1166 replies to this topic

#511 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

i got it, and it's updating. the day one update takes about an hour+ reglarly, with it being day 1 i'm assuming it'll be longer.

i love how it synced directly to the tv in the easiest way possible. i've never had a universal remote work THAT well!!!

#512 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

most of yesterday was spent updating (day 1 update and additional system update for NSMBU, presumably for miiverse interactions) and transferring over my wii content to my wiiu. I LOVED the transfer process though, it has this amazing and cute 3D animation of pikmin boxing up all your save files and games and transporting them through a series of tunnels and ramps into a ship, it takes off and flys to the wii u, lands on the wiiu platform, and then they unload it all, through a series of more impressive looking tunnels and platforms and unbox the data. and the music! sooo good! it's little things like this that really sets nintendo apart. they could have just did a loading bar or a simple 2d repetitive animation with the typical clocking noise (which is what sony and microsoft probably would have done, if that), but they took it a step, nay a leap further.

the rest of my day consisted of playing new super mario brothers u (amazing game, extremely deserving of all it's high praise) setting up the settings/linking my nintendo network account to my club nintendo account, and DLing all the eshop games that i had to delete off my wii console to make room for new ones.

Edited by avelanch, 19 November 2012 - 09:16 AM.

#513 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

GTA might make its was onto the wii u
http://www.computera...s-best-content/

it might be a stretch for GTA V to make it, at least at launch, but I think there's a good chance it makes it way on over eventually.

#514 Lil B From The Pack

Lil B From The Pack

WWE Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

it might be a stretch for GTA V to make it, at least at launch, but I think there's a good chance it makes it way on over eventually.

I would love to see that personally.

#515 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

I would love to see that personally.

honestly, i haven't been a fan of GTA since it moved to 3D from the isocam/overhead view that i loved, but I can understand why it's important for the wiiu to get it, and I might give it a try if it makes it's way over, we'll see.

Edited by avelanch, 19 November 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#516 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

http://www.wired.com...experience/all/

makes me wish I lived in New York, it sounds like it was a hell of a time.

#517 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

How is the Wii U? Is it true that you can play a game on TV and then transfer it onto that portable gaming device?? I know for a fact that there were at least 20 people waiting in line at the Best Buy Cambie store yesterday since like 7am just to get the Wii U

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#518 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

How is the Wii U? Is it true that you can play a game on TV and then transfer it onto that portable gaming device?? I know for a fact that there were at least 20 people waiting in line at the Best Buy Cambie store yesterday since like 7am just to get the Wii U

it's a hell of a lot of fun, i'm loving the touch navigation, miiverse, and most things about the console. certain games CAN be transferred to the gamepad (the tablet controller), (like new super mario brothers U, which requires no actual switching, as the tablet shows the same output to the tablet as it does on the TV, all you have to do is change the TV input) but not all (some just don't allow for it). and the gamepad is tethered to the system, so you can only go as far away as your connection allows. Mine allows me to walk upstairs and into my bedroom, but only into certain points in the en suite. i haven't tried the other half of the house though, since i locked it off, as we are renovating the baby's room and don't want the dog to get into anything.

#519 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

http://www.giantbomb...ombiu/61-35619/

they have big praise for the game (check out their quick look). seems like zombiu is a very polarizing game, people either love it or hate it for it not being resident evil. I may have to check it out sooner than later. it's looking great to me.

#520 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Nintendo Steams Up the Wii U eShop
The Big N increases its focus on digital downloads.
by Richard George
NOVEMBER 17, 2012

We still haven't been able to access Wii U's eShop, but that hasn't stopped us from learning what games will be available when it launches. Including Nintendo's own full-game offerings, like New Super Mario Bros. U, titles like Trine 2: Director's Cut will be available for download on launch day.
Though the eShop's overall user experience and sales will ultimately determine the success of the service, Nintendo's direct dealings with independent developers is just as important. On the eve of Wii U's launch, we chatted with Trine developer Frozenbyte on working with Nintendo for Wii U, and its perception of the improvements the publisher has made to the eShop as it heads into a new console generation.
"We started working with the Wii U back in March, right after Nintendo contacted us for the first time," said Mikael Haveri, a marketing manager at Frozenbyte. "We had the port of Trine 2 working in about two days and then after that it was just about getting the game to look nicer and to implement the touch screen related features."

