The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCAA football

Gretzky's Mullet

Man, that Marcus Lattimore knee injury was tough to watch.

Apparently it was his 21st birthday on Monday and over 1000 fans showed up to wish him the best.

Steve Spurrier told reporters that Lattimore said "I'll be back". They'll know more after he undergoes surgery.

FWIW, Willis McGahee suffered a similar injury in the '03 Fiesta Bowl and went on to play in the NFL. Hopefully Latimore can do the same.

Holy dream evening for CF fans. Let's see, do I want to watch no.2 Oregon playing USC or no.1 Bama vs LSU? This after seeing an unbelievable 3OT finish from no.3 Notre Dame.

I just can't turn off Oregon, so they're going to win out for my attention. Though a small part of me wants to see them fall back in the rankings so they might end up in the Rose Bowl. Can you imagine Oregon vs Taylor Martinez and Nebraska on New Year's Day in Pasadena? That might be the most exciting bowl game of the decade.

Oregon's my team! I love my ducks!!!!

I was kind of worried this season -- I didn't know if they could replace Darron Thomas and Lamichael James so easily -- but Marcus Mariota and Kenjon Barner stepped up greatly! I actually think Mariota is even more well-suited for running Oregon's offense than Thomas or Bennet.

Oh and De'Anthony Thomas is awesome too!

• Upvote 1

Check that, ignore CF for a week and Oregon drops to 4th, despite not losing? Anyways, they won a thriller last night, who knows how the top of the ledger will be impacted.

Also, I could've predicted the end result of the LSU-Bama game. I was sitting there chastising the TV, telling Les that he wasn't going to make that field goal, and that he shouldn't be running on 3 and long when a first down would seal the game up, and that he shouldn't be playing so conservatively once the Tide got it back. I think my wife has decided I'm totally nuts, but I can understand LSU fans frustration with this guy, always awful late game decisions. I was really wanting to see Alabama lose (am sick of seeing them at the top).

Could the second ever Big-10 championship game include a team from the Leaders division that is .500 or below in conference play? Undefeated Ohio State sits in first in that division but is bowl ineligible due to NCAA sanctions, while disgraced Penn State is currently second (and we all know what happened to them), leaving the presently 3-2 Wisconsin as the current frontrunner, with Indiana 2-3 behind them. Trouble is, both of those teams play each other and Penn State, while the Badgers also have a game against the Buckeyes coming up. Meanwhile, the exciting but certainly flawed Huskers putter along in the Legends division.

If the season were over today (assuming favourites were to win their conference championships), the BCS would look approximately like:

National Championship game: Alabama vs Kansas State

Rose Bowl game: Oregon vs Nebraska

Orange Bowl game: Louisville vs Florida State

Fiesta Bowl game: Oklahoma vs Oregon State

Sugar Bowl game: Georgia vs Notre Dame

It would be the second year in a row that a non-AQ team fails to snag an at-large berth, after at least one had done so every year since the introduction of the BCS championship game. However, such teams pretty much have to go undefeated in non-conference and conference play, which no non-AQ team has done.

Could the second ever Big-10 championship game include a team from the Leaders division that is .500 or below in conference play? Undefeated Ohio State sits in first in that division but is bowl ineligible due to NCAA sanctions, while disgraced Penn State is currently second (and we all know what happened to them), leaving the presently 3-2 Wisconsin as the current frontrunner, with Indiana 2-3 behind them. Trouble is, both of those teams play each other and Penn State, while the Badgers also have a game against the Buckeyes coming up. Meanwhile, the exciting but certainly flawed Huskers putter along in the Legends division.

If the season were over today (assuming favourites were to win their conference championships), the BCS would look approximately like:

National Championship game: Alabama vs Kansas State

Rose Bowl game: Oregon vs Nebraska

Orange Bowl game: Louisville vs Florida State

Fiesta Bowl game: Oklahoma vs Oregon State

Sugar Bowl game: Georgia vs Notre Dame

It would be the second year in a row that a non-AQ team fails to snag an at-large berth, after at least one had done so every year since the introduction of the BCS championship game. However, such teams pretty much have to go undefeated in non-conference and conference play, which no non-AQ team has done.

I actually like the looks of that, GM.

As a Sooners fan, I can see them finally winning a bowl game. (If you can't beat a team called the Beavers, then there's something wrong)

The rest of that docket leaves me clear cut teams to cheer for, or more accurately, cheer against.

I'd be pulling for K-State, the Ducks, Louisville and the Bulldogs...

A little worried for Oregon last night at the start, three key players going down and Cal actually not playing that bad. Good thing Barner and Mariota were able to come back into the game and things got back to normal.

How bout Johnny Football and Texas A&M beating Bama?

A little worried for Oregon last night at the start, three key players going down and Cal actually not playing that bad. Good thing Barner and Mariota were able to come back into the game and things got back to normal.

How bout Johnny Football and Texas A&M beating Bama?

