995 replies to this topic

#571 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,359 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Wii U sold 400,000 last week, and the discounted Wii sold another 300,000.

Good news? Not necessarily - XBox sold more than both combined. Could be simply the Black Friday spree.
Posted Image

#572 Mr.Mulletandbars

Mr.Mulletandbars

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Last Saturday and I went Christmas shopping and decided to pop in at EB Games (Winnipeg). Not only did they have Wii U consoles for sale, but they had 20 available. I started chatting with the sales girl to pass time, and she asked if I would like to buy a Wii U. When I said no, she said, "Please buy one. We have had 20 sitting here since Wednesday and nobody has bought one yet."

I understand that not all markets are the same, but when the Wii came out, it took forever to find one. Not a good sign for Nintendo at all.

Oh yeah? What store was that?

#573 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

I've seen tons as well in the Lower Mainland...I might buy one down the road though.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#574 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Lp

#575 Mufasa

Mufasa

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Lp
RIP - Rick Rypien
PSN - BthaKing

#576 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Wow, the amount of no hype around this system is sad. It is literally rickity crickets.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#577 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

I'm sorry, i've been too busy enjoying my wii U to bother trying to convince the haters that it's worth picking up, since you're not going to bother with it no matter what I say.

#578 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

I'm sorry, i've been too busy enjoying my wii U to bother trying to convince the haters that it's worth picking up, since you're not going to bother with it no matter what I say.

That's not necessarily true though. I won't buy one because Nintendo is doing a p*ss poor job promoting it. Right now, the only people who could possibly try and convince me to buy one would be people like you who own one. As it is, I don't even know if employees at Nintendo have played it because they sure as crap can't explain to me why it is worth my time.

#579 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

That's not necessarily true though. I won't buy one because Nintendo is doing a p*ss poor job promoting it. Right now, the only people who could possibly try and convince me to buy one would be people like you who own one. As it is, I don't even know if employees at Nintendo have played it because they sure as crap can't explain to me why it is worth my time.

i'd suggest going to one of the mall "wii-u experience" installations to try it for yourself if you want to see why you should buy it.

#580 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Wii U News Explosion: New Zelda, Mario, More

All the info from today's massive Nintendo Direct in one place.

by Keza MacDonald
JANUARY 23, 2013

Well! That was a surprise. It started slow, but today's Nintendo Direct broadcast brought absolutely massive news from the Japanese giant, with no fewer than seven new games announced (and one remake). We now know what Nintendo is going to be showing at E3, and what to expect from Wii U this year. Here's everything that happened in one handy place.

A New, HD Zelda

It's clearly at a very early stage, but Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma gave us the first information about the next game in this beloved series. Promising that the team is "rethinking the conventions of Zelda," like completing dungeons in order and the series almost exclusively single-player heritage, he promised a newborn Zelda that will delve into the series' early history for its inspiration.
(Full story)

An Old Zelda, Remade

The GameCube's The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is being remade for Wii U, including new Wii U Gamepad features and Gamepad-only play. It'll be out in August of this year. Iwata presented it as something to keep us going until the big new Zelda, which is likely to be some years away. It's got upgraded graphics, it works with Miiverse, and it's got gorgeous new lighting. The sample artwork that we saw was stunning: a mixture of Skyward Sword's vibrancy and Twilight Princess' detail. We saw recognisable snapshots of Wind Waker's Windfall Island.
(Full story)

Smash Bros, New 3D Mario and Mario Kart Confirmed for E3

Iwata laid the foundations for a strong Nintendo showing at E3, stating that a new Mario Kart and the much-anticipated new Wii U and 3DS Smash Bros game will be making appearances. The big one, though, was the announcement of a new 3D Mario, which will debut at the show - it's being made by the same team behind the Galaxy games and Super Mario 3D Land. Everything will be playable at E3 in June.
(Full story)

Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei

Following Nintendo's announcement that Project X Zone for Western territories earlier this year, Iwata brought us news that another crossover game is on the way: Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei is the lovechild of Intelligent Systems and Atlus, and all we got was a thematic trailer - but I think we can safely bet on a strategy RPG.
(Full story)

A New RPG From The Xenoblade Chronicles Studio

Monolith Soft, the developer responsible for the Wii's sublime Xenoblade Chronicles (and the rest of the Xeno series), is creating a new RPG for Wii U. It might even be a sequel to Chronicles - it looks extremely similar in terms of art style and combat system, going by the footage shown. But it's in HD, of course, so it looks even better. The trailer's final 'X' definitely suggests we're looking at another Xeno game, even if it's not a direct sequel.
(Full story)

