The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

First Accused Rioters to Appear in Court Wednesday 14 December 2011

Wetcoaster

At 2 p.m. today the first of six accused Stanley Cup rioters will appear in court. They are Richmond beauty queen Sophie LaBoissonniere, Oliver Burke, Anthony Larsen, Matthew Lennox, Jeff Post and Robert Snelgrove.

If you want to keep track the Vancouver Province newspaper has an interactive searchable database to track the accused - note that persons under 18 are not identified by name:

VANCOUVER STANLEY CUP RIOT RAP SHEET

Search below for people charged in relation to the June 15, 2011 Stanley Cup riot and find out where they are in the justice system.

SELECT EITHER NAME OR CITY:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/rapsheet.html

As this article points out past cases would seem to favour some will be spending time lodged at the pleasure of Her majesty the Queen in Right of Canada:

Stanley Cup Riot: Precedent points to prison

They are among 27 people charged with rioting and a variety of other offences. Cops expect more people to be charged soon.

In court cases precedent is always important. Meaning if someone has previously received a certain sentence for a crime, then another person who commits the same crime under similar circumstances will get the same sentence.

The 2011 Stanley Cup riot was nothing new to this fine city as exactly the same thing happened in 1994.

So what happened to those charged after the 1994 riot?

According to Neil MacKenzie, spokesman for the B.C. justice system, sentencing records are not comprehensive from the 1994 riot.

However, according to anecdotal records, about 50 adults were charged with rioting and almost all of them got jail sentences of between three months and a year.

One guy got a year in jail, while another got 45 days (he rioted but didn’t loot).

As a result of this precedent, I think we are going to see jail sentences for many of the Stanley Cup rioters.

Young Ryan Dickinson,who was out on parole when he was caught allegedly rioting downtown, has already been remanded in jail and the prosecution wants to televise his case. Kid is going to do some hard time, I think.

I hope he and all the young people charged get good counselling, as this is likely a really dreadful thing they are going through and young men in particular are prone to depression.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/12/14/stanley-cup-riot-precedence-points-to-prison/

And first appearances for seven accused. Applications to televise the proceedings will be on case by case basis

The Crown will push to have cameras in court during Stanley Cup riot proceedings.

As the first seven of 27 people so far charged with rioting appeared in court Wednesday afternoon, Crown spokesman Neil Mackenzie said an application to televise proceedings would be made on a case-by-case basis.

Accused rioter and Coquitlam resident Ryan Dickinson, who is in jail for breach of probation, appeared Wednesday morning.

His case was adjourned until Friday at 9 a.m. and Crown prosecutor Patti Tomasson has applied for those proceedings to be televised.

The long-awaited first courtroom appearances of alleged Stanley Cup rioters began Wednesday in a circus-like atmosphere at Vancouver provincial court.

Oliver Burke, of Vancouver, Sophie Laboissonniere, from Richmond, Anthony Larsen of Surrey, Matthew Lennox of Vancouver, Jeff Post of Maple Ridge and Robert Snelgrove of Vancouver all appeared in the afternoon.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Crown+applies+have+Stanley+riot+cases+televised/5861296/story.html#ixzz1gYYvHVTH

The Vancouver Police Board is calling for stiff sentences for those convicted as result of their actions during the June 2011 Stanley Cup Riot.

Vancouver Police Board members Wednesday called for stiff sentences for rioters to help prevent a repeat of the Stanley Cup riot.

The meeting heard how Vancouver police are adapting their methods in response to the city-trashing riot that erupted after a Vancouver Canucks loss in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

The board also heard that changing public attitudes — and expectations of serious jail time — would go a long way to helping prevent a repeat performance of the violence that erupted that infamous day in June.

“I’m just hoping that the message is sent through the courts and sentencing,” board member Glenn Wong told the meeting.

“I think that’s going to be the biggest driver of a change in behaviour, so people see the consequences of their actions.”

Mayor Gregor Robertson, who chairs the police board, said 2011 was full of difficult situations for police, from the huge Stanley Cup crowds downtown and the riot to the ongoing Occupy political actions.

“We hope for interesting times, but this year has had its share of challenges,” said Robertson, who suggested that in 2012 outdoor events would be spread out, rather than the intense concentration in downtown Vancouver that overwhelmed the police.

