The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WHL Draft Order Process

Rate this topic

The WHL held their draft lottery today and for the most part the lottery is similar to the NHL. With so few teams being left out of the playoffs there isn't as much opportunity to move up like the NHL but the format is roughly the same. 

Where I see a difference from the NHL draft is in all the rounds after the first. The order after the first round defaults back to total regular season points. So this year as example, three teams that made the playoffs (Vancouver, Spokane & PG) will all pick higher than three teams that did not make the playoffs (Calgary, SC & Regina) after the first round due to less points being needed in the west to make the playoffs. I don't know if it will make a big difference in the end considering your trying to project how good 15 yr olds will be but just something I find odd about the WHL. 

59 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

The WHL held their draft lottery today and for the most part the lottery is similar to the NHL. With so few teams being left out of the playoffs there isn't as much opportunity to move up like the NHL but the format is roughly the same. 

Where I see a difference from the NHL draft is in all the rounds after the first. The order after the first round defaults back to total regular season points. So this year as example, three teams that made the playoffs (Vancouver, Spokane & PG) will all pick higher than three teams that did not make the playoffs (Calgary, SC & Regina) after the first round due to less points being needed in the west to make the playoffs. I don't know if it will make a big difference in the end considering your trying to project how good 15 yr olds will be but just something I find odd about the WHL. 

I don't think it matters much one way or the other to be honest. More than 50% of WHL rosters are comprised of players that were never drafted out of Bantam which supports your final statement.

43 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't think it matters much one way or the other to be honest. More than 50% of WHL rosters are comprised of players that were never drafted out of Bantam which supports your final statement.

Pretty sure you just pulled that out of your behind. The Vancouver Giants roster alone has all but one player drafted whether out of bantam or Import.

Also, the NHL does revert back to regular season points after round one… in 2019 Ottawa finished last but lost the lottery and picked forth (Well, Colorado did since they had their pick), but in the 2nd round, they picked first.

4 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

Pretty sure you just pulled that out of your behind. The Vancouver Giants roster alone has all but one player drafted whether out of bantam or Import.

Also, the NHL does revert back to regular season points after round one… in 2019 Ottawa finished last but lost the lottery and picked forth (Well, Colorado did since they had their pick), but in the 2nd round, they picked first.

I thought it was 50 so went back to the attached letter and it is actually 25%...........did not pull from my behind but obviously bad memory.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=a4463f613c&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-a:r-2284495812289275842&th=171cd7e684c3e864&view=att&disp=inline&realattid=171cd7d3176a43eebc06

Edited by Rick Blight

1 hour ago, Bounce000 said:

Right the selection order goes back to pre lottery order as you pointed out. But in the NHL, if you make the playoffs I don’t believe you pick higher on any round than a non-playoff team. What I see with the WHL is that in the second round. playoff bound teams will pick ahead of non playoff teams due to then technically having less regular season points.