The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Draft Day Trades + Offseason

With the addition of Gudbranson, our defense core becomes pretty crowded. The most likely to move as a result of this trade are probably Edler, Sbisa and/or Pedan. With us losing a good top-60 pick (which I'm fine with) it would be nice to replace it. 

To BUF:

Edler

Hansen

To VAN:

8th Overall Pick 2016

Buffalo is a team that will be looking to make a push for the Playoffs next year. These two pieces would help them greatly. Hansen would fit in very nicely as a middle-6 forward and Edler could provide good veteran presence for Ristolainen. They are both on cap friendly contracts that won't tie them down in 3 years when guys like Eichel and Reinhart need to be re signed. Obviously this depends on their NTC's, but the fact that they get to go together to a young and upcoming team with less pressure could be appealing. For Hansen he could have a chance to play with Eichel and/or Reinhart, and Edler could play with Ristolainen. 

The Canucks add another top-10 pick this year, giving them the 5th and 8th overall picks. This will fast track the retool. They could add a guy like Dubois or Tkachuk at 5th and maybe a guy like Sergachyov to further improve our defense or a forward like Jost or Keller at 8th. That would add two very good prospects on both forward and defense. This will aid our retool efforts tremendously. 

To COL:

Sbisa

To VAN:

2nd/3rd Round Pick 2016

The Avalanche get a good #4/#5 defensman that could provide some depth for them on blue line. He will provide a physical presence which will be useful for their relatively soft defense core. 

The Canucks add another pick this year where they can hopefully get a good player. After losing the second and the fourth, we replace that with probably a 3rd. We also move some payroll that will free up some cap space. 

Resign:

Baertschi: 2-years, 2 million per

Vey: 1-year, 1 million 

Etem: 2-years, 800,000 per

Pedan: 1-year, 800,000 

Cannata: 1-year, 600,000

Grenier: 1-year, 700,000

Friesen: 1-year, 700,000

Zalewski: 2-years, 700,000 per

Sign:

Hamhuis: 2-years, 2.5 million per

Larsen: 1-year, 900,000

Irwin: 1-year, 600,000

Bartley: 2-years, 650,000 per

Cap Space: 14.1 million

Sedin (7.0) - Sedin (7.0) - Burrows (4.5)

Baertschi (2.0) - Horvat (0.894) - Rodin (0.9)

Gaunce (0.863) - Sutter (4.375) - Vey (1.0)

Dorsett (2.65) - Granlund (0.9) Virtanen (0.894)

Grenier (0.7)

On forward, we have another transition year. Our main focus should be developing guys like Horvat, Baertschi, Gaunce, Granlund and Virtanen. Allow them to continue to grow and adapt to new roles and responsibilities. 

Hamhuis (2.5) - Tanev (4.45)

Hutton (0.894) -  Gudbranson (3.5)

Tryamkin (0.925) - Larsen (0.9)

Pedan (0.8), Biega (0.75) 

This defense core has a different look than last year. Hamhuis and Tanev will be the shut down pairing that plays against the oppositions best players. The role isn't ideal for Hamhuis, but it provides a cheap top pairing option. The rest of the defense is allowed continue to improve and develop. 

Miller (6.0)

Markstrom (1.55)

Goalies are the same as last year, which isn't a bad thing as both of them played well next year. The only thing we should be looking for is Markstrom demanding more responsibility. 

Depth:

Forward: Etem, Friesen, Zalewski, Higgins, LaPlante

Defense: Stetcher, Subban, Bartley, Irwin

Goalies: Cannata, Demko, Garteig

Down the line, we have a pretty solid group to build around. We probably won't have any elite players on forward or defense, but a really well rounded group that is very balanced from top to bottom. This will make contract situations easier and probably result in less cap trouble. Depending on if we take Jost/Keller or Sergachyov, put forward or defense could be looking very good moving forward. 

Tkachuk/Dubois - Horvat - Baertschi

Virtanen - ******/Jost/Keller - Boeser

Granlund - Gaunce - Etem

Zalewski - Cassels - Zhukenov

Sergachyov/******* - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson 

Tryamkin - Subban 

Demko

Markstrom

i hope juolevi is available at 5th    this dcorp will be complete if we can get him

edler gudbranson

hutton tanev

tryamkin juolevi

olson subban

markstrom

demko 

built from goalies out.

2 yrs from now  boeser baertchi virtanen  will be so much stronger watch out nhl. 

sbisa and hansen and miller can be traded for more  draft picks.

sbisa for a second 

hansen for a late first

miller  to ducks or stars for a 2nd and 3rd retain half his salary

burrows for a 3rd  retain half his salary  to east 

vey for a 4th

pedan to oilers for a 3rd 

draft as many  picks that fall to later rounder benning can find a bunch of gems in the mix 

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

With the addition of Gudbranson, our defense core becomes pretty crowded. The most likely to move as a result of this trade are probably Edler, Sbisa and/or Pedan. With us losing a good top-60 pick (which I'm fine with) it would be nice to replace it. 

