The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

Whistler's hosting their annual Turkey Sale right now. Last day is tomorrow! Purchased a pair of brand new Volkl Kendo 2012s today without bindings for 399.

More info here: http://www.tourismva...il&eventid=4926

Yup I was gonna go but change of schedule meant I just went down to West 4th at Comor and bought some new pants.

Thinking of getting some VZ Feenom goggles for the upcoming snowboard season. Can anyone speak to the quality/performance of these goggles personally (I don't trust reviews from commercial sites). I've only ever used Oakley goggles, but I'm ready to try something new. I've looked at all of the options - Electric, Spy, Anon, Oakley, etc...and of all the options I like the VZ for some reason - although the Anon's look like a strong possible option as well.

This summer I bought a pair of VZ polarized sunglasses and was very happy/impressed with their product. Just don't know about the goggles. For me, $150-$200 is a lot to dish out for a product I don't know anything about.

I appreciate it if anyone who has personal experience with this product and can tell me a bit about it.

Thanks.

Edit....forgot to mention I'm looking at either a Red or a Bern helmet as well. Anyone having personal experience using these helmets and can offer their opinion - much appreciated.

The RED Hifi helmet is sick , most of burtons product is really good and this is a helmet i would highly recommend .

I've had Oakley, Electric, Smith and Carerra goggles. My favorite are hands down the Electric EG2's I have. I know someone who has some VZ and they're sick goggles. They're not particular the most known goggles on the market but they live up to their name. They're pricy for a reason.

I can't speak for experience but I can tell you the person I know LOVES them.

Are they fog resistant cause if so I suggest do not ever touch the inside lens, you can touch the outside no problem. Fog resistance is one of the huge things I look for in goggles.

My favorite Brand's: Eletric, Oakley, Anon, VZ, Smith.

Also what lens did you buy? Cause if you ever need lens replacement than VZ has plenty, here's a run down of what each lens colour can be used for.

Yellow Chrome- Low Light/Stormy days or at night.

Astro Chrome- Midrange light can be used in sunny and snowy conditions.

Bronze Chrome- A darker lens best used in sunny conditions

Amber Chrome- Midrange light can be used in sunny and snowy conditions.

Rose- Low Light/Stormy days

Bronze Polar- Sunny days

Fire Chrome- A darker midrange lens. Can be used in sunny and snowy conditions.

Nightstalker Blue- Low Light/Stormy days or at night.

For me some of the best Goggles i have used are electrics , with a clear chrome lense , even in flat light you still get depth perception .

Good news for the weather this week on the local mountains:

Starting Friday we should be getting rain for 8 days in a row thus meaning if we're lucky we'll get our first fluffies on the hills. I feel like we're a bit behind cause of the amazing sunshine we've had, but I want it to start snowing.

At least the interior has gotten a lot of snow, here's Banff from a few days ago.

255433_115612165258712_1141667983_n.jpg

Whistler should be getting their first dump on Saturday night at the base while at the peak there will be constant snow starting Thursday morning.

http://www.snow-fore...ckcomb/6day/mid

Anyone here ever work at a ski or snowboard shop before or open a business before? I'm really going towards opening my own ski shop in the near future. I know early on its tough with getting the big companies on board and paychecks are rather inconsistent early on.

But going to all the different ski shops around it looks like the funnest places to work.

Anyone here ever work at a ski or snowboard shop before or open a business before? I'm really going towards opening my own ski shop in the near future. I know early on its tough with getting the big companies on board and paychecks are rather inconsistent early on.

But going to all the different ski shops around it looks like the funnest places to work.

I worked as a Sales Manager at a 'sports store' that sold Ski and Snowboard equipment.

If you have specific questions - PM me.

My wife bought me some Oakley A-Frames the season before last - and I absolutely LOVE them.

Never have any fogging issues, super light, and super comfortable.

Finally going to buy a 2nd lense for low-light conditions, as the lense it came with (emerald iridium), are decent in low light, but not great.

I was a ski-tech , and ran the ski-hire at, The Freezer, at Mt.Hotham .

If you are starting a shop , it is a must to get some of the popular brands , and some of the quality brands . When you are ready to start organising , find out the Phone numbers of the regional , and national sales managers of the brands you want to stock , give them a call , and start to build a relationship with them .

A couple of local rippers are the best employee's , one girl , one guy , encourage the grommies to hang out in your shop , video playing nonstop ski/snowboard movies .

I would have a "riding" shop if it was me , catering to everyone , but with the focus on the core rider .

I was a ski-tech , and ran the ski-hire at, The Freezer, at Mt.Hotham .

If you are starting a shop , it is a must to get some of the popular brands , and some of the quality brands . When you are ready to start organising , find out the Phone numbers of the regional , and national sales managers of the brands you want to stock , give them a call , and start to build a relationship with them .

