The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

This is a really long thread and search is disabled, so I'm going to post here hoping someone can give me an answer...

I deleted my facebook two years ago, so I can't access the event page. What time/where is the clean-up starting? Watching the footage disgusted me, and I don't like the thought of my city littered with debris, so I want to do whatever I can to help.

For those of you that were downtown, how bad was it actually? How many people were actually "rioting"? Yah okay, I know they broke some windows and burned a car but I talked to one of my friends who was downtown and he didn't really think it was " riot" more like just a few drunk idiots making trouble. Not trying to excuse anything here, you just wonder how much of it is media sensationalism.

It's funny too, I was talking to another friend and we both agreed that if this was Montreal rioting no one would blink an eye. I wonder how that city gets away with it all the time without it "tarnishing their image."

Guest Voucer

The Bay lit on fire, mass rioting, London Drugs raided and looted, windows smashed everywhere, enormous crowds actively assaulting each other and resisting the riot squads...

Boom. Boom. Tear gas, batons flailing everywhere, pepper spray canisters. Cars set on fire, trucks flipped over...

It's indescribable. The horror had to be witnessed either on television or live to be fully understood. It was absolute chaos for nearly five hours. And it's still continuing, though CTV News has stopped its live coverage.

Time

Today at 7:00am - Saturday at 10:00am

Info here:

Update: Tentatively it looks like the police will let people start cleaning around 7am with certain areas closed. VancouverPD will be contacted in the morning to confirm, pay attention to the event and twitter (@Vancouverclean)

* @vancouverclean - Tweet updates from the clean up! If anyone is there early or knows when the city is open and ready to be cleaned up tweet it so everyone knows!

Once the embarrassing rioting has ended in Vancouver let's all show the world what Vancouver is really about by helping rebuild and clean up so it is better than it was before.

If any city can bounce back from an embarrassment like this it is Vancouver!

Invite all of your friends! Let's see if we can get Vancouver looking like a new city by noon Thursday!

Things you will need:

Gloves

Garbage bags

Friends and family

Music?

Smiles and Canucks spirit

Police may not be ready to have people re enter the city - worried about continued looting etc. so lets start tentatively at 7am. It is very possible that will be postponed. I'm sure this group of people will be completely respectful and follow the orders of any officers.

This is truly one of the worst days of my life.

My Canucks losing when they were so close to winning it all. And these stupid idiots who are ruining Vancouver's reputation by destroying our city. You people are only making the suffering worse, because now I feel like we are the worst fans in the league when you see crap like this.

This is a nightmare... but hopefully tomorrow will be better.....

That was the one of the first things referred to by many of the individuals speaking on the phone to CTV:

1. The VPD's media spokeswoman, Jana McGuinness.

2. Minister of Public Safety, Shirley Bond

3. Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson

This city's reputation has been destroyed by what has unfolded this evening. They'll likely have to reconsider any large gatherings in this city in the future.

The maturity shown by this city during the 2010 Olympics has been entirely undone. This is receiving international media coverage. We have returned to being the no-fun city -- all because of the stupidity of the hooligans we saw tonight.

Archived