The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

India to be a FIFA World Cup contender in the future?

TIGER SINGH

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just as my family moved from Russia a few generations ago, they came here for a better life. If Russia was so great they would have stayed there. The same goes for India. YOU'RE Canadian. Support THIS country first.

Best quote for this subject I could fine "the moment I got off the plane in India I realized how Canadian I was".

I am by no means trying to slam any culture, my main point is I would like to people who were born here, support this country first.

• 2 weeks later...

Japan, South Korea and Australia need to play better for the AFC to gain more spots in the World Cup. Ironically, North Korea took the fourth spot, and their football program has somehow produced a decent team.

In 10 years, I imagine things won't change too much:

Japan

South Korea

Australia

North Korea

Saudi Arabia

Iraq

India.

I honestly doubt it.

The development programs aren't there, and the interest isn't there. Even with the necessary programs, it would take decades to develop any sort of talent, and in that time the other soccer powers in Asia would have improved too.

Sorry to say, I doubt it'll ever happen.

Read:

Soccernomics

Great read.

3 driving things that lead to success in soccer (or sport in general)

Population, experience (how well connected they are to western European game of the Dutch, Italy, France, Germany, Spain (in leu of the Dutch), and maybe modern English coaches plus games played), and $$$$$$$$

India (and many Asian teams for that matter)

Has population, but lacks experience and money.

However, as the wealth of the middle class continues to grow, all India would need is childern from these wealthy middle class families to take up the game, and hire coaches from Western Europe. Done.

China is already started.

Archived