The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you honestly believe we improved enough?

Bossy

If Luongo really wants out; enough to ask to be traded, do you think he'd be declaring out loud that he only wants to go to one team? Think about this logically for a second. Don't you think that would hurt his request? I have to think it would but I'd be more than happy to hear reasons as to how that plays into his plan.

Employee,posters respond to any given post in any manner they so choose.

It is a public forum so get with the program.

If you follow the facts of what transpired since game day of game #5 in LA your 'public demands of being traded' theories are irrelevant.

It was clear Gillis made the decision to usurp Luo and Luo responded in kind.

Employee,posters respond to any given post in any manner they so choose.

It is a public forum so get with the program.

If you follow the facts of what transpired since game day of game #5 in LA your 'public demands of being traded' theories are irrelevant.

It was clear Gillis made the decision to usurp Luo and Luo responded in kind.

And exactly how does that benefit the Canucks?

You're going to bring this guy back into that locker room, where he's now said multiple times that it's time to move on, and that he wants to be somewhere else? And how does that make Schneider feel? I'm sure that he wasn't expecting Luongo to be brought back when he signed that contract. Please, please don't tell me that "they're friends". That's stupid. This is business. Schneider would not be happy, and (like any other starting goaltender in this city) he'll be killed by the fans and the media whenever he doesn't shine.

In addition - maybe most importantly - Roberto Luongo would suddenly become the most popular Canuck in town. He'd gain a sort of cult following of people who believe that he, and not Schneider, should be the starter. It'd be Team Luo vs. Team Schneider. It'd be the poll question every single day on the Team1040. It'd be the BIGGEST distraction this team's had since Bure's holdout.

Really, Gillis has no choice. Not trading him to spite him DOES NOT BENEFIT THE CANUCKS.

That's the thing with some people and it's sad. They want to see Gillis fail so badly that they want to see the Canucks fail and will be pissed of if they succeed. There are some people now who trashed Luongo hard but now sing his praises so that they can "stick it" to Gillis. Whenever this is brought up however they always use the excuse that they want to see the team fail now so that it will succeed later; which essentially is a pretty big line of bull.

It's different for many reasons:

-Luongo explicitly LOST the starting job to Schneider after Game 2 versus the Kings

-Luongo asked for a trade after the series, acknowledging the fact that the Canucks are rightfully going to be running with Schneider

-Schneider signs a 3-year extension, at $4M per, to explicitly be our starting goaltender

In 2011-12, Schneider was just coming off of his rookie season in the NHL. I think that most (me, anyway) thought that he'd be traded at some point during the year, or during the off-season, but it never happened. This was Gillis' critical error, and it's bitten him in the ass now.

I don't give a rat's ass about Mike Gillis, have never met the man and couldn't care less if I ever do. I call things like I see things. This was an obvious mistake that had been shaping up for years - Schneider should've been traded shortly after Luongo was signed to the extension that he was. The 3 year festering that occurred was not sustainable, and when you've got 2 of the top 10 goalies in the league on your roster, something's bound to blow up. And it has. In Gillis' face.

Guys like you, EOTM, simply cannot and will not admit to your GM making a mistake, like it somehow makes you less of a fan to do so, which is childish. There are people on this board, I think you're one of them, that still see nothing wrong with the Keith Ballard acquisition, still don't think that Michael Grabner could benefit us, etc. Christian Ehrhoff was an amazing defenceman, then he signed with Buffalo, and the next day he somehow found himself being labeled around here as both "soft" and as a "defensive liability". Jason Garrison is being trumpeted as the greatest signing of the summer. It's just annoying to hear/see such obviously biased thought pervading this board.

Luongo lost his start in the playoffs however was the starter all last season and the exact scenario you laid out was happening all last season just with each player being in the opposite role. We may think similar in that neither of us think it would be a good idea to have both of these guys in a Canucks jersey by training camp but we differ here. I don't see the scenario you laid out as being much different than the scenario that played out last season....some might even say the last two seasons but it was much more fringe at that time.

Archived