The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In The Case Where Luongo Stays

Ugli Fruit

I'm going to try to ask this in the most non A-hole way possible. When you come up with one shining example of stats that FINALLY show that Luongo has some type of edge (any statistical edge at all) over Schneider...and then the stats prove to be completely wrong...doesn't that say something?

The fans have a big say on how the management handles situations. The fans are the difference between richness and bankruptcy. In today's world, where the media can literally turn a person into the likeness of Satan, players are under massive scrutiny and fans virtually decide who the media watches and vice versa. The two support each other and Luongo got the shaft. The media first bashed him, the Canuck fans (who are generally demanding) added to the flames, then the media intensified the scrutiny on Luongo and then the cycle repeated to the point where there are so many false generalizations about the guy.

For instance, what's this random accusation about Luongo being egotistical? Sure, he wasn't exactly the humblest guy on the team, but he was never actually cocky. He's extremely competitive and when coupled with frustration, that can sound like arrogance. However, it's not. Another example: People suddenly think Schneider has much better technical skill than Luongo. This may or may not be true. Yes, Schneider LOOKS more technically stable, but that's because he's smaller and younger. Luongo is taller, his legs are bow-legged and has size 15 skates. That's crazy! Frankly I'm surprised that Luongo doesn't play like Hasek.

See what I mean? The media decides what many think and they pretty much implied that Luongo is done here. The fans said 'OK' because they were upset with the playoff struggles and blaming Luongo was an easy way out.

The media is now turning people against Kesler. Really? The same people who LOVED the guy is now calling for a trade because the media was continuously covering Kesler's offensive and behavioral struggles. I kinda rambled on there but I hope I made my point.

Archived