The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Killing

G.K. Chesterton

So it seems just about everybody is ripping the season finale of The Killing. I didn't mind the finale that much, although I thought the rest of the season was better overall. Meh, I guess I'm just not a good critic.

In case people haven't seen the finale yet...

It was too obvious that it was Richmond. From the start of the season he seemed too apparent that it was him.

This is what I think happened. Richmond was probably sleeping with Rosie and something happened that made Rosie nervous. When they got to the gas station, she tried to make a run for it. Richmond, not wanting her to squeal to the authorities, and also worried that she could endanger herself wandering through the forest at 1:30-2 am, pursued her. They said Rosie's foot was torn up from running. I think she might have slipped or fallen into the water and accidentally drowned herself. Richmond comes across her body and wants to try to cover it up as best he can and so he puts the body in the trunk and ditches it in the lake. Meanwhile, Holder is either working with the current mayor or Drexler.

Or maybe I'm just not a good Hardy boy.

Also, the ending, specifically when Belko pulls out the gun, reminded me a lot of the season two finale of 24.

Just finished the first season. My PVR had them recorded weeks ago, but I just couldn't bring myself to watch them because it was so depressing...none stop rain, dark and gloomy locales, and none of the characters were all that likeable. Not on the level of Breaking Bad & Walking Dead, drama wise, but I'm looking forward to the next season because of how it ended.

• 8 months later...

I am excite. I was a bit disappointed that they never resolved Rosie's murder by the end of the first season, so I hope they don't keep dragging it on for this one either. Turning the murder into a whole conspiracy seems kind of overly dramatic. Still eager to watch though..

• 3 months later...

About the show's finale tonight...

So, I was right about Aunt Terry's involvement.

:P

However, I hated how they just "solved" the murder by accidents and gave no hints whatsoever regarding the guilty party in prior episodes.

But because of the quality acting, I'd give the show a 7 out of 10.

This is the way to make an intense show, give it only two seasons!! they packed so much into so little time, alot of people complained it was too slow, but this show definitely delivered. Don't think they can make a third season because everything is wrapped up in the finale. Getting 1st season on blu-ray and pretty anxious, wish more TV was like this and not like Jersey Shore.

It was an interesting twist, although it was a very strange "wrong place, wrong time" situation for the aunt. I was kind of surprised at Mitch's reaction though, I mean she kind of hugs her sister during the embrace, which I thought was kind of strange to do considering everything she just found out. It was still a nice episode though. I had a feeling that Jamie played a role obviously, but didn't actually commit the murder. And it's so messed up how Richmond has deserted all his beliefs in the aftermath by working along with Jackson and Ames, leaving Gwen out in the dark.

And was it just me, or did anyone else think that someone was getting murdered when there was a scream from Rosie playing with her brothers at the beginning of the episode?

Overall, I really enjoyed the series. I've been reading that a third season of the show may not happen and as I've mentioned before, I think it's largely due to the fact that the identity of Rosie's killer was stretched out for two seasons, a little bit too long. This case did take about 26 days (each episode is a day right) for Linden and Holder to solve this case, which may be "normal", as 13 days to solve a murder like this might seem kind of fast (I wouldn't know). But I think if each case lasted a season long that would be perfect. I enjoy having a season-long case for the plot and characters to develop, to find out more backstories, more twists, etc. But two seasons just to solve this case might have been a bit too much for some to handle. I am hoping that they'll get another season to implement a case per season kind of thing, but with the way that the ending between Linden and Holder was set up, it seems kind of unlikely now.

This is the way to make an intense show, give it only two seasons!! they packed so much into so little time, alot of people complained it was too slow, but this show definitely delivered. Don't think they can make a third season because everything is wrapped up in the finale. Getting 1st season on blu-ray and pretty anxious, wish more TV was like this and not like Jersey Shore.

• 1 month later...

...And it's cancelled.

http://www.theprovince.com/entertainment/cancels+Vancouver+shot+series+Killing/7003224/story.html

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — AMC has cancelled The Killing after two seasons.

The filmed-in-Vancouver drama was nominated for several Emmys in its first season, but ratings dropped this past spring following a controversial first-season finale. The Killing was overlooked in this year's nominations, announced earlier this month.

AMC's decision means lead actors Joel Kinnaman, Billy Campbell and 2011 drama actress Emmy nominee Mireille Enos are now free to pursue other projects.

"After much deliberation, we've come to the difficult decision not to renew The Killing for a third season," AMC said in a statement late Friday. "AMC is incredibly proud of the show and is fortunate to have worked with such a talented team on this project, from showrunner Veena Sud and our terrific partners at Fox Television Studios to the talented, dedicated crew and exceptional cast."

AMC's filmed-in-Calgary western Hell on Wheels is still in production. The second season premieres next month.

AMC's other dramas Breaking Bad, Mad Men and The Walking Dead will all return.

• 6 months later...

Necropost.

AMC and Fox Television Studios Partner on The Killing Season 3

tk2-gallery-holder-linden-2-560.jpg

AMC and Fox Television Studios (FTVS) announced today a new deal which will return The Killing to AMC for a third season. As part of the deal, Veena Sud returns as executive producer, writer and showrunner along with actors Mireille Enos (Sarah Linden) and Joel Kinnaman (Stephen Holder). Season 3 will focus on a new case, which will be resolved over the course of 12 episodes. Production on Season 3 begins Mon., Feb. 25 in Vancouver.

"The Killing from day one has been a truly original take on the crime drama. Veena Sud and the rest of the talented creative team are hard at work shaping the lives of Linden and Holder, portrayed by the terrific Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman," said Charlie Collier, AMC's president. "We're so pleased to welcome back The Killing for another season."

Fox TV Studios President, David Madden, said, "We have always believed in The Killing and remain extremely proud of it, which is why we all worked so hard to find a scenario that could give it new life."

"I couldn't be happier to know that I will be returning to work with AMC, FTVS and Mireille and Joel on what is and has always been a passion project for me. To the fans that have supported the series, thank you for doing so. My team and I will work hard to deliver the best story that we can for season three," said Veena Sud.

A year after closing the Rosie Larsen case, Sarah Linden is no longer a detective. But when her ex-partner Stephen Holder's search for a runaway girl leads him to discover a gruesome string of murders that connects to a previous murder investigation by Linden, she is drawn back into the life she thought she'd left behind.

The Killing is produced by Fox Television Studios and executive produced by Mikkel Bondesen for Bondesen Productions. Kristen Campo serves as co-executive producer.

The series premiered on AMC Sun., Apr. 3, 2011, with Season 2 premiering Sun., Apr. 1, 2012. The Killing averaged 1.9 million viewers over the two seasons.

AMC's Joel Stillerman, executive vice president of original programming, production and digital content, Susie Fitzgerald, senior vice president of scripted development and current programming and Jason Fisher, senior vice president of production oversee production of the series for the network.

• 4 months later...

Archived