The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

LOL at CDC getting broken from me posting.

I was downtown.

I saw the game.

I saw the riot.

There are no lack of idiots or overreactors in Vancouver. It's the perfect storm.

I texted my friend before four o'clock (FOUR O' CLOCK!!) "The skytrain is a Gong Show!"

"I got on one and rode downtown but it was crazy the whole way!

How about Vancouver based businesses looking for investment and of course the TOURISM industry?

What flaws can we take of besides the police learning better ways to disperse a riot? This could have happened in any Western city. A crowd of people turned up and a small group (possibly anarchists) cause chaos and incite a riot.

How about Vancouver based businesses looking for investment and of course the TOURISM industry?

What flaws can we take of besides the police learning better ways to disperse a riot? This could have happened in any Western city. A crowd of people turned up and a small group (possibly anarchists) cause chaos and incite a riot.

Yup, it sucks but the police really needed to be more prepared if they were so worried about their business/tourism image. If nothing else it showed that this city was extremely unprepared. even the mayor said how he knew there was a group of hooligans out there that would cause trouble. its not news to anyone. hooligans in 94 and hooligans in 2011. yup, it totally sucks, but it just shows that one small mistake like not planning for a bunch of idiots running around can ruin a city's reputation.

i got the hell out of downtown after the 2nd intermission. pretty obvious what was going to happen.

For those of you that were downtown, how bad was it actually? How many people were actually "rioting"? Yah okay, I know they broke some windows and burned a car but I talked to one of my friends who was downtown and he didn't really think it was " riot" more like just a few drunk idiots making trouble. Not trying to excuse anything here, you just wonder how much of it is media sensationalism.

It's funny too, I was talking to another friend and we both agreed that if this was Montreal rioting no one would blink an eye. I wonder how that city gets away with it all the time without it "tarnishing their image."

For those of you that were downtown, how bad was it actually? How many people were actually "rioting"? Yah okay, I know they broke some windows and burned a car but I talked to one of my friends who was downtown and he didn't really think it was " riot" more like just a few drunk idiots making trouble. Not trying to excuse anything here, you just wonder how much of it is media sensationalism.

It's funny too, I was talking to another friend and we both agreed that if this was Montreal rioting no one would blink an eye. I wonder how that city gets away with it all the time without it "tarnishing their image."

This is a really long thread and search is disabled, so I'm going to post here hoping someone can give me an answer...

I deleted my facebook two years ago, so I can't access the event page. What time/where is the clean-up starting? Watching the footage disgusted me, and I don't like the thought of my city littered with debris, so I want to do whatever I can to help.

Archived