Supt. Daryl Wiebe reported back on four reviews of the June 15 riot and said progress is being made in a number of area as police upgrade their riot capabilities, improving training and pre-planning as well as upgrading and co-ordinating communications equipment.

Wiebe reported that many of the improvements were already in place when police managed a peaceful Grey Cup football championship in November.

“This was the first big hurdle in terms of major events,” said Wiebe.”We had a very proactive approach from the liquor branch.

“There were many applications for special liquor licences — a lot of them were denied.”

Wiebe said the ongoing Stanley Cup playoff run — going on for weeks — offers a much greater challenge than a single event such as the Grey Cup: You get a new event every second night.”

The superintendent said police were unable to get proper equipment to the officers manning the front lines, and are working on how to ensure things go better for future confrontations.

“We are looking at multi-purpose vehicles that are small and nimble that can get the equipment to the front lines,” said Wiebe.

Vancouver Police Chief Jim Chu had a three-point explanation for the cause of the riot:

“There were too many people, they arrived too early, and they were too drunk,” said Chu, who said proactive seizure of liquor before fans come downtown will help, as well as ensuring SkyTrain doesn’t keep delivering giant crowds once trouble breaks out.

“We have received an assurance from the transit authority that they will slow down the trains and not keep piling people into the downtown.”

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Police+board+wants+tough+sentencing+Stanley+rioters/5862162/story.html#ixzz1gaHFQxgh

Five more accused rioters made their first appearances on Thursday.

The Crown's announced intention to apply to televise the trials of accused rioters is being met with some criticism.

Prosecutors continued on Thursday to ask for the trials of suspected Stanley Cup rioters to be televised.

Meanwhile, five more names were added to next year's growing court list after the accused made first appearances in Vancouver provincial court Thursday.

Matthew Cottrell, 23, and Connor Epp, 20, were put over to Jan. 12, while Alicia Price, 22, Kelly Johnson, 20, and Sean Burkett, 18, were put over to Jan. 19.

None of the accused made any comments in the courtroom or when they left the courthouse.

And while the Crown continues to notify the court that it will make an application to televise the trials, concern is being raised over the possibility of cameras being put inside provincial courtrooms. The move is unprecedented at the provincial court level.

David Eby, the executive director of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association, said televising the trials of only the riot suspects is troubling.

"We are in favour of cameras in courtrooms, but not in favour of cameras just for particular trials to add extra punishment," said Eby. "Why the Stanley Cup rioters and not other cases? The perception is it is politically expedient to focus on the Stanley Cup rioters."

Eby said he feels there is more of a case to broadcast a trial where someone is a risk to the public like a sex offender than someone up on mischief charges stemming from the riot.

"This is a sensationalized show trial with certain cases picked out for extra attention."

Bentley Doyle, a spokesman for the Trial Lawyers Association of B.C., said having cameras in the courtrooms would be both costly and a distraction.

"There is no consensus with our members on this issue," he said. "The (judicial) system needs money and why are we adding additional expenses?

"This push for the riot cases to be televised is bizarre and foolish."

Samantha Hulme, a provincial criminal justice branch spokeswoman, said the decision on including cameras would be up to the discretion of each judge.

"The judge could take a position to televise some or all, or it may be that the judge broadcasts just the sentencing," she said.

Following the June 15 riot — in which thousands of drunken hockey fans went on a rampage in downtown Vancouver, torching cars and looting businesses — hundreds of incensed people flooded B.C. Premier Christy Clark's email inbox.

In her throne speech in October, Clark demanded prosecutors advocate for television and radio access to the courts during the trials.

When the criminal justice branch, the independent overseer of criminal prosecutions, resisted the request, B.C. Attorney General Shirley Bond announced she would invoke a rarely used power of her office to overrule the branch.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Critics+blast+call+cameras+Stanley+riot+trials/5868397/story.html#ixzz1gh54Di3f

One accused rioter Ryan Dickenson, 20 will be spending his Christmas and New Year's in custody as he was in breach of a court order and curfew while out on bail for an earlier assault causing bodily harm charge when he allegedly participated in the riot. He will next appear in court on 06 Jan 2012.

Five more accused made first appearances in court today.

A Coquitlam man charged for his alleged part in the Stanley Cup riot will spend Christmas in jail.

