Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Magic: The Gathering Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Did a search of this Forum, found no existing topic. I wanted to start this thread to see how many other Magic players we have here. I've been playing since 1999, off and on...and it's a great way to pass the time. I play often at Friday Night Magic at a comic book store, and I'm currently working on what I hope will be a very competitive Standard Black/Red deck. So, if there are any MTG players on this board, feel free to post in here.
Posted Image

#2 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

I have a couple of friends who are absolutely addicted to this . I've only played one game, and I found it interesting... But way too expensive for me.

One of my friends spent over 10k over the past year.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#3 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

lol 10k on this?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

I can relate...I have a few high school friends who built Legacy decks last year...one of them spent upwards of 400 dollars on a set of four cards...you can imagine how much total was spent on the full deck. I've always played Standard...I'm not made of money. lol
Posted Image

#5 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

400 dollars on 4 cards? Why don't you guys just print the cards out from internet images and use them, save some money and you can have fun at the same time.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

400 dollars on 4 cards? Why don't you guys just print the cards out from internet images and use them, save some money and you can have fun at the same time.

That would be great...except they actually wanted to play in sanctioned tournaments for money, and any counterfeit cards discovered being played disqualifies you from doing so.
Posted Image

#7 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

That would be great...except they actually wanted to play in sanctioned tournaments for money, and any counterfeit cards discovered being played disqualifies you from doing so.

do they make the 10k back in those tournaments?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,317 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

So what is this exactly... Yu Gi Oh?
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#9 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

So what is this exactly... Yu Gi Oh?

It basically started all the card games that we all know and "love".

#10 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

The World Magic Cup now awards $10,000 per player on the first place team...players come from all around the world.
Posted Image

#11 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

This card is worth $5,000 for a single.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Thing about my friend is... He has no interest in play professionally. He's just freaking loaded (makes six figures at the age of 20), and loves the game.

If I had an amazing paying job... I can see myself putting a bunch of money on something that I love playing (League of Legends), without seeing any payback.

I don't see myself putting even a penny on this tho. Just not my cup of tea... But I do see why it's so big.

#13 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

Thing about my friend is... He has no interest in play professionally. He's just freaking loaded (makes six figures at the age of 20), and loves the game.

If I had an amazing paying job... I can see myself putting a bunch of money on something that I love playing (League of Legends), without seeing any payback.

I don't see myself putting even a penny on this tho. Just not my cup of tea... But I do see why it's so big.

To me I don't see it as any worse than someone putting actual money into their Farms on facebook, or into gold in World Of Warcraft...the difference to me is, there is actual social interaction going on, offline, face-to-face against other enthusiasts...and for a lot of people, who aren't that social anyway, it's an outlet that is invaluable.
Posted Image

#14 Foo202

Foo202

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

I've kind of into it, just dont have many friends into it or the time to go to a Friday Night Magic, but I currently running three standard decks, but looking really forward to how the Return to Ravnica set is going to look like

#15 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

Agreed. It will be interesting to see exactly what will be reprinted from the earlier Ravnica block...I'm also crossing my fingers that since it seems so perfect they will bring back Szadek this time around. What kind of decks do you have? Mine is a black/red vampire deck centered around Nocturnus and Liliana of the Dark Realms.
Posted Image

#16 Foo202

Foo202

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

I have three standards decks right now, A W/U Mill deck centering around Stern Mentor and Curse of the Bloody Tome, A W/U Spirit token deck based around Requium Angel and a W/B Human Sacrifice deck based around Ravenous Demons. All my other decks are Kamagawa and original Mirrodin block

#17 lx Birdie xl

lx Birdie xl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

I used to play back in the early 2000s.. lost interest tho.. never got it back.

#18 Kuolema

Kuolema

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

I used to play in the early 90's but lost interest after the store I worked at closed.

#19 TheGreenMachine

TheGreenMachine

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

I don't play anymore but a good friend of mine started up roguegaming.com, good source for tournaments, trading, etc. I stopped playing when I got a girlfriend in grade 12...Sold my cards for about $2,000 which helped me fund purchasing my first car (97 Golf...piece of...).

#20 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:10 AM

Played a little bit of standard at the tail end of mirrodin, through kamigawa and the first part of Ravnica.

I can't really remember which decks I ran, but I do remember running some sort of U/B control/mill, as well as a G/B deck centered around Kokusho and I forget what else. Think I might have had an arc-slogger deck as well, and white weenie/jitte, maybe? Can't remember, lol. I remember even having a crazy U/W/R control using some kind of multi-colored angel (W/R, I think) from Ravnica, with a bunch of draw and annoying counterspells and Wrath of God.

I should probably go look for my cards (somewhere in my parents' basement). Lots of dual lands, Umezawa's Jitte, and other rares that were worth a lot at the time (some, like Jitte are still worth something, I think?).

Won a lot of FNM tournaments at the local card shop near my parents' house when I lived there (years ago, lol) and I guess it kinda got boring.

*edit Yeah, Firemane Angel UWr control/lifegain, haha, I remember now.

Edited by Jai604, 02 August 2012 - 04:14 AM.

RIP LB RR PD

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.