Frozenbyte has documented its (easy) Wii U development process before, but what's a bit more interesting is the level of control it enjoys once its game is out in the marketplace. Wii U's eShop operates much like Apple's Appstore. Developers set their prices. More importantly, they also determine when they have sales.
"That's what we love about the new eShop," said Haveri. "We have the power to price our products as we please, with just some basic guidelines from the big guys. The step to this is purely from Nintendos's side and they clearly see that [their] previous installments have not been up to par. We can set our own pricing and actually continuing on that by setting our own sales whenever we want. It is very close to what Apple and Steam are doing at the moment, and very indie friendly."
Steam has certainly become the games industry standard for digital distribution, so there's something very significant about the fact that Haveri evokes (generally) positive comparisons between it and Nintendo repeatedly. In fact it's Steam's lack of price controls (and fees) that make it so appealing to developers, enabling such strong support for the service. Developers are able to track their sales, using price points as promotional tools to incentivize long-term sales. "As a small company we rely a lot on the long term sales of our games, not just how well the game does in the first month. Selling for more than two of the first weeks has been very difficult on the console side so far," Haveri said.
Control over initial and subsequent price payments are one thing, but what about patches or additional content downloads? Some controversy has emerged in recent years, as independent developers of games like Braid and Fez have complained about the steep prices required by publishers like Microsoft when issuing content updates. In the case of XBLA, the first update is free - and then you start paying.
That's not the case with Wii U.
"They have pushed away all of the old methods that have been established before," Haveri told me. "Simply put they've told us that there are no basic payments for each patch (which were pretty high on most platforms) and that we can update our game almost as much as we want. For indie developers this is huge."

Though Haveri likens Nintendo's new approach for pricing to Apple and Steam, he's a bit more cautious when it comes to repeated approval processes. Noting that the 20-something Trine 2 updates through Steam have been effortless (and allowed), Haveri does expect Nintendo to be a bit more in line with Microsoft and Sony when it comes to verifying and approving patches and added content. "We expect it to be longer than what Steam has, but still very competitive compared to the current console standards." Haveri noted that while Trine 2's DLC content is included with the Wii U version of the game, Nintendo has told the developer it has the same philosophy for added content as it does patches - it's free.
All of this is to say that Nintendo seems to be watching Apple and Steam, and reacting accordingly. "Nintendo messed up the worst last time around," Haveri said. "Now they really know that they have to make a huge improvement to get back into the game. What I have seen and heard so far is amazing and it's definitely going in the right direction as far as small developers are concerned."
Haveri also noted Miiverse is something Frozenbyte definitely has its eye on, not just in terms of letting Miis run around and interact, but creating a social avenue that might allow developers to more directly communicate with fans. It's something that's a bit unprecedented in gaming, but is an experiment that might well be worth a developer's time.
The eShop itself is also growing. Though the 3DS version was certainly improved over previous iterations, Wii U will have a larger shopping environment, allowing for more promotion and discovery. "Now we can actually just upload videos about our game after the launch and still have the players come back and have a conversation about it. This makes it possible for everyone to continue that mutual relationship a lot further, rather than having it stop at the transaction."
Haveri stops a bit short of giving Wii U's eShop complete praise, no doubt partly since the system and its online environment haven't even been made public yet. Even so, this is one indie team that's optimistic Nintendo will now be another great avenue for distribution. "Nintendo's eShop has the possibility of showing the way for the future of downloadable games on consoles. Not everything is up to par, but so far it looks like a far superior channel to be a part of. We hope that companies like us realize that and more indie games become available on the Wii U eShop. In the end this is how we see the future of console gaming and hopefully we are not too far away from that reality."

http://www.ign.com/a...the-wii-u-eshop
also the wii U Eshop is up and running now, it's fairly easy to navigate and nice looking to boot.

