The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Wii U thread

avelanch

Anyone think Nintendo is going to go bankrupt??? I couldn't go on in life without new Pokemon games. Better than any Sony or Microsoft games.

they have trillions of yen in the bank, they have never sold anything at a loss, ever. this was the first year they EVER posted a loss, and it was miniscule, and is a result of them transfering to a new system (R&D, prodction, etc). they are not going bankrupt, and quite frankly they would be the last company in videogames that would do so, as they are the most well off and stable company in the business. Sony, on the other hand, is about a generation or 2 away from exiting altogether.

Here's Why Nintendo's Wii U Has To Release On Sunday, November 18

Jason Evangelho, Contributor

8/27/2012 @ 3:37PM

300px-Wii_U_controller_illustration.svg_2.png

Illustration made in Inkscape by Tokyoship. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Nintendo has held the release date for their upcoming Wii U console close to their chest, but accessory maker PDP may have accidentally spilled it during a GameStopmanager’s conference. It’s already public knowledge that Nintendo is hosting a special Wii U press event on September 13 in New York, and it’s widely assumed the company will use this event to finally reveal the Wii U’s retail release date in the US. If multiple sources are to be believed, that date will be November 18.

Gaming site Kotaku broke the rumor earlier today, and it goes something like this: PDP (widely known for their Afterglow and aftermarket accessories) was presenting their Wii U peripherals to a collection of GameStop managers when one of PDP’s representatives indicated that the “peripherals would be available just ahead of the Wii U’s November 18 release date.” Kotaku’s source wished to remain anonymous, but a separate individual on popular message board NeoGAF posted the same date.

The presentation was likely to secure a place in GameStop stores during the crucial holiday shopping season.

While I never chalk something up as fact until confirmed by an official source, this release date is believable and holds value to Nintendo. To begin with, November 18 is a Sunday, and Nintendo has released their high-profile first-party titles on Sundays for several years (including the Wii and 3DS systems).

Secondly, Thanksgiving is November 22 — meaning Black Friday is November 23. For Nintendo to lay claim to consumer dollars, it must have the Wii U on store shelves before the masses begin their holiday shopping.

Finally, November 18 falls just after the release of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2and Microsoft‘s Halo 4, both high-profile games that promise to dominate consumer mindshare. If that isn’t enough to convince you, consider that Nintendo’s Gamecube launched on November 18, 2001, and the original Wii launched on November 19, 2006.

I’ve reached out to Nintendo, but they have a history of not commenting on rumors and speculation. Expect silence until the Wii U event on September 13, where hopefully Nintendo will also announce the Wii U’s price tag.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2012/08/27/heres-why-nintendos-wii-u-has-to-release-on-sunday-november-18/

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on how the final product is and the price, I'd consider picking up the Wii U. I never got the Wii due to the craptacular graphics, so if this new system is on par/exceeds Xbox 360, I'd be tempted.

However, I will definitely be getting the new Xbox. Halo FTW!

Depending on how the final product is and the price, I'd consider picking up the Wii U. I never got the Wii due to the craptacular graphics, so if this new system is on par/exceeds Xbox 360, I'd be tempted.

However, I will definitely be getting the new Xbox. Halo FTW!

it is.

notes from the japanese presentation:

11:58: And here we go. Livestream starts in two minutes. Apparently it’ll be 20 minutes in length. There’s actually another livestream for the Japanese audience that will be broadcast simultaneously with the American press briefing, containing new Wii U software announcements. So the briefing that’s about to begin will be restricted mostly to info about the hardware itself.

12:00: Starts right on time. Iwata’s on screen explaining that this presentation is about the hardware, and third party software will be discussed during the next presentation later in the day.

12:01: Iwata is going over Wii U’s upgrades, like HD graphics. Looks like there’ll be 2 GB of RAM on board, 1 GB for games and 2 GB for the system software.

