The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's The Chances Booth, Ballard And Luongo Get Traded (Not All To The Same Team)?

Italia2006

If Ballard could have been traded, MG would have done it by now.  There was no reason not to considering how big of a cap hit he has and how little he was being used.  There is absolutely no market out there for Ballard right now, his stock is as low as it gets.  I'm not saying he can't turn it around next year, but right now we're stuck with him.

Luongo is not worth $5.3 mil considering the way he's played.  No team is going to be falling over themselves trying get a hold of a player that doesn't perform like their cap hit dictates that they should.  No team is actually going to give up a prime asset to acquire a liability.  If I'm wrong, we'll know it when Gillis picks up a top draft pick or a bigtime impact player in return for Lu.  I don't see it happening.  Check out the Leafs boards and the Panthers boards.  Their fans don't want him at all, that should tell you something.

I am a bit concerned that MG is going to try and keep both goalies, which I think is a bit of a mistake.

In this day & age I just don't think you can afford to have 9 million or so tied into 1 position and I think moving Luongo or Schneider for picks, prospects and / or roster player(s) is the smart decision.

Florida electing to go with Markstrum over Luongo doesn't have any bearing on Luongo as a goalie or his status as a star player. Florida is just electing to go with a young guy who has a cheap and team controlled contract for a number of seasons, it would be backwards for them to try and acquire a 33 y/o goalie who if he went back there most likely wouldn't waive his NMC or NTC whatever he has to accomodate a 2nd trade.

Toronto would be stupid to NOT inquire about Luongo, he is an instant and significant upgrade over Reimer + its not like Reimer wouldn't still get 20 - 25 games or more in order to keep Luongo rested for hte playoffs. After having subpar goaltending for the

last 6 or 7 seasons they would / should be jumping at an opportunity to add someone of his calibre. I believe that he is one of, if not, the best options available (Harding is still a ? and potentially injury prone, Vokoun may bolt to KHL or want to sign with a club thats either close to making the playoffs or made it and was eliminated in the 1st round.

Teams that I *think* could be interested in Luongo (again NOT his list, just teams that need goaltending)

CBJ -> Personally I think Steve Mason has run his course, a familiar tandem of Luongo / Sanford gives them a boost again not sure what comes back. (he most likely won't list CBJ as a desired location)

TOR-> Have Francois Allaire & he becomes the undisputed No.1. Picks? Prospects? Phaneuf? not sure what comes back

EDM -> Most likely wouldn't go here but improves the team, they most likely will go with Dubnyk now

NYI -> Sure they have Nabby but Luongo gives them a legit No.1 long term, AM + 1st rounder?

*NJD -> If Brodeur retires they will need a #1, even if he doesn't a season pairing them together as a 1a 1b system would be solid for Brodeur & Luongo (if they make the playoffs he could learn from MB)

TB -> Makes a ton of sense if he goes here, most likely on his list and have assets to get deal done

CHI -> Probably won't go here due to history, solid assets that would be a boost to get (Kane, Sharp, Picks or prospects etc)

MTL -> Probably not unless Price isn't / won't sign with them

Washington may have been somewhat interested but I think the emergance of Holtby this playoff pretty much means its a Neuvirth Holtby combination. The rest of the clubs either have a long term contract in goal already, a young gun prospect (like Rask, Holtby etc) or I am just not sure what exactly the current goalie has for a contract (Fleury, Ward etc) and even then those teams probably won't want to move those goalies anyway.

The market is pretty bare too which I think helps Luongos value

Archived