Edited by avelanch, 19 November 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#521 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,311 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

So they've done an awful job at marketing this.

I've completely forgotten about the Wii U, I was reminded by a friend yesterday.

Gta is not going on the Wii U - Rockstar.

Edited by Armada, 20 November 2012 - 03:38 PM.

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#522 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

So they've done an awful job at marketing this.

I've completely forgotten about the Wii U, I was reminded by a friend yesterday.

Gta is not going on the Wii U - Rockstar.

if you read the article, rockstar speciffically said they are considering it, and that they are not tied to any platform. if it makes financial sense for them they will do it.

#523 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,311 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

if you read the article, rockstar speciffically said they are considering it, and that they are not tied to any platform. if it makes financial sense for them they will do it.

Its too late

Too late to be there for launch. I highly doubt GTA V will be on the Wii U.

But I can see the next Red Dead being on Wii U a high possibility.

Edited by Armada, 20 November 2012 - 04:04 PM.

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#524 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,103 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Nintendo has already run into its first major problem:

New Nintendo Wii U console off to rough start
Some reports say interrupting firmware update leads to 'bricked' device

CBC News Posted: Nov 20, 2012 1:52 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 20, 2012 3:33 PM ET

Nintendo's new Wii U game console hit the stores Sunday, but it's been an unhappy landing for some buyers.

A firmware update necessary for online gaming takes so long to download that some people are interrupting the process out of frustration — which in turn has led to some media reports of the device being "bricked," or broken irretrievably.

Los Angeles Times reporter Ben Fritz tweeted that when he tried to cancel a lengthy firmware update, he ran into problems.

"Wii U has stopped functioning before I managed to play a single game," he tweeted. "I tried to stop an interminable software update and now … nothing. On a related note, anybody in the market for a big black paperweight?"

He wasn't alone...

LINK: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...i-u-update.html

Most experienced gamers know not to interrupt an update. But a lot of people who Nintendo is targetting won't necessarily be familiar with that.

And really - a fully bricked device? No automatic recovery built-in?

PBF131-Lord_Gloom.jpg?1361362669

#525 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Nintendo has already run into its first major problem:

Most experienced gamers know not to interrupt an update. But a lot of people who Nintendo is targetting won't necessarily be familiar with that.

And really - a fully bricked device? No automatic recovery built-in?

my update got cancelled 3 times, all i had to do is restart the DL and it picked up from where it left off. i had no issues, but i guess if you are stupid enough to power down during the updating process (which clearly had a progress bar that did move), then you kinda deserve what you get.

#526 Rees

Rees

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

my update got cancelled 3 times, all i had to do is restart the DL and it picked up from where it left off. i had no issues, but i guess if you are stupid enough to power down during the updating process (which clearly had a progress bar that did move), then you kinda deserve what you get.

You deserve to get your $350 console bricked? Planning on buying the Wii U once Bestbuy gets their next shipment in but this news concerns me. With this crappy weather we've been getting, my power has gone out a couple of times already. If the power goes out while I'm downloading this update, is my system going to brick?

#527 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,103 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

You deserve to get your $350 console bricked?  Planning on buying the Wii U once Bestbuy gets their next shipment in but this news concerns me.  With this crappy weather we've been getting, my power has gone out a couple of times already.  If the power goes out while I'm downloading this update, is my system going to brick?

Yeah, it's definitely a real concern...to anyone other than a huge Nintendo fan-boy who hasn't had it happen to him.

Nintendo stock inched a bit higher around release date (from $15 to $16.50), but it is trending back down right now ($15.50). I'm keeping an eye on it, but still not sold that the Wii U won't end up tanking. The promotional campaign has been downright terrible.

#528 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

So what about the people who doesn't have any experience with gaming? Like your mom, dad, grandma, and grandpa? How are they supposed to know stuff like that?

Yeah, it's definitely a real concern...to anyone other than a huge Nintendo fan-boy who hasn't had it happen to him.

