The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDP campaign fund issue

Sapper

The issue here is $200 K accumulated over several years. It pales in comparison to the $700 K the Liberals got in trouble for in a mail out scam they pulled by using caucus money for a massive partisan mail out. The previous auditor-general wrote a scathing report about it. That caucus included Christy Clark, Mike Dejong and Rich Coleman. Surprise Surprise!!

Maybe a separate thread should be created to remind people of these pot calling the kettle black Liberals

That is not believable based on your posting history. If that was true you would be criticizing Dix since his history is much worse than anything the BC Liberals have produced and you do not do so.

NDP supporter by omission.

You did read the report, correct?

As the AG noted the rules were unclear, needed to be clarified and that the investigation was requested by the Leader of the Official Opposition, Gordon Campbell (as he then was) and Deputy Leader Fred Gingell. It was also noted that the mailings were likely in accordance with past practise by other parties including the NDP.

The AG noted that with emerging computer technologies the difference between "Office Mail" and the “Communication Allowance” that had differing rules had become blurred and it was often unclear which category applied (pp 10-13 of the report).

Mr. Campbell therefore asked my Office to review the mailing (and similar communication initiatives undertaken by all parties) and inform him whether any or part of the costs should be reimbursed.

The Deputy Leader of the Official Opposition, Mr. Fred Gingell, also wrote to me. He referred to my 996 public report entitled “Public Communications: Distinguishing Between Government Program and Partisan Political Communications,” and stated that it may be appropriate to consider if the general principle suggested in that report should apply equally to government and opposition Members. He also stated that it may be appropriate to consider more explicit definitions of appropriate content for unsolicited mailings. I concur with Mr. Gingell’s assertions.

For several years, there have been media reports criticizing the partisanship of a number of MLAmailings apparently paid for with public funds. While we have not reviewed earlier mailings, if they are similar in content to the Liberal Party January 1997 mailing, then they too would contravene the guideline. However, as the focus of this review is on the Liberal mailing, the question is left unanswered as to whether this mailing was more, or less, in conformance with the guideline on Office Mail than other mailings in recent years.

Given the growing importance of this form of public communication for Members, I believe that it would serve the interests of both the Members and the public if there was more detailed guidance in place. For example, consideration needs to be given to providing interpretations for terms used such as “partisan political” and “personally addressed.” In addition, the grouping together of individual and bulk mailings under the same guideline needs to be examined. I suggest that a review of these matters be undertaken soon.

LMAO..... That's hilarious., I'm now a supporter because I don't support. You should take up comedy,

I lived under NDP rule and I lived under Liberal rule and I lived under Socred rule. The last 10 years have been a lot worse than the previous 20 I'll say that without problem. The bad taste the liberals have left in everyones mouth is present tense They have a new scandal weekly now. If they go by the wayside It'll be fine with me. If they don't even get official opposition status that I would find humorous.

Oh no They are definitely scandal plagued. it's one thing after the other after the next with the Liberals. First under gordon Campbell and now under Christy Clark. The NDP were like angels compared to these guys. Even the Socreds looked like choir boys. The liberals on the other hand are like a parasite when they are in power. They kill the province from the inside out all the while filling their wallets and killing off the host which is us the people of the province.

Archived