Ryan Dickinson, 20, appeared in Vancouver Provincial Court Friday and was ordered held in custody pending a Jan. 6 arraignment date.

Dickinson is charged with participating in a riot and two counts of mischief over $5,000. He was held in custody after being picked up more than a week ago for breaching his probation.

The day before he was taken in, Dickinson told The Province he was concerned about the riot charges because he had been out on bail pending a 2010 aggravated assault charge at the time of the June 15 riot.

In October, he was given a year’s probation for a downgraded conviction of assault causing bodily harm, which he said happened “while I was drunk at the time.”

Dickinson, a sheet-metal apprentice working at a window repair company, said he was totally sober the night of the Stanley Cup riot and got “caught up in the moment.

“These charges are a real concern,” he said. “I just started a job I really like.

“I had a curfew at the time and ended up going down,” added Dickinson of his trip into downtown Vancouver. “I didn’t have any liquor, I was just being stupid.”

A number of others charged in the riot made first appearances. Jerry Wernicke, 28, who is charged with participating in a riot and mischief, and Richard Dorosh, 18, who is charged with participating in a riot and break-and-enter had their next court appearances set over to Jan. 26.

Mobeen Mohammed, 33, who faces break-and-enter and participating in a riot charges, will be in court Jan. 12 along with Emmanuel Alviar, 20, who is charged with participating in a riot and two counts of mischief.

In all of Friday’s cases, a Crown prosecutor made notice they will seek to get an application to have the court proceedings televised.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Vancouver+Stanley+rioter+spend+Christmas+jail/5874099/story.html#ixzz1gkUWCck8

52 more charges recommended by the VPD to Crown for charge approval against 20 people announced today. VPD say that 500 and 700 people could eventually face charges.

Vancouver police are recommending 52 new charges against 20 people for allegedly participating in the Stanley Cup riot earlier this year.

Investigators made the announcement at police headquarters in Vancouver on Monday morning.

If the charges are approved by the Crown, it will bring the total number of people charged in connection with the riot to 47.

Vancouver police Insp. Les Yeo said this latest round of charges is not the end.

"We will charge as many people as we can," he said. "I would say that the majority of the charges will be in the early part of 2012."

He said the average age of the new suspects is 19.

Police have now recommended more than 200 charges against more than 80 alleged looters and vandals. More than 110 people have been arrested or have turned themselves in.

New strategies

Last week, eight people accused in the riot made their first appearances court. Several offered apologies and one signalled her intention to plead guilty.

Police expect more charges will be come in the New Year. Investigators say they are also working on strategies to drive the public to their website to help identify more alleged rioters.

Vancouver police have said between 500 and 700 people could eventually face charges.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/12/19/bc-vancouver-riot-charges.html

• 4 weeks later...

The first Stanley Cup rioter has now been convicted - Ryan Dickinson - see post #13 for background. He spent the holidays lodged at her pleasure of her Majesty the Queen pending his January 6, 2012 court appearance where he pleaded guilty. He is to be sentenced in February.

A Coquitlam man is the first to enter a guilty plea for his involvement in the Stanley Cup riot.

In a red jail-issue outfit, Ryan Dickinson, 20, entered guilty pleas at Vancouver Provincial Court Friday on charges of participating in a riot and breach of his recognizance.

Dickinson was held in custody pending a Feb. 7 sentencing date.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/First+accused+Stanley+rioter+pleads+guilty/5958908/story.html#ixzz1jCPb0oku

And do you remember the whining and justifications posted by that whining little self-entitled "female dog" Camille Cacnio? "OMG do not hurt the trees while I loot the store." :blink: Here was her "apology that resulted in her being roundly castigated so she re-wrote it:

/index.php?showtopic=319099&view=findpost&p=10219778">http://forum.canucks.com/index.php?showtopic=319099&view=findpost&p=10219778

/index.php?showtopic=319099&view=findpost&p=10219730">http://forum.canucks.com/index.php?showtopic=319099&view=findpost&p=10219730

And her mother leapt to her defence about how poor little Camille was having mean things said to her after her rambling "apology".

Along with poor little Camille, the guy caught on camera taunting and slapping a firefighter in the face during the Stanley Cup riot has been charged. Crown counsel approved charges of assault and participating in a riot against Dustin Anderson, 21, on Monday.

