The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preventing spam from apps

Neversummer

Quick question for you techies.  Once in a while you get these spam (through email) from people you know on your contact list.  It appears to be coming from an app on their phone.  Of course, don't click ... blah blah blah but I want to make sure that it won't happen from my phone.     

1. What the hell are these things and where are they coming from?  Have my friends been watching pron on their phone :ph34r:?  Here are 2 samples, (original does not have space):

http:// caninecabanaomaha.com /feature.php

http:// coloradobackyardmovies.com /visitor.php

2. How can you prevent your phone/app from sending them?  I already have CM antivirus on phone.  

Gracias.  

I'm guessing it means their email was sold by a 3rd party collecting agency to marketing companies. These companies "disguise" themselves as the accounts and uses their contact list to send spam.

The best thing to do is to tell whoever you are getting these emails from that they

1) should change their password, and if that doesn't work, then

2) they need a new email all together

It happens with phone numbers too. I'll get a call from a local number but it will be a telemarketer in disguise. My own phone number had been used this way.

I don't think it had anything to do with you if you are getting spam from other people.

I also would not worry about getting viruses on your phone. Much more difficult to spread viruses these days especially through email since that used to be a big problem.

4 hours ago, BaerOxHitman said:

I'm guessing it means their email was sold by a 3rd party collecting agency to marketing companies. These companies "disguise" themselves as the accounts and uses their contact list to send spam.

The best thing to do is to tell whoever you are getting these emails from that they

1) should change their password, and if that doesn't work, then

2) they need a new email all together

It happens with phone numbers too. I'll get a call from a local number but it will be a telemarketer in disguise. My own phone number had been used this way.

I don't think it had anything to do with you if you are getting spam from other people.

I also would not worry about getting viruses on your phone. Much more difficult to spread viruses these days especially through email since that used to be a big problem.

I had a call from a telemarketer using my own number lol.

Happened twice once with my cell phone and once on my home phone.

Archived