To BUF:

Edler

Hansen

To VAN:

8th Overall Pick 2016

Buffalo is a team that will be looking to make a push for the Playoffs next year. These two pieces would help them greatly. Hansen would fit in very nicely as a middle-6 forward and Edler could provide good veteran presence for Ristolainen. They are both on cap friendly contracts that won't tie them down in 3 years when guys like Eichel and Reinhart need to be re signed. Obviously this depends on their NTC's, but the fact that they get to go together to a young and upcoming team with less pressure could be appealing. For Hansen he could have a chance to play with Eichel and/or Reinhart, and Edler could play with Ristolainen. 

The Canucks add another top-10 pick this year, giving them the 5th and 8th overall picks. This will fast track the retool. They could add a guy like Dubois or Tkachuk at 5th and maybe a guy like Sergachyov to further improve our defense or a forward like Jost or Keller at 8th. That would add two very good prospects on both forward and defense. This will aid our retool efforts tremendously. 

To COL:

Sbisa

To VAN:

2nd/3rd Round Pick 2016

The Avalanche get a good #4/#5 defensman that could provide some depth for them on blue line. He will provide a physical presence which will be useful for their relatively soft defense core. 

The Canucks add another pick this year where they can hopefully get a good player. After losing the second and the fourth, we replace that with probably a 3rd. We also move some payroll that will free up some cap space. 

Resign:

Sign:

Cap Space: 14.1 million

Grenier (0.7)

On forward, we have another transition year. Our main focus should be developing guys like Horvat, Baertschi, Gaunce, Granlund and Virtanen. Allow them to continue to grow and adapt to new roles and responsibilities. 

Hamhuis (2.5) - Tanev (4.45)

Hutton (0.894) -  Gudbranson (3.5)

Tryamkin (0.925) - Larsen (0.9)

Pedan (0.8), Biega (0.75) 

This defense core has a different look than last year. Hamhuis and Tanev will be the shut down pairing that plays against the oppositions best players. The role isn't ideal for Hamhuis, but it provides a cheap top pairing option. The rest of the defense is allowed continue to improve and develop. 

Miller (6.0)

Markstrom (1.55)

Goalies are the same as last year, which isn't a bad thing as both of them played well next year. The only thing we should be looking for is Markstrom demanding more responsibility. 

Depth:

Forward: Etem, Friesen, Zalewski, Higgins, LaPlante

Defense: Stetcher, Subban, Bartley, Irwin

Goalies: Cannata, Demko, Garteig

Down the line, we have a pretty solid group to build around. We probably won't have any elite players on forward or defense, but a really well rounded group that is very balanced from top to bottom. This will make contract situations easier and probably result in less cap trouble. Depending on if we take Jost/Keller or Sergachyov, put forward or defense could be looking very good moving forward. 

Tkachuk/Dubois - Horvat - Baertschi

Virtanen - ******/Jost/Keller - Boeser

Granlund - Gaunce - Etem

Zalewski - Cassels - Zhukenov

Sergachyov/******* - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson 

Tryamkin - Subban 

Demko

Markstrom

edlers ntc says hi hes going nowhere  plus edler is worth 8th overall plus a 2nd  and hansen is worth a late first  good luck 

To BUF:

Edler

Hansen

To VAN:

8th Overall Pick 2016

Don't think this will happen.
Hansen is not going to get you a high 1st round....

To COL:

Sbisa

To VAN:

2nd/3rd Round Pick 2016

Would love this trade....

Closer to a 3ed then a 2nd.

Resign:

Baertschi. Yes

Vey.... HELL NO

Etem No

Pedan yes 2-way deal

Cannata No our goalies right now. Miller, Markstrom, Demko, Bachman, Garteig. We dont need Cannata.

Grenier yes 2 way deal

friesen yes 2 way deal

Zalewski yes 2 way deal

Sign:

I don't think we are going to resign Hamhuis....

Larsen We will sign

Irwin? Why?

Bartley again i ask why?

Grenier (0.7)

I ask you this?

Why do you think...

Rodin is going to be a 2nd line winger?

Why is Sutter on the 3ed line?

Why is Vey still in the NHL?

Why is Dorsett our 3ed highest paid Winger?

If anything we should be trading Dorsett for what ever bag of used pucks we can get.

I played for the BWC when I was growing up..

One Coach I had was Named Bill Hunt.

His motto was "I never put a kid in a situation to fail."

Why are we putting Virtanen in a situation to fail in the fourth line?

37 minutes ago, ChampStatus said:

Don't think this will happen.
Hansen is not going to get you a high 1st round....

Would love this trade....

Closer to a 3ed then a 2nd.