Love it! I guess that means K-State should be #1?

Yep, Alabama's still got a shot but need some people to lose.

Well, I'm with Hunter. I'm firmly on the Ducks' bandwagon the rest of the way.

The problem I see is, I think someone has to beat the K-State for Oregon to take over #1. I won't be Baylor, so with only 2 games remaining on their sked, it's going to fall to the Longhorns to knock off the Wildcats to make it happen.

As a Sooners fan, it's against my religion to cheer for Texas, but I suppose I'll have to hold my nose and muddle through. It's for the greater good, after all....

So...I was wrong about Baylor being able to upset K-State...

...but then the Ducks lose to Stanford, meaning that Notre Dame will be #1. (another team I can't stand)

At least the Sooners managed to squeak out a win over West Virginia, in spite of an absolutely brutal run defense...

So...I was wrong about Baylor being able to upset K-State...

...but then the Ducks lose to Stanford, meaning that Notre Dame will be #1. (another team I can't stand)

At least the Sooners managed to squeak out a win over West Virginia, in spite of an absolutely brutal run defense...

Yeah it does suck Stanford managed to win (seriously what is up with Oregon's kicker?) it is surprising that K-State lost also, which means Oregon still has a chance albeit small. We just gotta hope that Notre Dame is able to drop one and Oregon is able to win the rest; the civil war is going to be tough.

Yeah it does suck Stanford managed to win (seriously what is up with Oregon's kicker?) it is surprising that K-State lost also, which means Oregon still has a chance albeit small. We just gotta hope that Notre Dame is able to drop one and Oregon is able to win the rest; the civil war is going to be tough.

Gonna need help from UCLA too. Stanford holds the tie breaker against the Ducks so UCLA has to win next week in order for the Ducks to play in the Pac-12 championship against the Bruins.

The thing is that if the Ducks don't make the Rose bowl they're most likely going to play K State in the Fiesta Bowl. Funny how things could work out since their home and home earlier in the season was cancelled.

Ducks didn't even deserve to win that game, and it wasn't even about the kicker. Had Stanford been able to hold onto the ball (their turnovers were pretty weak and certainly not a product of particularly good defence) they would've won much earlier. I had wanted to see the Ducks in the Championship over the protestations of a bunch of friends (was watching with mostly Bay Area grads and therefore fans of Stanford, with one couple who are Alabama alums thrown in). However, that performance on Saturday left me wholly unconvinced the Ducks could be a match for any SEC team. I don't think Notre Dame would be either however, and am hoping USC wins just to knock them off their inflated perch, though with Barkley out I don't know how likely that is. Though the alternative is probably another all-SEC final. Ugh. Stanford must be ruing that loss that close loss to the Huskies in September, without which they'd almost certainly be #2 nationally right now.

As an aside, I think the NCAA should implement a rule that to be eligible for a BCS bowl you should have to win a Conference Championship. This would transition nicely to the upcoming playoff format too, and would make those conference championship games so significant. It would also light a fire under stupid Notre Dame's butt, and really I think every other school pretty much hates their little independent "sort of in the Big 10" routine enough to agree with me. To their credit, the Irish have played a pretty tough schedule this year, but I think it's pretty dumb that they could win next weekend and get a free pass to the Championship, whereas Alabama and Georgia have to play each other for the privilege. Pretty sure that if they brought in my rule the Irish would be jumping into a conference pretty quickly in order to be eligible.

Edited by Gretzky's Mullet

I'm a huge Ducks fan and I agree that they didn't deserve to win. Throughout the game you could just tell they didnt have it and were pressing. DAT had a pretty awful game and made a huge mistake on the big Mariota run trying to race his QB to the endzone instead of blocking. Barner and Mariota were no where near their best. Very similar to the Lions in that they couldnt win 1st down which set up long 2nd and 3rd downs which they couldnt convert.

But the unpredictable nature is what makes College football so exciting. Every game matters and it's why it's played on the field and not on paper. SEC needed 2 of the top 3 to lose to get back in the picture and that all happened in 1 week so who knows what will happen next week.

Gonna need help from UCLA too. Stanford holds the tie breaker against the Ducks so UCLA has to win next week in order for the Ducks to play in the Pac-12 championship against the Bruins.

The thing is that if the Ducks don't make the Rose bowl they're most likely going to play K State in the Fiesta Bowl. Funny how things could work out since their home and home earlier in the season was cancelled.

Yeah it's pretty dumb that they have a better overall record but just because Stanford managed to beat them once they're on top of the Pac-12 North even though Oregon's 10-1 and they're 9-2. What's the point of even playing the outside conference games then?

The FBS is really whack in their rankings. Take Alabama jumping back up to number 2 when they lost to a lesser rank team than Stanford was when they beat Oregon, just because they're in the SEC they automatically get the spot and Oregon moves down to number 5.

Forgive my rant I'm just a pretty bitter fan right now. :unsure:

Edited by Hunter56