Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

A Year Ago Today...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#61 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:27 AM

Correction, we wouldn't have been 2-0 up if Lu hadn't been playing for us. Go and watch these games again............I did, a few days ago.
Our defence lost Hamhuis and it proceeded to steadily suck (probably due to accumulative injuries) while our offence/PP shut down.

We had several other key injuries and the Bruins had none. Definitely nothing in comparison to what we had. Not making excuses. But that is a fact that cannot be overlooked.
Posted Image

#62 Ukcanuckzfan

Ukcanuckzfan

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:28 AM

We felt on top of the world back then...Bruins looked down and out and then hell broke out :sadno:
C:\Users\Vickrams account\Pictures\Ibrahim.gifC:\Users\Vickrams account\Pictures\Animation Gif what happened.gif

#63 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

The problem with Luongo was that in the games we lost he didn't give us the slightest chance to win. Those games were over within minutes of Luongo giving up the first goal. Are you trying to say that if Luongo gives up 8 goals in a SCF game that the rest of the team is supposed to score 9?
Luongo picked the worst time to pull his Jeckyll and Hyde routine. He was was brilliant in the three wins and complete and utter crap in the losses. Pitching a shutout every game is not realistic but we needed Luongo to match Tim Thomas's level of play in the four games we lost, if he did then maybe we would have won.
I still believe it would have been better if Luongo crapped out in one of the first two games, maybe then we would've switched to Schneider the rest of the way and possibly gotten a better result. We might still have lost the Stanley Cup but I dont think we would've been embarrassed in the losses.

Yes but at the same time in the games that we won he was basically the only reason we won them, especially those 2 shutouts. And come on dude...game over within minutes of Boston scoring the first goal? So once you go down 1-0 you just give up? I think not. Luongo is far from the biggest reason we lost that series, without him we don't even make it to game 7.

#64 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

Man, it's just our luck. We should have put those guys away, god knows if the roles were reversed and we were down 0-2 we would have been done for.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#65 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

Man, it's just our luck. We should have put those guys away, god knows if the roles were reversed and we were down 0-2 we would have been done for.

we would have lost in 3

#66 GSS Corp.

GSS Corp.

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

I miss the excitement and the Canucks fever in Vancouver last year!
Posted Image

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

#67 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

and then it all came crashing down and lost
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#68 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:27 AM

Yes but at the same time in the games that we won he was basically the only reason we won them, especially those 2 shutouts. And come on dude...game over within minutes of Boston scoring the first goal? So once you go down 1-0 you just give up? I think not. Luongo is far from the biggest reason we lost that series, without him we don't even make it to game 7.

What I meant by the game being over within minutes of Boston scoring the first goal was that once they got one goal they seemed to get several more shortly after that.

#69 canso

canso

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

a year ago today nathan horton went down, and the whole thing turned completely.

i know it's not very rational or scientific, you can't back it up with stats, but in my view the outcomes of sport are so much more about intangibles than anything you can put on paper. i won't say i predicted anything when horton went down, but i distinctly recall feeling everything shift at that moment. the body language of the players and an intense gut feeling told me that, at least for that game, we were f-ed. by the time the game was over i had lost any confidence that we would see a canucks stanley cup. i didn't give up on it but all of a sudden i just didn't see it coming any more.

i don't know how that kind of thing works but it fascinates me. even after torres' hit in the first round, same thing. the series turned but fortunately the boys pulled it together. once i heard the news schneider was in, i had the feeling there would be no upset after all. not that i thought he was the better goalie, but rather that switching it up like that could change the atmosphere and the flow. I still believe it did. despite losing that one i feel the momentum of the hawks was slowed and the nucks came back together.

on paper, in the final they all should have been like games 1 and 2. not necessarily in the sense of vancouver winning, but they should have been close-fought games like that. tense, down to the wire and won by near margins. those two teams were so evenly matched, those blowouts never should have happened, and i feel now as much as i did then and in years before that there is something in the mix in vancouver that makes the team more vulnerable to breakdowns than it should be, more than other teams i think. is it the city, the fans, luongo, a.v.? i have no idea, and doubt it's any one single thing, but i'm certain it's there and i hope it doesn't last.

Edited by canso, 06 June 2012 - 04:20 AM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.