The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Blazers thread [WHL]

pwnstar

Anyone Making it to the Seattle game on Friday? Girlfriend and I are coming down to Sun Peaks for Thanksgiving and I have convinced her to Come into town with me to take in the game friday night.

I'll be loud and proud with my orange jersey!

Definitely planning on heading to both games this weekend - looking forward to seeing Chev back in the lineup

Sweet, lets hope for a raucous crowd. Cameron Hughes is in the building, and he always helps. I love when that place is packed full, looks soo good.

One thing I REALLY notice (among other things) is that the wave looks fantastic when the building is full. A group tried to get one started in that final pre-season game...in a half empty building. Looked terrible. Then on opening night, a group tried again...and it looked fantastic. Don't know why, but the wave is one thing I always really notice.

Can't wait for Cameron Hughes, the guy is electric.

One thing I REALLY notice (among other things) is that the wave looks fantastic when the building is full. A group tried to get one started in that final pre-season game...in a half empty building. Looked terrible. Then on opening night, a group tried again...and it looked fantastic. Don't know why, but the wave is one thing I always really notice.

Can't wait for Cameron Hughes, the guy is electric.

Your totally right when it comes to the wave. In a full building it looks fantastic.

i'm the guy that remains sitting with arms crossed and a sour look on the face when there's a wave

the wave is against my beliefs

Booooo! :P

At least your not one of those sour old men/women who discourage cheering...Are you? ;) Can't stand that...start gettin' loud and proud for the boys and the senior population tends to get upset.

Example: Went to a game with a couple friends last year...of course had a few pops before the game, and as a result we were a relatively loud group. Not obnoxious loud, just cheery loud. Anytime we would get a chant going/heckle the opposing team (sitting behind the bench) this group of seniors would tell us to quiet down or tattle to one of the volunteers...who can't really do anything about it because it's a hockey game.

It's getting better, as I believe we are developing a younger fanbase, but still. I apologize for the micro-rant.

ALSO: I wish we did a ticket deal like Victoria's "Mad Monday" deal where tickets are only $5! You'd think they would want to maximize profit by minimizing ticket sales...because lets face it, you spend $5 on a ticket your probably going to go crazy at the concessions! Anyways, good luck to the boys this weekend!

I apologize for micro-rant #2, as well...

Pat King has a great article on Sportsnet.ca:

madaisky640_640.jpg

The Kamloops Blazers are hoping the shot at their roster will be less direct than the one taken on the ribs by their head coach.

Guy Charron, the Blazers' bench boss, sat out practice on Tuesday when the pain to his ribs and back were enflamed following a sudden movement Monday. A week ago, Charron turned away from a puck in practice that connected but left the coach relatively unscathed shortly thereafter.

"I know exactly who it was and he felt pretty bad about it," said Charron, who didn't divulge the shooter. "The guys were joking around 'how can a shot to an older man not hurt him as much as it appeared to be initially' but the way I feel (on Tuesday), that puck did hurt me a little more than I thought it did."

The pain, he described on Tuesday "felt like I almost broke a rib or tore cartilage or whatever it was," should be temporary. The shot taken at his roster, Charron is hoping, won't connect as cleanly.

The Blazers, off to a 3-0-0-1 start, are a trending pick as Western Hockey League contenders this season. But their quick start notwithstanding, the Blazers are a team whose roster composition is still in limbo and as a result, they have yet to name a captain in the young season.

The team is carrying a potential of four overages with the present, Dylan Willick and Jordan DePape, and the departed, Austin Madaisky and Brendan Ranford. Madaisky and Ranford are attending American Hockey League camps this week while the Blazers enter the second half of junior hockey's first month.

Madaisky, a fifth-round pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets, is a signed NHL prospect while Ranford, formerly a Philadelphia Flyers pick, went unsigned and is attending Hamilton's camp as a free agent invite.

The NHL's lockout may actually help matters where the Blazers are concerned. Madaisky is one of nine defencemen the Blue Jackets assigned to their AHL affiliate on Sept. 14, and Charron believes Madaisky's future could hang in the balance of a numbers game.

"The lockout probably will put more players in a position to play for Springfield than there would if there wouldn't be a lockout -- some of them would probably be in the NHL," he said. "It's hard to say. Potentially, if the lockout continues, there may be a better opportunity for him to be reassigned."

Those chances are so slim that the Blazers are no longer listing Madaisky on their roster on the WHL's web site. The Blue Jackets, Charron indicates, have expressed that Madaisky would likely stay in the event he's a top-five defender, while a depth position as a No. 6 or 7 may mean his development would be better served in Kamloops.

The Blazers aren't holding their breath, so to speak, on Madaisky's potential return to junior. Charron is, however, confident he will see No. 19 back in the lineup at some point.

