The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The HEAVY METAL Thread

canucklehead666

What Genre of Metal do you listen to?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Also notice someone mentioned about the Metal Evolution series on VH1. Not sure if anyone knows but the same director, Sam Dunn, also did 2 documentaries about heavy metal's impact on culture (I think he has a PhD in Anthropoogy) called Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Global Metal. Definitely worth checking out.

I've seen the "Journey" DVD (actually own it... which is what made me excited when he was doing the Rush movie.) But not the Global Metal... how does it differ from the other things he does?

First time I've come across this thread which is cool because I rarely discuss about the music I listen to. Here's some of the bands I listen to:

Metallica

Megadeth

Iron Maiden

Tool

Children of Bodom

In Flames

Opeth

Dream Theater

Symphony X

Blind Guardian

Iced Earth

Nightwish

Mastodon

Katatonia

Between the Buried and Me

Dimmu Borgir

Cradle of Filth

Chthonic

Anthelion

Also notice someone mentioned about the Metal Evolution series on VH1. Not sure if anyone knows but the same director, Sam Dunn, also did 2 documentaries about heavy metal's impact on culture (I think he has a PhD in Anthropoogy) called Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Global Metal. Definitely worth checking out.

rarely do i meet a Katatonia fan.

Love that band

this is a mixture of everything you mentioned IMO

The Old Dead Tree from Paris France.

They are on my so awesome I don't even like showing people category

They broke up a few years back.

one can only imagine what they would have come up with.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Mastodon

I love Mastodon, I especially love thier drummer Brann Dailor, the guys a beast behind that kit.

I just bought thier new album a few days ago, so far it's my favourite.

Lemmy.jpg

All Hail Lemmy

Ha ha ha ha!!

I've seen the "Journey" DVD (actually own it... which is what made me excited when he was doing the Rush movie.) But not the Global Metal... how does it differ from the other things he does?

Its similar to the "Journey" DVD but he travels to Brazil, Japan, China, and around the Middle-East and most of the bands he interviews are part of the metal underground. I liked how he talks about how the metal fans come from different cultures, but all share the same reason of why they listen to metal music.

I love Mastodon, I especially love thier drummer Brann Dailor, the guys a beast behind that kit.

I just bought thier new album a few days ago, so far it's my favourite.

Don't know much about drummers but that Dailor guy got some sick hands. The Hunter is really good, especially Dry Bone Valley, but I'm a huge fan of Blood Mountain and Leviathan because imo all the songs on each album are worth listening to

Guest Gumballthechewy

Don't know much about drummers but that Dailor guy got some sick hands. The Hunter is really good, especially Dry Bone Valley, but I'm a huge fan of Blood Mountain and Leviathan because imo all the songs on each album are worth listening to

Dailor is a magician on the drums. He's like Neil Pert if Neil Pert played metal.

The only Mastodon album I'm not a big fan of is thier first one, I never could get into it.

Its similar to the "Journey" DVD but he travels to Brazil, Japan, China, and around the Middle-East and most of the bands he interviews are part of the metal underground. I liked how he talks about how the metal fans come from different cultures, but all share the same reason of why they listen to metal music.

ever watch "Decline of Western Civilization Pt. 2?"

• 2 weeks later...

since 80s metal was mentioned... might as well get the conversation going here again.

what good metal bands unfairly suffered when the "80s metal" scene died?

two bands I always think of is Tesla and Skid Row. I never felt either band fit the mold of "hair metal" for different reasons. Tesla always seemed more of a "hard rock" type of band that was more like Aerosmoth rather than Poison. Skid Row is on the other side of that... meaning they were more "metal" sounding than a lot of those other "hair bands." No they weren't Metallica, but they were easily more heavy then Motley Crue.

since 80s metal was mentioned... might as well get the conversation going here again.

what good metal bands unfairly suffered when the "80s metal" scene died?

two bands I always think of is Tesla and Skid Row. I never felt either band fit the mold of "hair metal" for different reasons. Tesla always seemed more of a "hard rock" type of band that was more like Aerosmoth rather than Poison. Skid Row is on the other side of that... meaning they were more "metal" sounding than a lot of those other "hair bands." No they weren't Metallica, but they were easily more heavy then Motley Crue.

Tesla was a band that I thought would explode in the 80's. Mechanical Resonance and The Great Radio Controversy are both awesome Rock 'N' Roll albums. Little Suzi, Love Song and Signs (cover) are their "hits".

Skid Row were awesome, too. Sebastian Bach, their lead singer, was Canadian and has an awesome voice for Rock. They had a number of MTV hits off of their first album, Skid Row, and had their first big tour openings for Bon Jovi and Aerosmith in the late 80's. My favorite Skid Row song is Monkey Business from their Slave To The Grind album.

Check out both bands. Well worth the time and money!

I don't think I've ever heard Skid Row before, gotta check them out.

http://youtu.be/VJrbHapH5pM

Some other of their most recognizable tunes are "18 and life" "I remember you" "Wasted Time" "Quicksand Jesus" "Slave to the Grind".

Tesla was a band that I thought would explode in the 80's. Mechanical Resonance and The Great Radio Controversy are both awesome Rock 'N' Roll albums. Little Suzi, Love Song and Signs (cover) are their "hits".

Tesla is one of my favs. Their debut was just the wrong place at the wrong time. They were like ZZ Top with a major mean streak.

http://youtu.be/1nMXgp7_I4M

I don't think I've ever heard Skid Row before, gotta check them out.

if you've never heard them, listen to the album "Slave to the Grind." It's less "commercial" than the first album and has more of an edge to their sound (not to mention a great line that people forgot; "you can't be king of the world if your a slave to the grind."

Archived