Nintendo stock inched a bit higher around release date (from $15 to $16.50), but it is trending back down right now ($15.50). I'm keeping an eye on it, but still not sold that the Wii U won't end up tanking. The promotional campaign has been downright terrible.

I predict that the Wii U is gonna go down the same path as the original Wii did. Great hardware sales, but atrocious software sales (compared to their competitors). With Nintendo abandoning their console a year or two before their next one comes out.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#529 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,103 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

I predict that the Wii U is gonna go down the same path as the original Wii did. Great hardware sales, but atrocious software sales (compared to their competitors). With Nintendo abandoning their console a year or two before their next one comes out.

Only question is...why?

Original Wii had simple, yet completely innovative ideas, such as Wii Sports and Wii Fit. Probably close 50% of people who bought a Wii mainly wanted it for one of those two things (or both). That's the reason why software sales were so far behind the competition - once these people had Sports/Fit, they were satisfied.

But I see nothing new with the Wii U. The main gimmick this time around - the controller with a screen - is not new (our phones and tablets already do that, and games are far cheaper), innovative, or even all that desireable to anyone who isn't a gamer.

For instance, my parents bought a Wii. Why? For Wii Fit, and exercise games. Will they shell out for a Wii U? No - why would they? What does it do that would interest them, that the Wii doesn't do already? Why would they want a big, bulky controller, when they would never play a controller-based game anyway?

Edited by D-Money, 21 November 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#530 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,531 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

its hilarious how people are already calling the wii u a failure its not even the first week im pretty sure nintendo learned from there mistakes from the wii and will have a way better software line up just give it time

also for the most part with any updates whether it be phone computer or console it always says do not shut off the device

Edited by captaincanuck88, 21 November 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#531 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

^ They're still trying to adhere to the casual gamers which is the exact same mistake that the original Wii did.

Sure they're getting third party support now, but how many of those third party devs will actually continue producing games for the Wii U once it turns out that consumers would rather buy their games for the much more popular choices like the PS3/4 and/or the Xbox 360/720?

Nintendo will never be able to attract hard-core gamers (which is the bread and butter for any consoles life cycle) like Sony and Mircrosoft already has.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#532 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

You deserve to get your $350 console bricked? Planning on buying the Wii U once Bestbuy gets their next shipment in but this news concerns me. With this crappy weather we've been getting, my power has gone out a couple of times already. If the power goes out while I'm downloading this update, is my system going to brick?

not while dowloading, only during the short update process where the patch is being installed.

besides, the only people that have voiced complaints are people that purposely powered down because they were impatient. if it shuts off while downloading you'll just pick right back up from where you left off.

#533 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

So what about the people who doesn't have any experience with gaming? Like your mom, dad, grandma, and grandpa? How are they supposed to know stuff like that?

it says don't power down, my parents are smart enough to not power down when something tells them not to.

#534 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have absolutely no allegiance to any one console. I got the XBOX 360 because it had great games shortly after launch. I got the PS3 about 2 years after launch (price cut) for Blu-Ray (have purchased games for it), and got the Wii as many people have said in the past, because of the novelty and Wii Sports.

When you really look at Nintendo, they have been suffering with software since N64. In total , I believe they only released about 450 games for that console. The Gamecube was a bust, and the Wii was a joke after the novelty wore off.

The WiiU has been labeled a failure already, which isn't fair because it has just launched. However, those in the industry, and knowledgable consumers, have a reason to call it a failure already. For starters, Nintendo has not had a good history releasing good software since the N64. Secondly, they have been doing a p*ss poor job in marketing this console, but I can understand why. It doesn't have an identity to seperate it from the pack, which is its third problem. At least the Wii was different. The WiiU adds nothing to the table that people are not already getting.

I really feel for Nintendo as I suspect this may kill the company, which is unfortunate.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#535 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,531 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

^ They're still trying to adhere to the casual gamers which is the exact same mistake that the original Wii did.

Sure they're getting third party support now, but how many of those third party devs will actually continue producing games for the Wii U once it turns out that consumers would rather buy their games for the much more popular choices like the PS3/4 and/or the Xbox 360/720?