After being drafted ahead of Mr. Irrelevant, the second-last pick in the 2010 NHL draft by the Flyers, Ranford became a free agent when the Flyers opted not to sign him. He was extended an invitation to the Montreal Canadiens' affiliate team camp in Hamilton, though there's little guarantee it will result in a contract given the NHL's current situation.

"It's a great opportunity for him," says Charron after noting Ranford's invitation may only be to serve as a body to fill out a camp. "Obviously we miss him, but any time a player has an opportunity to expose himself to pro hockey, we certainly don't discourage that. But I would question Montreal's intention to bring him just to complete a roster type thing or a camp number. Hopefully it's going to work out for him one way or another."

Ranford's return wouldn't surprise Charron; Madaisky's would. The team named three alternate captains on Sept. 20, the day the regular season began, with the captaincy on hold until Madaisky's future is determined.

But that's not to say Madaisky is a slam dunk to wear the 'C' if he does return.

"There's really no urgency in our team to name a captain," the head coach said. "We have a pretty good idea of our candidate, so we don't see a necessity to do it right away. But once we've solidified the situation with Austin, I think at that time we'll be able to make a decision."

Though they're playing without Madaisky, whom Charron describes as a "pillar on defence" and Ranford, a player that "could have over 100 points," the Blazers are controlling their own destiny rather than focusing on the unknown.

Expectations are high for the three-time MasterCard Memorial Cup champions and the excitement of living up to the hype is motivating. The Blazers' top trio, featuring Tim Bozon, Colin Smith and JC Lipon, could terrorize WHL goalies this season, though the attention they're seeing from other teams, Charron says, has "been an adjustment for them."

Sophomore goalie Cole Cheveldave, a favourite target of the injury bug, played his first full game since the opening round of last year's playoffs in a 3-0 shutout win over Victoria on Sunday.

"He's a real competitor," Charron says. "He never quits on any plays and consequently sometimes makes unbelievable saves."

Not unlike the one Charron inadvertently made in practise.

"I'm surprised more coaches don't get injured in the course of a practice," he said. "It is what it is and that's part of the job."

And an actual link for the click-happy out there:

http://www.sportsnet...ng_whl_blazers/

And an article from the love him or hate him, Greg Drinnan of the KDN:

Young defencemen pick up slack with Hansen out

While the Kamloops Blazers prepare to play two weekend home games, defenceman Tyler Hansen can only sit in the Interior Savings Centre stands and watch.

Hansen, 19, suffered a concussion during a 3-2 victory over the host Kelowna Rockets on Sept. 22. He hasn't yet shown that he is symptom free, so hasn't been cleared to return to practice and is questionable for weekend home games against the Seattle Thunderbirds and Medicine Hat Tigers.

The Magrath, Alta., native, who is in his fourth season, is the Blazers' No. 1 shutdown guy on the back end. He started the season paired with sophomore Tyler Bell.

Associate head coach Dave Hunchak, who runs the defencemen at the bench, said "the young guys" really played well during a doubleheader in Victoria on the weekend. The Blazers (3-0-1) dropped a 4-3 overtime decision on Friday, then beat the Royals 3-0 on Sunday.

Freshmen Josh Connolly, Ryan Rehill and Jordan Thomson, Hunchak said, "gave us real good minutes."

"The more they play," he said, "the better they get."

At the same time, Hunchak said, the Blazers "have to play defence by committee. And the way we played on Sunday is a telling sign that we can do it when we play that way."

In Sunday's victory, the Blazers gave up only 13 scoring chances as they surrendered only six shots in the second period and three in the third.

A big part of that was that the Kamloops forwards "did a good job getting pucks in deep and keeping them there, so we didn't have to play in our zone," Hunchak said.

Hunchak and assistant coach Ed Patterson ran Tuesday's practice, with head coach Guy Charron nursing some sore ribs.

The Blazers have assigned F Devon Oakes, 17, to the junior B Kamloops Storm of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League.

Oakes had offseason shoulder surgery and has been skating with the Blazers while awaiting medical clearance to return to contact drills. That clearance came this week and the Prince Rupert native could play for the Storm on Friday when it visits the Sicamous Eagles.

The Thunderbirds (2-2-0), who are here Friday night, last played on the weekend when they split with the Cougars in Prince George, losing 4-3 and winning 2-1 in overtime.

Granted, it's early, but Seattle boasts the WHL's best penalty-killing unit, having given up just one power-play goal in 18 opportunities.

The Thunderbirds got some good news on Tuesday when Russian F Alex Delnov, 18, finally got clearance to play. Even though he played in three exhibition games, his paperwork didn't get cleared up until yesterday.

A 6-foot-0, 180-pounder from Moscow, Delnov had 22 points in 47 games with Mytischi Atlanti, an under-22 team, last season. He was selected by the Florida Panthers in the fourth round of the NHL's 2012 draft.