Baertschi. Yes

Vey.... HELL NO

Etem No

Pedan yes 2-way deal

Cannata No our goalies right now. Miller, Markstrom, Demko, Bachman, Garteig. We dont need Cannata.

Grenier yes 2 way deal

friesen yes 2 way deal

Zalewski yes 2 way deal

I don't think we are going to resign Hamhuis....

Larsen We will sign

Irwin? Why?

Bartley again i ask why?

I ask you this?

Why do you think...

Rodin is going to be a 2nd line winger?

Why is Sutter on the 3ed line?

Why is Vey still in the NHL?

Why is Dorsett our 3ed highest paid Winger?

If anything we should be trading Dorsett for what ever bag of used pucks we can get.

I played for the BWC when I was growing up..

One Coach I had was Named Bill Hunt.

His motto was "I never put a kid in a situation to fail."

Why are we putting Virtanen in a situation to fail in the fourth line?

If we need to add maybe a little more to the trade then we can. A smaller piece like Gaunce or Cassels could be added

I agree the Sbisa trade would be most likely a 3rd. 

Resigning Vey to a cheap, one year contract to me isn't that big of a deal. He provides good depth and can play a smart game. He improved this year and should improve next year. The main reason we should sign him (or another cheap option) rather than a guy like Okposo or Ladd is because it won't restrict us with a lack of cap space moving forward. After this year, Horvat, Hutton, Markstrom, Gudbranson, Tryamkin and Gaunce need extensions. We need to be prepared to deal with that and not be forced to move one of them at a lower price. We need all the cap space we can get, and resigning Vey over some other options provides with that. 

With Cannata, I was also going to include a small trade to move out Bachman. Apparently Cannata outplayed him this year, so Bachman could be the odd man out. Maybe trade him for a 7th or put him on waivers or something. 

If if we move Edler we need someone to stay ahead of Hutton on the depth chart. Hamhuis isn't ideally a top pairing defensman anymore, but resigning him would again cause less stress on our cap than signing someone else in Free Agency. 

Bartley and Irwin are depth guys that could go down in Utica. They can come up and play in the NHL when injuries undoubtedly strike on our blue line. They are purely depth signings. 

Fitting in Rodin next year is a little tricky. He probably won't have as much success in the bottom 6, and he isn't feisty enough to play with the Sedins. He isn't necessarily our go-to sniper, but playing with Baertschi and Horvat is probably his best chance at success, instead of a with a shutdown guy like Sutter. Also, with the way Willie rolls his lines, he won't be taking ice time away from anyone else. 

Sutter will be out matchup centre, leaving Horvat with more offensive freedom and a little less pressure. 

I don't think playing Virtanen on the fourth line would be putting him in a position to fail. He is a young power forward that is still learning the physical side of the game. Playing with the Sedins or Sutter would be putting too much pressure on him in different situations. We need to just let this kid play. Again, with the way Willie rolls his lines, he won't be underused. He is also playing with a good playmaker in Granlund, so offense shouldn't be thrown out the window. 

7 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Resigning Vey to a cheap, one year contract to me isn't that big of a deal. He provides good depth and can play a smart game. He improved this year and should improve next year. The main reason we should sign him (or another cheap option) rather than a guy like Okposo or Ladd is because it won't restrict us with a lack of cap space moving forward. After this year, Horvat, Hutton, Markstrom, Gudbranson, Tryamkin and Gaunce need extensions. We need to be prepared to deal with that and not be forced to move one of them at a lower price. We need all the cap space we can get, and resigning Vey over some other options provides with that. 

Vey is not a depth player...

He is sloppy in the Defensive end.

8 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

With Cannata, I was also going to include a small trade to move out Bachman. Apparently Cannata outplayed him this year, so Bachman could be the odd man out. Maybe trade him for a 7th or put him on waivers or something. 

at the end of the day. We want Demko playing as much as he can?

Why resign Cannata when we can have a solid back up in Bachman or Garteig

10 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Sutter will be out matchup centre, leaving Horvat with more offensive freedom and a little less pressure. 

The problem last year we have to rely to much on Horvat again to the "I never put a kid in a situation to fail."

Horvat on the third line will match up against weaker Centers and will be able to get more confidence in his game and take over Sutter's spot at the 2nd line Center spot by the end of the year.

22 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I don't think playing Virtanen on the fourth line would be putting him in a position to fail. He is a young power forward that is still learning the physical side of the game. Playing with the Sedins or Sutter would be putting too much pressure on him in different situations. We need to just let this kid play. Again, with the way Willie rolls his lines, he won't be underused. He is also playing with a good playmaker in Granlund, so offense shouldn't be thrown out the window. 

You are putting more pressure on him when you are playing him with Dorsett - Granlund. He would have to work harder to get the points and success in the defensive zone. Dorsett is a Pim King and Granlund is a poor defensive zone center. Vs playing him with Sutter who has a 200 foot game and will be able to help lead Jake. Gaunce should not be on the 4th line.

Archived