12:02: He’s going over all of the things that having more RAM does for you, like faster load times, etc. Discs will be 25 GB in capacity.

12:03: Wii’s energy requirements: 75 watts.

12:04: You can move your WiiWare and Virtual Console games from the Wii over to the Wii U. (We knew this already.)

12:05: Going over previously known features of the Wii U GamePad.

12:06: Talking about latency — how the GamePad interacts with the TV with no perceptible lag between the two screens.

12:07: Going over what the original Wii hardware was like, how it brought people together into the living room to play games. The idea of Wii U, Iwata says, is you can bring people together to play, or just play by yourself (using the Wii U GamePad as a personal screen).

12:10: Other possible uses of the Wii U GamePad: Have the map and other HUD data for a game on the lower screen, instead of cluttering up the TV! (Yes, yes. We’ve heard this a million times…)

12:11: In the history of TV videogames, Iwata says, this is the first time a home game system lets you play games even if you don’t use the TV.

12:12: Talking up two launch titles, New Super Mario Bros. U and NintendoLand.

12:13: This is the first Mario game to launch with a Nintendo home console since Super Mario 64 in 1996, he says. They’ll be released on the same day as Wii U in Japan. In both disc and download versions.

12:14: The Wii U Pro Controller will launch in both black and white for 5,040 yen (about $50).

12:15: Wii U stand, Wii U Game Pad stand and Wii U Game Pad charging stand will also launch. The Wii U Game Pad will include an AC Adapter and sell for about 13,000 yen (about $150).

12:16: They’re doing two SKUs for Wii U hardware.

12:17: Premium Set: Wii U Hardware, AC Adapter, Wii U GamePad, Game Pad AC Adapter, and HDMI Cable.

Basic Set: 8 GB of onboard storage for digital games, Premium Set: 32 GB.

The Premium Set will include a membership into “Nintendo Network Premium,” which will give users 10% off digital software purchases as well as other benefits.

The Premium Set will also include the stands for the system and the Game Pad.

12:18: They’ll sell a Wii Remote, Nunchuk and Sensor Bar as a set for customers who don’t already have it.

Premium Set: 31,500 yen. Basic Set: 26,250. That’s roughly $350 and $300, but would point to $300 and $250 bundles in the U.S. if the bundles are identical.\

Release date for Japan: December 8.

given the choice, i'll be getting the premium for sure. 32 GB plus an additional 32 GB with the SD expansion should be MORE than plenty of space for anything I need.

North american presentation in 27 min ::D

2 configs

basic - console, gamepad, ac adapter for both, HDMI cable, and sensor bar, 8GB memory - all white -$299.99

deluxe - everything in basic but in black, bigger memory (32 GB), charging cradel, controller and console stands, and NintendoLand, plus premium membership (10% discount, points tracking, rewards, etc) - $349.99

new, non-gaming, "different" initiative - broader entertainment experience.

Nintendo TVii !!!!!!!

WTF

it allows you to find shows, sports, and movies and watch them on demand (netflix, hulu plus, or amazon prime), or live, chat with others watching the same thing, and pull up stats/additional info on the controller relating to whats on the tv (stats for sports, behind the scenes stuff for tv/movies, and additional info, imdb, and wikipedia links).

DVR functionality and integration also, only tivo was shown though. can pull up stored shows, setup recordings, etc.

favorites attached to your mii, same with recommendations (apparently reggie is a big breaking bad fan)

remote jog dial to choose favorite channels, and all other functions normally associated with any universal remote.

commenting on shows you can post to facebook/twitter. you can scroll backwards in the program timeline on the gamepad if you tuned in late to see what you missed, even if it's not on your DVR.

Nintendo TVii is us and canada only right now, and completely free/integrated in the console.

activision up now

skylanders giants - looks pretty decent

wipeout 3 - meh

007 legends- looks amazing

transformers prime: the game - pretty sweet looking

this launch presentation already blows every E3 presentation nintendo has ever done out of the water.

Archived