The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could use a little help deciding on a Trade

BurnabyJoe

I'm 22, with pretty average high school grades/courses.

I'm scared of heights (rickety ladders) and don't mind (even prefer in some cases) working evenings.

I've narrowed my search down to 2, and was hoping anybody on the forum could provide insight into these 2 professions.

Feel free to add to my list, especially if it fits my fear of heights / having the option of working nights criteria.

Preferably I'm looking at something that pays at least $25ish per hour, and something that has a good job outlook obviously.

----------------------------------------------------

I've narrowed it down to Gasfitting and Telecommunications Technician. Anybody in these fields? How easy is it to find work? What's the average wage? My understanding is Telcom tech is your typical shaw/telus technician.

And yes I've googled much of this information, but I was hoping to find a little more personal and local insight.

Thank you!

Gasfitting is a meh job. My dad is a plumber and you actually learn how to do Gasfitting and even get your certificate at the end (he just let his run out and never re-licensed it, he didn't like it too much). From what I understand, this is your "B" Gasfitting ticket, allowing you to work on most things under a limit. A and C tickets are for very complex (C is, apparently. Lots of math or something?) while A is for more commerical/heavier load systems. Very similar to plumbing if you want to go into that direction, and also get the gas ticket.. Just an option I guess if you still wish to acquire it.

I'm 22, with pretty average high school grades/courses.

I'm scared of heights (rickety ladders) and don't mind (even prefer in some cases) working evenings.

I've narrowed my search down to 2, and was hoping anybody on the forum could provide insight into these 2 professions.

Feel free to add to my list, especially if it fits my fear of heights / having the option of working nights criteria.

Preferably I'm looking at something that pays at least $25ish per hour, and something that has a good job outlook obviously.

----------------------------------------------------

I've narrowed it down to Gasfitting and Telecommunications Technician. Anybody in these fields? How easy is it to find work? What's the average wage? My understanding is Telcom tech is your typical shaw/telus technician.

And yes I've googled much of this information, but I was hoping to find a little more personal and local insight.

Thank you!

Archived