The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Question about Mark II trains. Since most Mark II trains are four-car nowadays, can they be modified so that all four-cars are interconnected? I like to be able to walk from the first car to the fourth car without getting off and on again.

Nope, unless Translink buys a set of centre cars and splice them into the trains. Beijing's Airport Express uses the Mark II trains in 4 car configuration with 2 end cars and 2 centre cars all articulated.

Question about Mark II trains. Since most Mark II trains are four-car nowadays, can they be modified so that all four-cars are interconnected? I like to be able to walk from the first car to the fourth car without getting off and on again.

Yes, it is possible but unlikely for Translink.

Kuala Lumpur also uses Bombardier's ALRT technology, and it recently bought 4-car interconnected trains. Same goes with Beijing's recently built Airport Express, it utilizes 4-car interconnected trains.

With our SkyTrain, I believe it would require modifying the onboard computer systems on the train and perhaps even some of the propulsion systems in order to handle the "C-cars" that will interconnect the cars of the train. So this would be unlikely, given the complexity and expense of having to modify the existing cars. Also, the Operations & Maintenance Centre would also have to be modified to accommodate such a long train in the maintenance buildings.

What Translink has planned for the future is to buy 3-car Mark II trains and attach them to one of the existing 2-car Mark II trains to create a 5-car Mark II train. It would still fit the entire platform length. This would also enable Translink to easily detach some of the trains, especially for evening service when such long trains aren't needed. A 3-car and 2-car configuration into one 5-car train would also fit into the maintenance buildings when detached separetly.

I'm hoping that we dump the old Mark I's and replace them with new Mark II's...the Mark I's are in need of a mid-life refurbishment by the middle of the decade.

Beijing

430px-Beijing_Subway_Airport_Express_01.jpg

Kuala Lumpur

4434405890_05395276b0.jpg

Edited by nitronuts

I'm hoping that we dump the old Mark I's and replace them with new Mark II's...the Mark I's are in need of a mid-life refurbishment by the middle of the decade.

I hope they get rid of the Mark I's within the next 5 years. The interior looks so small and uncomfortable compared to Mark IIs.

I hope they get rid of the Mark I's within the next 5 years. The interior looks so small and uncomfortable compared to Mark IIs.

The thing is, a complete replacement is quite expensive. The Mark I's will probably cost a million each to give a mid-life refurbishment whereas each brand new Mark II car costs about $4-million.

The thing is, a complete replacement is quite expensive. The Mark I's will probably cost a million each to give a mid-life refurbishment whereas each brand new Mark II car costs about $4-million.

How about they just change the smelly seats in the Mark Is and clean it up.

How about they just change the smelly seats in the Mark Is and clean it up.

loll, it's not just about the interior that would get a retrofit but most importantly the things that actually make the train move. Computer systems, wiring, brakes, etc.

I think the outboard platform is a bad idea. The current system is fine so why waste taxpayer money on construction? Also, I would be saddened if they demolished the Safeway near Broadway and Commercial.

Have you ever tried to get on a train at Broadway? This is a great idea.

Almost as great as building a train interchange so that for example expo trains could go to UBC, or millenium line trains could go downtown.

Saddened if they demolished a Safeway? A real architectural gem that thing is!

The large surface lot is perfect for the juntion of two major transit lines......blink.gif

Any excuse to blow up the safeway and replace that whole freaking block with something else sound good to me. Feel free to insist on a replacement shopping centre and put in as many underground parking spot (or whatever) as needed.

That spot should have something that looks like the developements near the Marine drive RAV!

The large surface lot is perfect for the juntion of two major transit lines......blink.gif

Any excuse to blow up the safeway and replace that whole freaking block with something else sound good to me. Feel free to insist on a replacement shopping centre and put in as many underground parking spot (or whatever) as needed.

That spot should have something that looks like the developements near the Marine drive RAV!

Yes, that was sarcasm. Tear that thing down asap. You can put it on the ground floor of some 10 story building or something.

Yes, that was sarcasm. Tear that thing down asap. You can put it on the ground floor of some 10 story building or something.