A couple of local rippers are the best employee's , one girl , one guy , encourage the grommies to hang out in your shop , video playing nonstop ski/snowboard movies .

I would have a "riding" shop if it was me , catering to everyone , but with the focus on the core rider .

So how did you become a ski-tech did you take a special course or did they teach you everything?

So how did you become a ski-tech did you take a special course or did they teach you everything?

I should've mentioned that I was also a ski/board tech ;)

Personally - I was just trained while working. I believe there are courses that you can take, but nothing better then hands on learning.

I started with the basics - waxing and manual edge sharpening (with the tool)

Once I became 'good enough' at that - we added minor base fixs (with epoxy) and then using the full sharpener/base smoothing , which is a machine that has a sandpaper 'wrap' that you run the board/ski along to smooth the base and sharpen the edge.

By smoothing the base - you create a slicker base for the water to bead off under your board, also allows the base to be more porous.

Then moved onto full base patches and edge repairs. Which I found to be the most entertaining, as you could spend 2-3 hours working on one snowboard/ski. But most of the time --- the issue was large enough, that doing the base patch was just a band-aid.

Now - I don't have to even go into a shop to do anything. I wax my wife and my boards ( I have 3, she has 2), to do any repairs needed. Luckily I know someone who still works in a shop, so if I need to use the smoother, I just drop by right before close, and run it through.

Personally - I was just trained while working. I believe there are courses that you can take, but nothing better then hands on learning.

Once I became 'good enough' at that - we added minor base fixs (with epoxy) and then using the full sharpener/base smoothing , which is a machine that has a sandpaper 'wrap' that you run the board/ski along to smooth the base and sharpen the edge.

By smoothing the base - you create a slicker base for the water to bead off under your board, also allows the base to be more porous.

Then moved onto full base patches and edge repairs. Which I found to be the most entertaining, as you could spend 2-3 hours working on one snowboard/ski. But most of the time --- the issue was large enough, that doing the base patch was just a band-aid.

Now - I don't have to even go into a shop to do anything. I wax my wife and my boards ( I have 3, she has 2), to do any repairs needed. Luckily I know someone who still works in a shop, so if I need to use the smoother, I just drop by right before close, and run it through.

I always hear different opinions, some people say using the machine is better to wax others say its better to just do the manual work.

I'm gonna start waxing my own skis, would you recommend a regular clothing iron or should I get a special one purposely made for waxing skis and boards?

Such as the skigo wax iron

sg_iron850.jpg

I always hear different opinions, some people say using the machine is better to wax others say its better to just do the manual work.

I'm gonna start waxing my own skis, would you recommend a regular clothing iron or should I get a special one purposely made for waxing skis and boards?

Such as the skigo wax iron

sg_iron850.jpg

I never used the waxing machine - as people suggested - it doesn't do a great job.

Our shop had a belt sander, similar to this:

040910-F-2907C-010.jpg

Which gives you the flat base for 'better' waxing with the iron. (as I said - I still use the one in the shop every once in a while)

I *highly* recommend buying the iron you have pictured there.

With a regular iron, you would need to put tin-foil over the steam-holes to ensure that wax doesn't get in there; by doing this, it doesn't give you as even heat, and can the tin-foil can crack/break while doing the wax.

I taught myself , with a little advice from a friend who was a ski-tech .

like squeak said , you take one step at a time .

It is worth learning even if you do not want a job in the industry , being able to maintain your own equipment helps make you a better rider IMO.

Right on squeak .

Gotta love it when the Mrs has a quiver of boards too :)

I never used the waxing machine - as people suggested - it doesn't do a great job.

Our shop had a belt sander, similar to this:

040910-F-2907C-010.jpg

Which gives you the flat base for 'better' waxing with the iron. (as I said - I still use the one in the shop every once in a while)

I *highly* recommend buying the iron you have pictured there.

With a regular iron, you would need to put tin-foil over the steam-holes to ensure that wax doesn't get in there; by doing this, it doesn't give you as even heat, and can the tin-foil can crack/break while doing the wax.

Right on brother, you can wax my ski's any day :)

This is the board she usually rocks:

50.Size.LengthCM_147_Image.jpg

Her's has the white base.

K2 are a sick brand .

I am not as knowledgeable as i used to be about their boards , but they usually have wood cores, a must in my opinion , and you get a lot of riding days out of them .

Awesome, gonna buy some wax and that skigo iron.

Any tips on waxing?

You do not want the iron to be to hot , and never leave it on the base of the board/ski's for too long .

as you iron the wax in , you should be able to see the base soak up the wax .

I would get a wax that works well in below zero temperatures for powder days and midwinter days ,and a above zero for spring/warm days .

Archived