The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Game] Luongo to Vancouver!

I completely agree with you that Phoenix and Florida were expected to do bad after losing their respective no.1 goalies.

However, in Phoenix' case, Mike Smith really stepped up and provided them with very strong goaltending - some even say he played like a Vezina finalist. Without Smith, Phoenix would not have had as much success (of course, you could argue their system makes any goalie look good). This brings me back to my original point which is the importance of goalies vs the importance of a top 6 player.

With an elite goalie, an average team (Phoenix) will do very well in the standings because the goalie is the last line of defense (and the most important one). With a top-6 forward however, it is much easier to replace since you have 5 others, and also 6 bottom-6 forwards who may be able to step up to the task. If a forward makes a mistake, there are 4 other players who can cover up...whereas for goalies, mistakes are usually fatal.

Of course, this is assuming that your team has balanced scoring amongst the players and strong/decent secondary scoring....For example, a team like Vancouver has Henrik, Daniel, Burrows, Kesler and Booth as primary scoring threats. If we lose Kesler for example, we still have the other four and guys like Higgins, Hansen, Kassian, Lapierre to step up. If we trade Luongo, however, and Schneider gets injured the result will be a lot worse than losing a top-6 forward.

Take another example, Tampa Bay has a decent offence that is led by the leagues best goal scorer in Steven Stamkos. Their goaltending? A old goalie who is past his prime...and look how far they got in the playoffs? Oops, they didn't even make it.

I personally think that goaltending is the most important aspect of the team, followed by a strong defense and then offense.

And as for Florida, I didn't follow them too closely this season so I am unsure of the reason behind their strong season...

I would give up Schroeder + 1st for Luongo. Luongo is NOT worth Kesler. That's silly. Why would I give up a reining Selke winner, a captain material player who can pot 30 goals/season easily for a goalie who is declining. Luongo is over valued by most people on these boards.

30 goals a season easily? Please, don't overrate Kesler...he has scored 41 goals once and nothing more than 26 in a season after that. He missed games because of injuries? Well, it's debatable how many goals he would have scored in that missed time. If we all assumed he would be scoring at the same rate, Crosby would be the winner of the Art Ross in the past two seasons even with all that missed time.

Just out of curiosity, what would you value Schneider as if you don't think Luongo has much trade value?

I did an entire post about Schneider value in january 2011

/topic/295008-discussion-the-value-of-schneider-according-to-past-trade/">http://forum.canucks...-to-past-trade/

Here is my prediction back then:

Well, i have to admit i really didn't expect Schneider to sign a 3 years contract while Luongo is still with Vancouver. It took me by surprise, and i think there are some inside we dont know. (Like Luongo will be traded....what an inside!!)

First we should define trade value....the NHL players trade value is not a fixed price market. So each player have 3 value...the asking price their team want for them, the Bidding price other teams are offering for him, and the market price based on the market and past trade for this type of player.

The gap between Schneider asking and bidding value always been too big for any trade to be likely to happen.

If we are talking about Market Value, Halak is a close comparison, at the time of the trade Halak was younger, more experimented than Schneider and a playoff and olympic hero. So i expect Schneider market value to be a mid first round. (Halak worth more IMO).

But take note that If i was a real GM, i would never ever pay that much for an Halak or a Schneider and i would likely have taken my chance with a Anderson, Elliott, Smith or a Theodore as Goalie. (Theodore always been my first choice). I guess some other GM around the league follow my thinking and have been rewarded (Florida and Phoenix).

Some St-Louis fan are hapy with the Halak trade, but tell me, how much giving Lars Eller and paying 3 750 000$ to Halak (.926%) is an upgrade on a cheap 600 000$ Eliott (.940%) ?

Dont you think St-Louis could be more successful if they kept Eller, sign a cheap 1 500 000$ goalie + Elliot (Halak stats was less than average in 2010-2011) and invest the 2 000 000$ saving for an upgrade upfront?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived