The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

LOL.

Apparently there was a flood at the Broadway-City Hall Station yesterday. Because of road construction on Cambie, the drains were clogged with silt so rainwater was rushing over them down the hill on Cambie. So you had a whole lot of water pooling in front of the station entrance, and it eventually began to flow into the station because the station walkway is sloped...apparently it was like a river of water going into the station.

It's a terrible design.

Haha... Well the good news is that rain in Vancouver is a RARE EVENT and we won't see this happen EVERY WEEK!

It's sad how the original skytrain, built almost 25 years ago in the exact same city, is so much better designed than the 2009 Canada Line. Hooray for progress...

^ actually, even Translink thinks the Expo Line is underbuilt. To quote one spokesman: "If only we knew back then, we'd build longer platforms and centre platforms only..." When I asked him about the Canada Line, he had a really sad face....the rest, you all probably know.

^ actually, even Translink thinks the Expo Line is underbuilt. To quote one spokesman: "If only we knew back then, we'd build longer platforms and centre platforms only..." When I asked him about the Canada Line, he had a really sad face....the rest, you all probably know.

If I were him, I would've facepalmed right there and then.

OK, so can we get someone on this please?

What I want is as you come along Marine Dr. and pass under the Arthur Laing Bridge, barriers put up so that you can't make a left to cut across all the bridge traffic to get to the left turn lane there by the Chevron. Go up to 70th where there is a light and quit creating a bottle neck.

OK, so can we get someone on this please?

What I want is as you come along Marine Dr. and pass under the Arthur Laing Bridge, barriers put up so that you can't make a left to cut across all the bridge traffic to get to the left turn lane there by the Chevron. Go up to 70th where there is a light and quit creating a bottle neck.

*feels proud*

Driving from Richmond to UBC, I usually turn left at 70th instead of the Chevron anyways.

So... Am I on your good side? ;)

Edited by BuckyHermit

You wouldn't be the problem anyway because you would be coming off the bridge and getting to the left turn lane is smooth.

Sometimes not as smooth as you might think... I hate it when the left-turn lane's traffic spills over to the "normal" lanes at that area.

So I'm thinking there should be under covers on board the buses these days. This morning the burrard station bus was full as ever. So instead of being in a full bus, I went in the number 10 behind it. Around commercial drive, 3 aboriginals entered smelling of alcohol. I don't know why the bus driver didn't smell or hear, them opening up a beer can on the bus - one of them brought on 3. They were fooling around in the bus, and crushing the cans with there feet and just leaving the crushed cans under the seats. Just before they got off one of them pulls out this white powdered substance - at first I thought it was cocaine, so i was like "nah there not doing what i think there doing"so everybody was looking back to where they were, and then all i heard was this one big sniff. And then the guy pulled out some more, and the women went in on the action. I mean come on, doing that stuff on the bus. I was going to say something, but I was waiting for anybody else to say something, atleast to the bus driver. And nobody did, I geuss they didn't want to get involved. What if there were little children on that bus? And saw that stuff, luckily there weren't any. The got off yelling and banging on the doors as they were stepping off just before downtown. Something should really been done!

Does anyone know how to get to Victoria airport from royal oak exchange?

I know buses go past the airport on the way to Schwatrz bay but I'm kinda new to public trans, and i dont know if there are designated stops near the airport

Thanks,

The only bus that goes to the airport is the 83, but the schedule is umm...spotty at best.

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/sched...fm?line=83&

Honestly, your best bet is to take the shuttle

http://www.victoriaairportshuttle.com/

You can either take it from downtown, or get the 70 from royal oak exchange to McTavish Park and Ride and get it from there. Just make sure to call ahead and reserve.

Stealing this story from the Buzzer blog:

The new Commercial-Broadway Station entrance is open!

Hey—the new 10th ave entrance at Commercial-Broadway Station is now open!

Go ahead and use it: there’s a lovely new staircase leading up to platforms 3 and 4, a shiny new up escalator, plus great new lighting and glass walls at the ground level. (See the full list of upgrades here — plus here’s what it used to look like.)

Just be aware of a couple of things:

* The elevator is still out: it’s awaiting inspection and will be working soon!

* The ticket vending machines at the new entrance are cash-only today.

* Watch out: some construction is still going on!

* An official opening will happen in a few weeks.

I have to say it’s pretty exciting that the new entrance is open so soon. Remember that the initial end date was December 2009? Plus, it’s great that we never had to close the station during the whole upgrade period!

OK, now here’s a few more photos of the new station entrance, plus links to past upgrade posts.

img_4740.jpg

img_4743.jpg

img_4744.jpg

img_4734.jpg

What it used to look like:

img_7969-web.jpg

Original Link: http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php/2009/...open/#more-5878

Looks pretty cool. Much less dreary and dark than before.

Edited by trek

Well, at least the station name's not Comm'l-Bdway Stn.

Are they going to change the station announcement to match the name-change?

Ie. instead of:

"the next station is...Broadway. Transfer point to the Millenium Line via. Commercial Drive station."

it should probably say:

"the next station is..Commercial Broadway, transfer point to the Millenium Line via. platforms 3 and 4 (or 1 and 2, I forget.)

or, to match the platform signs "the next station is commel beedway"

Yes?

Are they going to change the station announcement to match the name-change?

Ie. instead of:

"the next station is...Broadway. Transfer point to the Millenium Line via. Commercial Drive station."

it should probably say:

"the next station is..Commercial Broadway, transfer point to the Millenium Line via. platforms 3 and 4 (or 1 and 2, I forget.)

or, to match the platform signs "the next station is commel beedway"

Yes?

Here's what Seoul does:

"[plays a 3-second music clip] The next station is Bucky Station. Bucky Station. The exit doors are on the left. You can transfer to the Green Line, line number 2."

Every transfer station has a little music clip before the announcement, and every line is numbered. The exit doors' location is based on the train's direction. So face the front of the train, and you'll see where left and right are.

It works quite well.

Edited by BuckyHermit

Here's what Seoul does:

"[plays a 3-second music clip] The next station is Bucky Station. Bucky Station. The exit doors are on the left. You can transfer to the Green Line, line number 2."

Every transfer station has a little music clip before the announcement, and every line is numbered. The exit doors' location is based on the train's direction. So face the front of the train, and you'll see where left and right are.

It works quite well.

there are also turnstiles, an effective smart card system that manages distance-based fares, numerous LCD displays inside trains and above the platforms, not to mention intuitive signage all throughout inside and outside of subway stations. vandalism and property crime? not a chance. World-class cities like Seoul have mass transit that's actually FUNCTIONAL, something the GVRD doesn't have and leaves commuters with no alternative BUT to drive.

there are also turnstiles, an effective smart card system that manages distance-based fares, numerous LCD displays inside trains and above the platforms, not to mention intuitive signage all throughout inside and outside of subway stations. vandalism and property crime? not a chance. World-class cities like Seoul have mass transit that's actually FUNCTIONAL, something the GVRD doesn't have and leaves commuters with no alternative BUT to drive.

They also play a siren noise when the train is approaching. So if you're sitting down waiting, you know to get ready. And if you're standing, you know to step back from the tracks.

It goes like:

"[siren] The train bound for Buckyville is approaching. Please stay behind the yellow line."

They do this even if there are platform screen doors.

You're also dead-on about vandalism -- I've literally NEVER seen vandalism on the trains here. But then again, people here seem to treat public property better than Vancouverites.

Edited by BuckyHermit