The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

• 1 month later...

Lake Louise opens November 7th - Norquay & Sunshine open on the 14th with Revelstoke open near the end of November.

Looking forward to the season! First outing with a few friends coming down from November 12 - 14 but with the move to Calgary day trips are now a reality to the Banff/Louise hills.

I'm having hard withdrawals, can't wait! 

Looks like there have been a few mountains already pounded by some snow as temperatures are cooling.

Really hope this whole El Nino of doom won't happen. It would be amazing if it were like 97. 

• 3 weeks later...

Still really early but this season has been a huge improvement over last year. Many resorts opening earlier.

This includes Whistler! I'll be heading up on the 21st on the weekend. I have 23 free days to use until the 18th and my 5 edge card days. 

Whistler Mountain to open Nov. 19 

Blackcomb to open Nov. 26

By Braden Dupuis
CLICK TO ENLARGEPHOTO BY PAUL MORRISON/COURTESY OF WHISTLER BLACKCOMB
  • PHOTO BY PAUL MORRISON/COURTESY OF WHISTLER BLACKCOMB
  •  

The speculation is over - Whistler Blackcomb (WB) will open for the season on Thursday, Nov. 19.

Whistler Mountain will open first, with five lifts running — the Whistler Village Gondola, Creekside Gondola, Emerald Express, Big Red Express and Franz's Chair.

Blackcomb Mountain will open a week later on November 26.

Whistler's early opening is due to favourable early season conditions, WB said in a release.

"Since November 1, we have received 98cm (38.5in) of natural snow as measured at our Pig Alley weather station on Whistler Mountain and we have another 45cm (18in) to 75cm (29.5in) in the forecast at higher elevations over the next few days," WB's director of mountain operations Doug MacFarlane said in the release.

"What Mother Nature has brought us so far has been complemented by our snowmaking team, who have converted over 26.5 million gallons of water into snow since the start of November. We are excited conditions have allowed us to get the season started ahead of schedule this year for all those eager skiers and snowboarders out there."

Early season conditions persist, however, and WB urges caution when hitting the slopes next week.

"We would like to take this opportunity to remind guests to ski/ride safely as early season conditions will apply, especially off piste," MacFarlane said.

"Please obey all mountain signage, ski and ride on open runs only and stay within the operational area marked by 'Temporary Boundary' signage."

• 1 month later...

I'm guessing that conditions are pretty average to below average around the province since nobody posted in this thread in a month and a half, or are people too busy ripping it up to post? 

What's it like in the hills people,  I'm working straight through this month so no chance to get out myself unfortunately. 

16 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I'm guessing that conditions are pretty average to below average around the province since nobody posted in this thread in a month and a half, or are people too busy ripping it up to post? 

What's it like in the hills people,  I'm working straight through this month so no chance to get out myself unfortunately. 

I've been up to Cypress a couple times this month, it's unreal.

Went up for a few hours yesterday and was probably the best snow I've hit (on the local mountains) in 2 years.  Has been a great season thus far.

5 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

I've been up to Cypress a couple times this month, it's unreal.

Went up for a few hours yesterday and was probably the best snow I've hit (on the local mountains) in 2 years.  Has been a great season thus far.

That's good to hear we've got some epic conditions finally! 

That's a long commute,  North Shore to Germany ^_^.

Been out to Banff seven times so far - really enjoying being close to Banff - 1 hour & 10 mins from my condo door now!

Louise and Sunshine both had some decent early season snow.

Planned for January is a 3 day trip in Panorama as well as a Revelstoke/Kicking Horse trip.

Went up mt. Washington yesterday with two of my kids, they're on skis just learning still.  I rented a snowboard, shredded some gnar.  Conditions ruled.  Probably gonna have to gear up now.B)

waves are good right now so gonna have to get a few of those too.  But brrrrrr.

<-raddad.

• 8 months later...

Can't say I'm a big supporter of Grouse but looks like the owners have moved on. Wonder who will buy Grouse? Foreign investor, big ski company like vail or local family? 

Problem with the local ski resorts is they are limited to what they can offer on mountain. For example, Cypress Mountain and Seymour are limited by the provincial parks they are located and can't add Housing, accommodation or expand. Obviously, being so close to the city, would you even need on mountain accommodation? However, nowadays ski resorts are all about different avenues of profit and don't know what the new owners could really do right away. 

If you are looking to buy 

One of B.C.'s most popular ski resorts is going on the market.

After four decades of being owned by the same family, Grouse Mountain Resorts has announced it is selling its operations and 485 hectares of property.

"This recent decision will ensure that Grouse Mountain continues to build on its strong heritage and further cultivate the Grouse Mountain brand and opportunities," the company said in a statement. 

The popular mountain, which has 1.3 million visitors annually, has 26 runs and four chairlifts, along with summer attractions that include a disc golf course and open-air gondola

The land owned by Grouse Mountain Resorts does not include "The Grouse Grind," the

popular and punishing hike that leads up to the mountain. 

Grouse Mountain has been wholly owned by the McLaughlin family since 1989. 

Last month, Whistler Blackcomb was bought by Colorado-based Vail Resorts for $1.4 billion. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/grouse-mountain-sale-1.3769661

11 hours ago, Armada said:

Can't say I'm a big supporter of Grouse but looks like the owners have moved on. Wonder who will buy Grouse? Foreign investor, big ski company like vail or local family? 

Problem with the local ski resorts is they are limited to what they can offer on mountain. For example, Cypress Mountain and Seymour are limited by the provincial parks they are located and can't add Housing, accommodation or expand. Obviously, being so close to the city, would you even need on mountain accommodation? However, nowadays ski resorts are all about different avenues of profit and don't know what the new owners could really do right away. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/grouse-mountain-sale-1.3769661

Wanna go halfsies?

Archived