The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official NHL 14 Thread

Please Call 911

They should make it so if you have a low deke if you try and make a fancy smancy move you'll just fail.

They said something like that in the trailer. If you're playing with a less skilled player it might not work / you'll be open to a big hit

All this talk about big hits is another thing that has me worried. I really don't want it to end up being like NHL 3v3 Arcade :picard:

I don't like how the deking has been made so much easier. Now anyone can pull of the dekes with ease. Right now they're harder to do and it actually takes a little practice to pull them off, which is a very good thing.

They say that only skilled players can pull them off too. Well how is that hard then? Just make sure you have a higher overall guy and you're good to go...

Guest Gumballthechewy

They said something like that in the trailer. If you're playing with a less skilled player it might not work / you'll be open to a big hit

All this talk about big hits is another thing that has me worried. I really don't want it to end up being like NHL 4v4 Arcade :picard:

Yeah, I just want a realistic hockey simulator, is that too much to ask?

Can't they just release an arcade hockey game if that's what twelve year olds want?

Or better yet, to save money just implement an arcade mode, were every player is a Gretzky/Bull-On-Steroids hybrid and can score at will and destroy anything that moves and can dangle and skate around anything while skating at 100mph.

Yeah, I just want a realistic hockey simulator, is that too much to ask?

Can't they just release an arcade hockey game if that's what twelve year olds want?

Or better yet, to save money just implement an arcade mode, were every player is a Gretzky/Bull-On-Steroids hybrid and can score at will and destroy anything that moves and can dangle and skate around anything while skating at 100mph.

Yeah exactly. They should just buy out the rights to NHL Hitz and make another of those. They were pretty fun also, at least when I was younger.

They should just implement Hitz Mode into it and have it all separate. They even have 3on3 Arcade but that's a little dated now.

I assume a lot of the fan base is full of 12 years olds, because every game mode has cheesers. EASHL is annoying with the guys who have 4000+ points and they do the same thing every single time.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Yeah exactly. They should just buy out the rights to NHL Hitz and make another of those. They were pretty fun also, at least when I was younger.

They should just implement Hitz Mode into it and have it all separate. They even have 3on3 Arcade but that's a little dated now.

I assume a lot of the fan base is full of 12 years olds, because every game mode has cheesers. EASHL is annoying with the guys who have 4000+ points and they do the same thing every single time.

Yeah! That would be the best thing to do in my opinion.

I actually might buy this game now that I think about it. Who knows if petrpuck will be able to put out rosters (the ones that are god-tier accurate compared to EA) that can be uploaded into next gen consoles like it can be done with the current gen. That and I'd rather wait for NHL 16 where the dev team will have already had their first crack at next gen so a good product shouldn't be too much of a challenge the second time around.

Anyone here enjoyed the "Big Heads" back in NHL 05? I wish they kept it around, even if ey got rid of the huge heads and used normal players.

I still play it with my buddies sometimes. I love going back and playing '05 and '06 occasionally.

Those dekes look pretty sick, I'm sure if your good enough at defending it won't be too big of a problem. I'm stoked for BAP mode with these dekes haha.

only if they make BAP as like NBA 2k 13s career mode because in nhl 13 BAP is a absolute FAIL!

I kinda miss the 2k NHL games.

NHL 2k5 was amazing. I played that all the time.

Honestly. If a game of that level came out now. It very well might be better than the EA series

Guest Gumballthechewy

I kinda miss the 2k NHL games.

NHL 2k5 was amazing. I played that all the time.

Honestly. If a game of that level came out now. It very well might be better than the EA series

If 2K still made a hockey game EA's games would be better. Not saying they'd be better than 2K's but EA would have to actually compete.

"Competition breeds excellence"

It's really too bad 2K dropped the NHL series rather than getting better to keep competing with EA

NHL 14 Gameplay Developer Diary

The EA SPORTS NHL Team is proud to present the first look at One Touch Dekes and the core improvements being made to True Performance Skating. Check out the NHL 14 One Touch Dekes Gameplay Trailer, featuring behind-the-scenes footage of the EA SPORTS technology used in development:

One Touch Dekes

NHL14-CHI-MIN-kane-deke_WM_resize.jpg

Experience what it feels like to be a superstar through a new, more responsive deking system controlled with only the left stick and one-button. From beginner to advanced gamer, this system allows for quicker reactive dekes and intuitive combination dekes, allowing for more moves than ever before. Be careful who you’re controlling with the one touch dekes though, not everyone has hands like Datsyuk. Getting too fancy with the wrong player is the quick and easy way to lose the puck.

NHL14-EDM-CGY-eberle-toedrag_WM_resize.jpg

True Performance Skating

This year, we’ve improved upon the breakthrough innovation that introduced physics-based skating and over 1,000 new skating animations to the EA SPORTS NHL franchise. In its second year, True Performance Skating features greater player responsiveness and unprecedented control through improved balance between speed and momentum, quicker pivots and enhanced lateral skating.

NHL14-OTT-PIT-karlsson-strafe_WM_resize.jpg

Defensive Strafing

NHL14
is all about gameplay balance, so we’ve improved True Performance Skating by adding lateral strafing, giving players the tools they need to play strong defense. Defensive strafing gives you the ability to move your player laterally across the ice while still facing up towards the puck carrier. This improves player body positioning; defenders in
NHL 14
will have a better opportunity to make a play by forcing the attacking player wide and then using a poke check, a stick lift or a well-timed hit to separate them from the puck.

Quicker Pivots

A big part of hockey is using quick changes in speed and direction to outmaneuver an opponent. Being able to defend those movements is key, and to that end we’ve improved the speed of pivots in
NHL 14
to ensure that a player feels more responsive as they skate. Players will no longer appear flat-footed when they attempt to stay aligned with a streaking forward.

NHL14-DET-ANA-datsyuk-deke_WM_resize.jpg

Improved High Speed Turning

True Performance Skating introduced physics-based skating to the EA SPORTS NHL Franchise and this year, it has been further tuned to produce improved balance between speed and momentum. The result is that players will be able to make quicker cuts and sharper turns at high speeds, creating greater player responsiveness and control.

Linking 45-degree cuts

Introduced in
NHL 13
with the addition of True Performance Skating
45-degree cuts allow you to quickly change direction and evade the checks of defenders. Now in
NHL 14
, you’re able to combine 45-degree cuts smoothly in succession to evade defenders. There’s no longer a delay between each move.

Archived