I was thinking more along the lines of ten 50 story buildings but whatever. The new developement could intergrate the station right into it like some other stations are. The existing build plus lot is a LARGE area in a prime spot to redevelope and should be an OBVIOUS target for densitification.

And ya, I knew you were being sarcastic.

Quick question:

If I use one of those concession FareSaver tickets, firstly on a bus in Richmond, then take the Canada Line down to Waterfront, and take another bus in Vancouver, would the same ticket "work"? All this is within the 90 minute transfer period, btw.

In other words, would I have to buy another ticket on the Vancouver bus?

On Wiki, it says that "Concession FareSaver tickets are valid in all three zones.", but as everyone knows, not everything on Wiki can be trusted. Not that CDC is an extremely trustworthy place, but just wanted to know.

Quick question:

If I use one of those concession FareSaver tickets, firstly on a bus in Richmond, then take the Canada Line down to Waterfront, and take another bus in Vancouver, would the same ticket "work"? All this is within the 90 minute transfer period, btw.

In other words, would I have to buy another ticket on the Vancouver bus?

On Wiki, it says that "Concession FareSaver tickets are valid in all three zones.", but as everyone knows, not everything on Wiki can be trusted. Not that CDC is an extremely trustworthy place, but just wanted to know.

No, you don't need to buy another ticket. You can ride as much transit as you want within those 90-minutes.

And yes, concession fare tickets give you access to all three zones.

No, you don't need to buy another ticket. You can ride as much transit as you want within those 90-minutes.

And yes, concession fare tickets give you access to all three zones.

Oh, ok. And this is because I am using the FareSaver tickets, not the regular transfers, correct?

I assume the zones will not be needed to be taken into account, although Vancouver and Richmond are two different zones.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the news on transit for the Brodway Corridor? Have they gone through all the consultations yet or are they going to spend another 1-10 years figuring out what to do?

I believe they are going to release their report on their route and technology recommendations at the end of the year. It will most likely be SkyTrain, especially with the Evergreen Line being SkyTrain...anything but SkyTrain, and I will forever lose faith in Translink.

Do you think Translink will ever address the issue of fare evaders on buses? I see people either sneaking onboard through the back or ask the bus driver for a free ride up front. There must have been 10 people who got a free ride onboard the number 7 bus from downtown to nanaimo and hastings.

Do you think Translink will ever address the issue of fare evaders on buses? I see people either sneaking onboard through the back or ask the bus driver for a free ride up front. There must have been 10 people who got a free ride onboard the number 7 bus from downtown to nanaimo and hastings.

It's up to the driver really, they are the only ones that can stop fare evaders. But of course, there are few drivers that are willing to stop evaders as it has led to assault in the past so the drivers just let it go.

INFORMATION BULLETIN

2010TRAN0039-000801

July 5, 2010

Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure

EVERGREEN LINE COMPETITIVE PROCESS OPENS

VICTORIA – The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure has issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) to identify private partners capable of designing, building, and financing the new Evergreen Line rapid transit project.

The RFQ closes Sept. 7, 2010. The ministry will select up to three respondent teams to participate in the next phase of the competitive selection process, the Request for Proposal stage.

The Evergreen Line is a new rapid transit line that will connect Coquitlam to Vancouver via Port Moody and Burnaby. It will be a fast, frequent and convenient SkyTrain service, connecting Coquitlam City Centre through Port Moody to Lougheed Town Centre in approximately 13 minutes. It will connect without transfer to the current SkyTrain network at Lougheed Station, and will integrate with regional bus and West Coast Express networks.

Construction is scheduled to begin in early 2011 with completion anticipated by the end of 2014. The project will create about 8,000 jobs.

The Evergreen Line is an essential element of the Provincial Transit Plan and the federal Building Canada Plan. The Evergreen Line will provide a new and competitive transportation choice, serving Metro Vancouver’s northeast sector with the capacity needed to meet future growth demands.

Here's the RFQ:

http://www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/open.dll/downloadFile?sessionID=22996488&charID=17390785&disID=17390553&blobID=3096171&filetype=Blob

The deadline to complete construction and to begin operations is December 31, 2014. But really, they mean August or September 2014 as it will be "ahead of schedule".

Edited by nitronuts