The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Adding a dynamic scorer, improving defense and a tougher bottom six

Knowing what we know now, it looks like Luongo will be the one dealt. Even if we swap goalies in the deal, it's not a bad trade, maybe add another player like Hagman or Sbisa, or a draft pick. Anyways, it's a very good idea, solid, realistic deals that would greatly strengthen every team. I like your idea!

Holy crudmuffins I don't think I've ever seen a proposal hit "Popular" status.

I still believe we'd be better off trading Schneider. I know this isn't basketball, but Schneider, a young and good goaltender on a 3 year deal with a pretty good cap hit, holds a lot more value than an aging goaltender with 10 years and $50M left. We'll get a much better return by trading Schneider than trading Luongo. Imagine what a Schneider trade (or package) can return. A good young player? A top 4 defenseman? A top 6 forward? An all-star calibre player?

Moreover, I firmly believe that Luongo's play has yet to deteriorate. Consider this, last season Luongo had a career best (high or low would have been confusing when talking about goaltending numbers) 2.11 GAA and a very good 0.928 save percentage. Last year his numbers dipped, but so did nearly everyone else's on our team. Because of this, I think both Luongo's and Schneider's level of play will be the same or very similar over the next few years.

Trading Schneider is a plausible and viable decision because we have Eddie Läck. He is arguably the best AHL goaltender. Läck, in his first season playing North American hockey, was named to the AHL All-Rookie team. In his two years of North American play he has averaged a 2.29 GAA and 0.926 SV in the regular season, and a 2.05 GAA and 0.928 in the playoffs. By comparison Schneider, in 3 years of AHL duty, has a 2.28 GAA and 0.921 SV during the regular season, and a 2.39 GAA and 0.921 SV in the playoffs.

According to Wikipedia, "Läck is a big goaltender who uses his size to his advantage looking through traffic to see the puck, and aggressively challenging shooters.[1] Despite his size he has good lateral movement, covers the bottom of the net well,[1] has good balance, and is positionally sound.[4]"

So, it makes sense to trade Schneider, as a) he'll fetch a far greater return, b.) Luongo will be just as good as Schneider for the next few years, and c) when Luongo's play does deteriorate we have Eddie Läck, who by that time will have a few years of NHL experience under his belt and will be ready for a starting job.

Archived