The Virtual Console is Coming to Wii U

Surprise! Well, not really - we knew this was going to happen, but now we know when it's going to happen. Nintendo's Virtual Console will roll out on Wii U this April, beginning with NES and SNES games. Pricing is the same as it was on Wii (around $5/£5), and if you bought the game already you can unlock it on Wii U for $1/99p or so (no prices for other territories yet), which will let you play it on the Gamepad and add Miiverse support. That's a lot of money if you have several Virtual Console games; presumably, if you don't want to pay the extra, you can still play them in Wii mode without Wii U features. There's a nice introductory trial campaign, too, offering various NES games for $0.30 for 30 days.
(Full story)

Wii U Party is Happening

Given that Wii Party is one of the best-selling games of all time, it's hardly surprising to learn that there's a Wii U mini-game compilation in the same vein on its way. It's coming this Summer; we saw dice-rolling and two-player baseball. It looks a bit like some of the concept demos in the original Wii U announce video.
(Full story)

Yoshi's Land For Wii U

This has been rumoured for a while, but it's turned out to be real! A new Yoshi game in the style of Kirby's Epic Yarn (and made by the same team) is in development for Wii U under the supervision of Yoshi's Story and Yoshi's Island director Takashi Tezuka. We saw a lovely-looking woollen Yoshi gobbling and stomping on enemies. It'll be a 2D platformer, then, but that's all we know for now.
(Full story)

Some Nice Miiverse Upgrades

Alongside the Virtual Console announcement came news of a few updates to the Wii U operating system, one in Spring and one in Summer. Miiverse will expand, allowing people to create their own communities and making space for more than one community per game. Miiverse is also coming to smartphones and PC at some point this year. In Pikmin 3, you'll be able to take pictures of tiny Pikmin wildlife and post it to Miiverse, and Wii Fit U will let you compare fitness notes.
(Full story)

What a day. 2013 suddenly looks like a much better year for the Wii U than it did when we only had Pikmin, Wario and Wonderful 101 on the horizon. We'll bring you more info on all of these announcements as we get it.

http://www.ign.com/a...elda-mario-more

Edited by avelanch, 24 January 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#581 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

also, trailers for bayonetta 2 and wonderful 101

#582 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Tried the wii u at eb a few weeks ago with a friend. Was a blast.
Glad I tried it, and based an opinion on my experience rather than read an article about how awful it is.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#583 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,359 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

I hope, for Nintendo's sake, that they can start generating some hype.

Super Smash Brothers alone made both my Gamecube and Wii worth owning. Soooo many hours spent on those games - often 4 players going at it. No better "party game" around.

Somebody bought me the PS3 rip-off, Playstation Allstars. It's OK, but not even in the same stratosphere as SSB.
Posted Image

#584 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Lp

#585 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

watchdogs is confirmed as coming to the Wii U
http://www.nintendol...elease_on_wii_u

also the Wii U will get an exclusive online challenge mode of rayman legends for free download in april from the e-shop to make up for the delay for a multiplatform release.
http://kotaku.com/59...-wii-u-in-april

#586 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

also, the monster hunter tri ultimate demo is out for the wii u. gonna DL that ASAP.
http://www.examiner....-30-cent-f-zero

#587 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

So a few weeks ago, I decided to waste time at Best Buy (on a whim I bought Battle Royal - still haven't watched it). Walked by an empty Wii U display and decided "I'll take avelanch's advice and try it out."

Now, I should say that I never play a setup at a store, I just feel uncomfortable doing it and feel like I'm on display. I literally played it for about 2 minutes, didn't have any fun with it, and promptly left.

As I said, I know that I can't judge my thoughts on the Wii U because I didn't play it long enough (I just felt really weird having salespeople stare at me).

#588 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,359 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

So Wii U isn't going to get another holiday with exclusive sales. They'll at least be up against the more advanced and hyped PS4. And whenever XBox 720 comes out, the new Kinect will blow all other motion gaming out of the water.

Yup, looks like the writings on the wall. I may hold off on buying a Playstation or XBox until we find out which one ends up buying out Nintendo.
Posted Image

#589 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

lol, nintendo is one of the most financially stable companies on the earth, you'll be waiting decades before they get "bought out".

Sony, on the other hand, is on the verge of bankruptcy, and has been for a LONG time now.

#590 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

For Nintendo's sake, they better have something good in store for Nintendo users, before the release of the PS4, and Xbos720.

The Wii U's sales are already lacking, and if Nintendo is unable to release any good first party games before the PS4, and 720, I smell doom for Nintendo's Wii U.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#591 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,359 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

lol, nintendo is one of the most financially stable companies on the earth, you'll be waiting decades before they get "bought out".

Sony, on the other hand, is on the verge of bankruptcy, and has been for a LONG time now.

Sony looked to be in trouble for a while, but their stock has risen by 30% in the last few months.

