The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.

I was actually one of the supervisors for a event company that YVR contracted to help deal with the events going on at the airport and to help deal with crowds. I was suppose to take a place for one of the 40 workers we hired, she went for her lunch break....but after more than a hour, I realized something was very wrong...she never came back. Apparently, she threw a tantrum earlier about hating to stand there for her job. So she quit and left without telling anyone. I ended up having to take her place for hours as we were short on people.

It certainly was a gong show at YVR between 2-3 pm. We had a lineup about 2-kms long, the line made several winds outside of the domestic building. We estimated about 3,000 people were waiting to get on.

At that time, I also heard there were 5,000 people waiting to get on Waterfront.

It was a huge mess, both how the opening was carried out and how the Canada Line was built.

At 6 pm, for some reason they decided to lower the frequency of the trains. There was a train at YVR every 15-minutes despite 1,000 people still waiting in line! It was bull.

I knew today would be a disaster, but this is beyond my imagination.

ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.

I was actually one of the supervisors for a event company that YVR contracted to help deal with the events going on at the airport and to help deal with crowds. I was suppose to take a place for one of the 40 workers we hired, she went for her lunch break....but after more than a hour, I realized something was very wrong...she never came back. Apparently, she threw a tantrum earlier about hating to stand there for her job. So she quit and left without telling anyone. I ended up having to take her place for hours as we were short on people.

It certainly was a gong show at YVR between 2-3 pm. We had a lineup about 2-kms long, the line made several winds outside of the domestic building. We estimated about 3,000 people were waiting to get on.

At that time, I also heard there were 5,000 people waiting to get on Waterfront.

It was a huge mess, both how the opening was carried out and how the Canada Line was built.

At 6 pm, for some reason they decided to lower the frequency of the trains. There was a train at YVR every 15-minutes despite 1,000 people still waiting in line! It was bull.

It'll be a step down from SkyTrain but a step up from the articulated trolleys...in other words, an articulated trolley on steroids.

LRT works well in corridors that don't have the demand for high-capacity rapid transit rail systems, like SkyTrain or subways, but are rather more suitable for more lower-capacity rapid transit rail systems like LRT. And it certainly is a good alternative (as they are cheaper to build) for corridors like 41st Avenue, Hastings, Victoria Drive, Arbutus corridor, etc.

Often, entire traffic lanes are given to the LRT/streetcar for its own right of way....and the trains are given traffic signal priority at intersections to lower the travel time.

In Calgary, they are notorious for car crash accidents....but of course, it happens on every LRT system:

">

LOL! I don`t even know what to say about those line ups. Can someone please explain to me why you would wait 2-3 hours to get on a train?

And after the Golden Ears mess you expected this to be any different? Translink can not do anything right.

ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.

lol Finding people to work should be so easy right now. So many people dont have jobs. lol I dont too but Ill have to quit for school in a few weeks if I did. I wouldve volunteered to be honest, I need hours for school.

LOL! I don`t even know what to say about those line ups. Can someone please explain to me why you would wait 2-3 hours to get on a train?

And after the Golden Ears mess you expected this to be any different? Translink can not do anything right.

What was Translink supposed to do, tell people to stay away on opening day? I still think it's a good sign that people here are so excited for a new transit line.

What was Translink supposed to do, tell people to stay away on opening day? I still think it's a good sign that people here are so excited for a new transit line.

Ya it is a good sign but having your 1st time on the Canada line be waiting hours then being crammed into a train with weak AC isnt a good start. I was pretty lucky, didnt need to wait too long.

Ya it is a good sign but having your 1st time on the Canada line be waiting hours then being crammed into a train with weak AC isnt a good start. I was pretty lucky, didnt need to wait too long.

The trains actually weren't as crowded as I expected. Like when I was riding the Expo to get to Waterfront it was more crowded than the Canada Line.

ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.

I guess I was lucky then. When I lined up at YVR the line was just starting to turn back on it's self for the first time. And yes, at Waterfront, at 1:00 there must have been at least 6,000 people in line. 5,000 is probably a conservative guess.

crowds.jpg

^^^ This was probably taken at around 12:45 from what I saw down there.

This was the course of the line:

clinecrowd.jpg

P.S. I was in the first 100 people in this line. Mwa-ha-ha-ha!

Edited by BradMayFan

They just want to know where their 2 billion dollars went. Most expensive and boring roller coaster EVER.

I'm going to try riding the bike lane on the bridge on the weekend.

If people were expecting otherwise they were crazy...

As for me, I didn't wait at all. I went to the Olympic Village station and it was completely empty. And when I got on a train, it was full but not uncomfortably so, I think they did a good job with how many people they let on a train at once. Really, unless you wanted to board at Waterfront or YVR in mid-afternoon, the experience probably wasn't soo bad.

ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.

They should have made those Canada Line stations 80 meters long and the trains 4-car sets.