The Thunderbirds selected him with the eighth overall pick in the CHL's 2012 import draft. He did play in three exhibition games, getting a goal and two assists, as he showed that he is capable of being among Seattle's top six forwards.

The Tigers (3-1-0) open a three-game B.C. Division swing tonight in Victoria against the Royals. The trek continues Friday in Vancouver against the Giants and concludes in Kamloops on Saturday.

The Tigers have scored 17 goals this season, with a WHL-leading 10 of those coming from the power play.

Medicine Hat F Hunter Shinkaruk, who turns 18 on Oct. 13, is the WHL's reigning player of the week, having picked up six points, five of them assists, as the Tigers went 2-0-0 last week. He had two assists in a 5-4 victory over the host Red Deer Rebels on Friday and followed that up the next night with a goal and three assists in a 5-1 victory over the visiting Regina Pats.

Shinkaruk, from Calgary, is expected to be a top 10 selection in the NHL's 2013 draft.

Also on the Tigers' roster is F Chad Butcher, a 16-year-old freshman from Kamloops. A third-round selection in the 2011 bantam draft, the 5-foot-9, 155-pound Butcher is pointless in three games.

JUST NOTES: This is the start of a four-game homestand for the Blazers as they entertain the Victoria Royals on Oct. 10 and the Spokane Chiefs on Oct 12 before heading into the Central Division for five games in seven nights. . . . The first goal in the Blazers' 3-0 victory in Victoria on Sunday has been changed from D Brady Gaudet to F Cole Ully, who had two goals in Friday's 4-3 OT loss to the host Royals. That gives Ully three goals in four games this season; he had nine in 55 games last season. . . . Kamloops D Austin Madaisky, who is in camp with the AHL's Springfield Falcons, is scheduled to play in an exhibition game tonight in Providence against the Bruins. . . . Former Blazers head coach Troy Mick, the general manager and alternate governor with the Salmon Arm SilverBacks, told the BCHL's board of governers Tuesday that the franchise is for sale.

Booooo! :P

At least your not one of those sour old men/women who discourage cheering...Are you? ;) Can't stand that...start gettin' loud and proud for the boys and the senior population tends to get upset.

I'm old and I'm sour, but I do actually cheer pretty loud. I just plain don't like the wave, that's all

Jon Keen along with others tweeted that Ranford is back in the lineup tommorow! this is great news for the blazers, we really need our two top lines

Saw the tweet from Jon - this is fantastic news! It's shaping up to be an exciting weekend. Seattle looks greatly improved from last season, and I'm excited to see Hunter Shinkaruk.

BIG THIRD PERIOD LEADS TO BLAZERS WIN

The Kamloops Blazers had a big third period scoring five times enroute to a 7-2 home ice victory on Friday night over the Seattle Thunderbirds. Brendan Ranford led the way finishing with a goal and four assists. JC Lipon had a goal and three assists. Dylan Willick and Tim Bozon each finished with three points, as Willick had two goals and an assist and Bozon had a goal and two assists.

The Blazers had a terrific first period and got on the scoreboard first. JC Lipon set up Colin Smith for a power play marker 12:51 into the period to give the Blazers a 1-0 lead. Dylan Willick scored the second goal for the Blazers as a rebound off a shot from Jordan DePape was directed in by Willick's skate to make it 2-0 through the first period. The Blazers outshot the Thunderbirds 15-6 in the period.

The Thunderbirds did not let the lead bother them as they came out hard in the second period. They were rewarded with a goal 7:42 into the period as Connor Honey tallied his first of the year. Defenseman Shea Theodore made a great play to Honey and he ripped a shot to make it 2-1. Honey had another chance with 2:11 to play in the period. A shot snuck through Cole Cheveldave and was sitting in the crease. Defenseman Brady Gaudet jumped on it in desperation to save a goal, but a penalty shot was awarded to the Thunderbirds. Honey was denied by goaltender Cole Cheveldave and the game stayed 2-1 heading into the third period.

Again, the Thunderbirds refused to go away. Connor Honey tied the game up 39 seconds into the third period as he pounced on a rebound off a shot from Jesse Forsberg to make it 2-2. The Blazers turned it up a notch and put the game away. Brendan Ranford, who returned from the Hamilton Bulldogs AHL training camp yesterday, set up Jordan DePape for his first goal of the season to make it 3-2 4:28 into the period. Dylan Willick made it 4-2 on a terrific pass by Ranford at 7:22. JC Lipon tallied his first of the season with a power play marker set up by Tim Bozon and Ranford. Ranford continued his strong period stealing a puck and scoring his second of the season shorthanded to make it 6-2. Tim Bozon added a late goal and the Blazers cruised to a 7-2 victory in front of 4506 fans.

Cole Cheveldave earned the win in goal with 22 saves. The Blazers were 2-for-3 on the power play and the Thunderbirds finished 1-for-4.

Archived