With Nintendo, I'm speculating that they may decide to stop making consoles, and instead provide their (excellent) game developments on another platform. This will open the way to more sales, and more exposure, ensuring that they don't miss out on getting their characters into the consciousness of the next generation.

In fact, if I were Nintendo, I'd strongly consider offering some of my once exclusive back catalogue on other systems ASAP. For instance, release XBox and PS3 versions of Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy 1, and Zelda: Twilight Princess, for $30 a pop.

Nobody is going to buy a Wii anymore, but lots of people with other platforms (myself included) would jump at the chance to get the unique gaming experiences these games offer. (I know I would grab SSBB immediately, and I rarely buy games.) Development would be minimal, so Nintendo should turn an immediate profit. And, best of all, it could get some new people who wrote off Nintendo hooked on their premium games and characters, and seriously considering buying a Wii U to get the latest games of this ilk.

Edited by D-Money, 26 February 2013 - 03:52 PM.

Posted Image

#592 NuckerGuy

NuckerGuy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

By far the dumbest thing I have ever heard ^^^^^

#593 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

beyond the pure facepalm of releasing the exclusive nintendo system games for other systems might sell more nintendo systems (what incentive would the consumer have to buy nintendo platforms?), i'm just curious to see how he determined that porting code developed and optimized for one console would require "minimal" development to make it run on completely different platforms error free and optimized, especially on platforms that the developer is completely unfamiliar with and the other consoles would NEVER let them have a dev kit to...

ignoring the fact that this process would have to be done hundreds of times...

#594 Mr.Mulletandbars

Mr.Mulletandbars

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

For Nintendo's sake, they better have something good in store for Nintendo users, before the release of the PS4, and Xbos720.

The Wii U's sales are already lacking, and if Nintendo is unable to release any good first party games before the PS4, and 720, I smell doom for Nintendo's Wii U.

Everyone is comparing the sales of Wii U to the sales of the Wii. The Wii U is doing just fine and is actually getting more 3rd party support then the original Wii. One major factor is also that the Wii Launched with Zelda and the Wii U did not and Nintendo gave 3rd party developers a chance to sell some games and systems before they release all the big guns. If I look at any system and look at their IP's I choose Nintendo every time.
I suggest looking at the numbers from both the PS3 and Xbox 360's launch and tell me again how terrible the Wii U is doing......Oh right its not at all bad and the economy is crap and there is just more competition. Lets see how Microsoft does when they no longer support used games and how Sony does when they launch at 5 or 6 hundred. If they do launch lower then that at what loss? Can they afford to lose another 3-4 per console?
I am a fan of all games and consoles but sick and tired of all the Nintendo hate.

#595 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 75,135 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

Hello! Superb posting! I am just a regular visitor (more like addict ) of your website but I had a concern. I?m just not necessarily quite sure whether it is the right web site to question, but you have no spam comments. I get comments day by day. Are able to you assist me? Thank you!

?

307mg00.jpg

#596 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Nintendo and EA's relations aren't doing really well. :sadno:
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#597 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

Crysis 3 was actually running on wii u and was ready to be released, but then EA stopped that too.
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#598 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

Lp

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#599 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Monster hunter 3 Ultimate is occupying all my non-baby/non-work/free-TV time, which means i barely get to play :P but damn, is it fun! i like the new additions, and it's as addictive as always. i gotta get some online multiplayer going though.

#600 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

Unreal Engine 4 not designed to work on Wii U [Update]

by JC Fletcher Posted Image on Mar 30th 2013 5:00AM
Posted Image

Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 won't support the Wii U, Epic VP Mark Rein said during GDC. During a theater presentation of the Infiltrator demo, Rein laughed and said "no" when asked if UE4 would run on Wii U.

"Our goal for Unreal Engine 4 console-wise is next-gen consoles," he explained to Kotaku. "That's really what our energies are focused on. If you want to make a Wii U game, we have Unreal Engine 3, and it's powering some of the best games on the Wii U already."

Battlefield series executive producer Patrick Bach told Eurogamer this week that not only is Battlefield 4 not coming to Wii U, the new Frostbite 3 engine on which it runs is also not designed for Wii U. "We right now don't have support for the Wii U in the Frostbite engine," he said. "The reason for that is it takes development time."

Update: Rein spoke with Engadget and clarified his comment from the presentation, noting that it's totally possible to run Unreal Engine 4 games on Wii U. "You heard the stupid gaffe yesterday about the Wii U," he said. "If someone wants to take Unreal Engine 4 and ship a game on Wii U, they can! If they wanna ship an Unreal Engine 4 game on Xbox 360, they could make it happen."

http://www.joystiq.c...-work-on-wii-u/

Edited by (>o.o)>, 30 March 2013 - 10:44 PM.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.