The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

hey, i dunno if this is thread worthy or not, and this is a question about transit so ill shoot. i live in nanaimo and im going to the game tomorrow. any chance of me being able to catch a ferry back to nanaimo that same day? or should i just sit at the terminal :(

Unless you leave half way through the first period there is no chance you would be back to catch the ferry. And your going to sit at the terminal for 7 hours in the middle of the night? Although you might be able to catch a 1045pm ferry from tsawassen but you would probably have to pay a taxi over hundred bucks

Edited by tom_1

A quarter of a billion dollars for every station. Lets hope its worth it.

:rolleyes: Talk about not knowing what you're talking about.

There will be 6 stations, each at a cost of about $50-70-million. Hardly $250-million each, nor is that how you would calculate it.

And given that it's 11-kms, it would make sense to have not as many stations as it would affect competitive travel times which would in effect affect ridership attraction.

When is the expo line being expanded?

It depends on which line gets priority: UBC or Surrey. Likely, UBC. Officially, both the UBC and Expo extensions will be done by 2020 at the latest.

But I see the UBC extension construction starting in 2012 and completion in 2016......while the Surrey 6-km extension east to Guildford, south on 152nd Street, and south-east on the Fraser Highway to 168th Street would see construction begin in 2016/2017 with completion in 2020. That is, assuming the Gordon Campbell government stays around for awhile and in all likelihood it will be around for at least one more term.

Tentatively, other future extensions (officially by 2030) include continuing along the Fraser Highway to Langley Centre in Langley, as well as a separate branch from Surrey Central south along King George Highway as far as 64th Avenue. But then again, much can change from now till then and it is likely that such an expansion would happen earlier and could take place as LRT rather than SkyTrain.

It depends on which line gets priority: UBC or Surrey. Likely, UBC. Officially, both the UBC and Expo extensions will be done by 2020 at the latest.

But I see the UBC extension construction starting in 2012 and completion in 2016......while the Surrey 6-km extension east to Guildford, south on 152nd Street, and south-east on the Fraser Highway to 168th Street would see construction begin in 2016/2017 with completion in 2020. That is, assuming the Gordon Campbell government stays around for awhile and in all likelihood it will be around for at least one more term.

Tentatively, other future extensions (officially by 2030) include continuing along the Fraser Highway to Langley Centre in Langley, as well as a separate branch from Surrey Central south along King George Highway as far as 64th Avenue. But then again, much can change from now till then and it is likely that such an expansion would happen earlier and could take place as LRT rather than SkyTrain.

I'd really like them to just announce a UBC project, I'm so paranoid that it won't happen.

Unless you leave half way through the first period there is no chance you would be back to catch the ferry. And your going to sit at the terminal for 7 hours in the middle of the night? Although you might be able to catch a 1045pm ferry from tsawassen but you would probably have to pay a taxi over hundred bucks

darn! so theres no way from gm place to tsawassen?

and thx alot for the help!

Why do all the projects seem to have a 4 year timeline, even though some are different distances/underground lengths.

Why do all the projects seem to have a 4 year timeline, even though some are different distances/underground lengths.

It usually takes 3-4 years to build a rapid transit line of such size. With the Millennium Line, construction began in October 1999 and the line opened in September 2002. With the Canada Line, construction began in October 2005 and it will open in early-August 2009....account for the tunneling.

The Evergreen Line, seeing how both the Millennium and Canada Lines began construction in October, should begin construction in October 2010 with a summer/early-fall 2014 opening. Note that there is a 3-km bored tunnel as part of the project.

The Millennium Line extension to UBC should take about 4 years, while the Surrey 6-km extension should be done within 2.5-3 years.

I doubt both the UBC and the Surrey extensions will be built by 2020. They can say it and print it all they want.

If we get the UBC one built, it would a massive achievement and would flood the system with riders.

Expo Line to Main Street (1-km test track built): Construction begins 1980, test track opens 1982

Expo Line to New Westminster (first 15 stations): Construction begins 1982, extension opens Dec. 11, 1985

Expo Line to Scott Road: Construction begins 1986/1987, extension opens 1990

Expo Line to King George: Construction begins 1991, extension opens March 30, 1994

Millennium Line to Commercial: Construction begins October 1999, opens September 2002

Millennium Line: Lake City Way Station opens in 2003

Millennium Line to VCC: Construction begins in 2003, opens 2005

Canada Line: Construction begins October 2005, opens August 1, 2009

Evergreen Line: Construction begins October 2010, opens spring/summer 2014

Millennium Line to UBC: Construction begins October 2012, opens summer 2016?

Expo Line to 168th Street: Construction begins 2017, opens 2020?

Edited by nitronuts

I can see the UBC line being built by 2020 and yes that would be a great achievement as it is such a heavy use corridor. With a new Port Mann bridge being built I can see the government telling Surrey sorry, we out of cash, you gotta settle with a HOV bus lane that connects you to Lougheed Station for now. Plus Translink wants to have a new Pattullo bridge in place by 2020.

I am all for these projects as they are badly needed as we just sat around and did nothing for years but there is only so much money available. We the ones that pay for it.

Edited by Vanuck14

Flensberger ship yard is maintaining that the ships are built 100% to customer spec and have passed quality control.

BC Ferries is trying to hid the fact that they had an oops that will now cost them more money. They were at first trying to tell people not to worry because there is warranty. And that is when Flensberger came out with their statement. Then BC Ferries tried to say it will take awhile for them to understand how to operate them properly and that is why there are efficiency issues. So Flensberger send out a rep to ride along for a few weeks and he said everything is working as designed and how it should be run. And then along came the vibration and cavitation problems.

Clearly the lesson here is to subcontract your design to licensed bonded insured contract designers, so that if they screw up like this, you can sue them.

Officials bullying homeowners and farmers to taking sub-par market deals for their land. Is there even a P3 partnership involved with this? You would think the Port and the trucking companies should handle at least 50% of the costs.

Proof? Link?

Clearly the lesson here is to subcontract your design to licensed bonded insured contract designers, so that if they screw up like this, you can sue them.

You mean the way that BC Ferries did it with the C-Class vessels. BC made boats that are the most reliable in the fleet...actually the Queen of New West is, but not as nice.

The Fast Ferries should have been the lesson but they fell right into the same issues.