The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In Need Of Advice (University Life)

Suvets29

Hey guys would appreciate some input from anyone who perhaps had experience with this issue or opinions. I know it's not the best place for advice but I've struggled with this issue for about 2 years.

Basically I'm in my second year of Criminology at the University of the Fraser Valley. I don't plan on using this undergraduate degree for my career, just simply to enter UBC's Graduate Law School since the program here is a breeze regarding GPA (Currently at 4.0) which increases my likelihood of getting in. However since I didn't choose to do my undergraduate at SFU or UBC I'm stuck in Abbotsford for the time being and living at home. (simply to save alot of money, not a momma's boy :P) Essentially I'd like any advice on whether or not you may feel I'm going to regret not transferring/moving out to SFU or UBC during my undergrad.

Ideally I'd love to move out and live on campus or near it, however these Universities are a bit more challenging to maintain a high GPA in. Everyone says it's all about the dorm life, and I know for a fact during Graduate School I will be moving out and on campus. However I keep wondering if I'll regret missing out on campus life during undergrad. Many of my friends already plan on moving out, however they're simply doing a 4 year degree and don't have to worry about factoring in Graduate School costs.

In my situation would any of you consider living at home still for the time being? Living at homes a bore so I try and stay out, but at the same time I am saving alot of money. I also have a decent paying part time job which I'd have to abandon and thus if I moved out already I'd have to worry about managing my savings a bit more wisely, where on the other hand if I stayed I can afford to blow some to have a good time. Financially me and my family would be able to pay undergraduate fees/dorm if I were to move out, however I'd probably have to get loans when it comes time for Graduate school. Anyone in my shoes feel like it's worth moving out? Thanks for any input

Guest PUNJABI CANUCK

Abbotsford is pretty far from UBC... moving would be a good option (you probably will enjoy dorm life).

I'm lucky enough to live about 30-45 minutes (prime time traffic) from SFU.

- more time to chill, party, study, w/e.

Living so far away kinda sucks as you would be sitting in traffic for 2-4 hours a day.

My first 2 years living in Totem Park at UBC were the best time of my life. That's where I met the majority of my friends. After first/2nd year, you start living in places that are a bit more secluded from making friends as easily. Gage is meh, and Fairview is sorta like living in an apartment. First 2 years are kick ass if you can show up then.

The other consideration you'll want to think about is whether you get along with other people (sounds a little silly, right?). Does noise sometimes bother you?

My first 2 years living in Totem Park at UBC were the best time of my life. That's where I met the majority of my friends. After first/2nd year, you start living in places that are a bit more secluded from making friends as easily. Gage is meh, and Fairview is sorta like living in an apartment. First 2 years are kick ass if you can show up then.

The other consideration you'll want to think about is whether you get along with other people (sounds a little silly, right?). Does noise sometimes bother you?

I was a casualty of undergrad life... I got the boot after first year. Too much fun. Too much social. Too much partying. I had a total blast, but, my academics suffered. I lived 10 minutes from UBC campus at my parent's place in Kerrisdale.

Went back 4 years later and got my BHK and BEd. Lived on my own with my girlfriend / current wife.

My advice? Stay at home, save some bucks for the future and offer your folks some dough, too. Living on / close to campus can be way too tempting. UBC was a blast!

:towel::canucks:

Archived