformed - that can relate to both a failure to consider as well as failure to comprehend. In your case it would seem the latter.

Unfortunately, the fathers sin was to work to get him trained up as a terrorist. Unfortunately said training is what is problematic IMO. The Gitmo stuff didn't help either.

I agree the major problem was the father, but he's already dead so what we gonna do about that?

Again, you believe what you want to believe, what you've been led to and told to believe, and nothing or no one will change your already made up mind. That's a dangerous level of obstinancy and herd mentality.

If either could be true, why put weight on CSIS, who have a horrible track record on assessments and communication, and not on the equally 'professional' psych assessments?

Again, you believe what you want to believe, what you've been led to and told to believe, and nothing or no one will change your already made up mind. That's a dangerous level of obstinancy and herd mentality.

Archived