The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Guerin's retirement

After 18 NHL seasons, Bill Guerin is calling it a career.

Guerin, who played for eight NHL teams and won Stanley Cups with the New Jersey Devils and Pittsburgh Penguins, announced his retirement as a player through the Penguins website on Monday.

"We were only here a short time but my family and I developed such a deep connection to the city, the team and the fans," Guerin said in a team statement. "It was amazing. From ownership and Ray Shero to the coaching staff and trainers, from my teammates to the arena workers to the people in the stands, they all treated us in such a first-class manner. It was an extremely positive experience. We all agree that retiring as a Pittsburgh Penguin is the perfect thing to do."

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound right winger tallied 429 goals and 856 points over his career.

He played 95 games with the Penguins over the final two seasons of his career and helped lead Pittsburgh to a Stanley Cup in 2009 after being acquired at the March trading deadline.

Guerin also played for the Edmonton Oilers, Boston Bruins, Dallas Stars, St. Louis Blues, San Jose Sharks and New York Islanders in a career that spanned from 1991 through 2010.

Archived