Two more names have been added to the Stanley Cup riot charge sheet. Police Sgt. Howard Chow said Dustin Anderson, 21, of Burnaby and Camille Cacnio, 21, of Richmond are both charged with participating in a riot.

Anderson is also charged with assault and Cacnio with break-and-enter.

Five days after the riot, Cacnio, a University of B.C. student, issued a public apology after online footage showed her leaving the Black & Lee Formal Wear store at Richards and Granville holding an item of clothing.

Cacnio apologized to Black & Lee, UBC Athletics, the UBC Rowing Team, Enspire Foundation, the UBC Faculty of Science and Burrard Acura. Cacnio later lost her job at Burrard Acura.

Anderson was captured on video allegedly hitting a firefighter and taunting a police officer. He was also filmed pouring milk over his head after being pepper-sprayed.

http://www.theprovince.com/life/fashion-beauty/more+people+charged+with+taking+part+Stanley+riot/5971324/story.html#ixzz1jCTBVGBc

• 11 months later...

Didn't want to start a new thread...

‘Miss Congeniality’ pleads guilty to riot charge

"CTV British Columbia

Published Monday, Jan. 7, 2013 5:30PM PST

Former beauty queen Sophie Laboissonniere pleaded guilty Monday to participating in the Stanley Cup riot that tore through downtown Vancouver in June 2011.

Another charge of break-and-enter is expected to be stayed against the young Richmond resident, who was 20 years old when she allegedly joined a mob of people who rushed into London Drugs and looted the store.

Laboissonniere did not appear in court Monday to enter her plea, but lawyer David Baker assured that she’d be present at a sentencing hearing scheduled for this spring."

More here:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/miss-congeniality-pleads-guilty-to-riot-charge-1.1104732

• 2 weeks later...

Do you recall the whining and justifications posted by that whiny little self-entitled "female dog" Camille Cacnio after being caught on camera looting the store?

tumblr_lmz2rs4iJa1qlzvnbo1_500.jpg

Why don’t I think I deserve all this treatment?

Because for one, I’ve admitted to my mistakes, two, I am ready to deal with the consequences in a judicial manner, and three, because (may I remind you that) I am responsible for theft – a fairly minor action compared to vandalism and arson. Please remember and understand that I am not responsible for the riot.

I did not vandalize any buildings.

I did not set fire on anything.

I did not break any glass.

I did not instigate the riot.

I did not physically harm anybody.

I did not jump on any cop cars.

I did not even plan on being in the riot.

On any regular day I would not condone looting.

However, at the time of the riot everything just seemed so right.

"OMG do not hurt the trees while I loot the store."

Here was her rambling "apology that resulted in her being roundly castigated so she re-wrote it:

http://www.scribd.co...5bfsvebg7r2itll

She was convicted and avoided jail time but is now back before the courts on a charge of breach of probation.

A Stanley Cup rioter with one of the highest profiles — and the lightest sentence — has pleaded not guilty to breaching conditions of that sentence.

UBC student Camille Cacnio, 23, who was caught laughing on camera as she looted two pairs of men’s dress pants from a tuxedo shop, didn’t appear in person in Vancouver provincial court on Monday.

Her lawyer, Jason Tarnow, entered the plea on her behalf and said her defence will be “lawful excuse.”

The reason for the alleged breach wasn’t disclosed.

Crown prosecutor Daniel Porte said he will call one or two witnesses during the one-day trial, set for March 15.

Cacnio in September was given a suspended sentence plus two years’ probation with a 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew for the first year, plus other conditions.

Hers is the only suspended sentence given to the two dozen rioters who have been sentenced so far. They all confessed to rioting during the five hours after the Vancouver Canucks’ loss in the Stanley Cup final on June 15, 2011, causing $4 million in damages.

Judge Joseph Galati said when he delivered his decision there was no need to “teach Ms. Cacnio a severe lesson” with a jail sentence because she “suffered unpleasant consequences” after her video apology was posted online.

Porte had asked for a jail sentence of 15 to 30 days, to be served on weekends, even though her involvement was at the “lowest end” of those charged.

Tarnow had recommended a conditional discharge, which would have spared Cacnio a record, arguing the notoriety she suffered would deter others.

http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz2ICf3y1cn

Perhaps some jail time would provide a salutary lesson.

Archived