Nintendo will never be able to attract hard-core gamers (which is the bread and butter for any consoles life cycle) like Sony and Mircrosoft already has.

casual gamers has always been nintendo's market more than likely they will bring back their classics like metroid zelda mario kart and a 3d mario adventure even a mario party all of these will have no problem selling and now with third party support which gives companies a new console to work with will give nintendo a strong foot hold in the console market this was meant to compete with the ps3 and xbox 360 not the upcoming consoles

people i know are interested in it as well even with a xbox 360 or ps3 in their homes already i myself have a ps3 and will be grabbing a wii u this coming Christmas

#536 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

Wii U Launch: What Went Wrong?

David Lynch

Nintendo's Wii U has launched in the US, but the new console has a ton of issues that are only just coming to light. Is this Nintendo's worst launch yet?

Published on Nov 19, 2012

Wii U’s US launch has been and gone and with Nintendo’s new console nearing release in the UK (on the 30th Novmber), and eventually Japan (on the 8th December), there have been a number of worrying revelations coming to light from US gamers that puts the Wii U immediately on the back foot.

Nintendo has been rather coy when it comes to confirming just what’s housed within the Wii U and how it compares to the current consoles. With the Wii U finally in the hands of players details are emerging that Nintendo’s new console isn’t quite the powerhouse player’s were expecting.
Also, with reports emerging that many of the Wii U’s third party games suffer from numerous issues, that the hardware itself is shoddy and that it’s riddled with a number of substantial problems, we decided we should take a look at the Wii U’s biggest issues.

Is Nintendo’s launch of the Wii U the most lacklustre the game’s industry has seen? Here are a few reasons it might be...

What’s wrong with Nintendo’s Wii U:

Debug Menu Can Be Accessed
Possibly the worst and most embarrassing example of the Wii U’s unfinished architecture is the claims from one Neogaf user that he was able to accidentally access the Miiverse debug menu. After making himself an admin he was able to take a peek at some of the backend information. Hidden inside were all sorts of secrets because it’s, you know, a debug menu.

A list of unannounced games was clearly visible including titles such as:

• Yoshi’s Land Wii U
  • Donkey Kong
  • Soul Hackers
  • Resident Evil (or resident evils as it appears on the debug menu)
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Final Fantasy 3
  • Dragon Quest
How long it takes for Nintendo to rectify this issue with a patch is unknown. For a console to launch with such an easily accessible backend which houses secret information is a colossal mistake by Nintendo.

A big mistake, but it is at lest easily rectified. Some of the other issues facing the Nintendo Wii U are unfortunately not so easily fixed…

Account Sharing Issues
This is an issue that no one really expected. We’ve become so used to the flexible nature of both the PS3 and the 360 that not being able to share accounts across multiple consoles never even entered into things.

Spotted on Giantbomb's live stream as it unpackaged the Wii U for the first time, this warning popped up:

“This Nintendo Network ID has already been linked to another Wii U Console.”

Taking a look at the Nintendo consumer Q&As for the Wii U, apprantley you won’t be able to log into your account from Wii Us that it isn’t attached to.

“Can I Log Into My Nintendo Network Account on a Different Console?

Answer:

-No, you cannot. A Nintendo Network Account can only be used on the console where it was created. In the future, you will be able to use your Nintendo Network Account with future Nintendo consoles and other devices, such as PC's.

-Currently, the Wii U supports up to 12 individual Nintendo Network ID's per console, which enables each member of the family to have his or her own unique identity on the system.”

3rd Party Launch Games Have Serious Issues

Nintendo’s consoles have always had something of a reputation when it comes to first party games; they’re almost always better than the third party equivalent. Not only was that all supposed to change with the Wii U, but no one was expecting the third party ports of current games to be worse than the original versions.

If anything, they should be better.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to be the case with reports coming in of third party games featuring worse visuals, sound and animation and even the controls have been criticized.

Mass Effect and Batman: Arkham City on the Wii U are both behind the 360 and PS3 when it comes to thier graphical fidelity, but there are even instances where players are complaining that the framerate of third party games lag behind that of its competitors, too.

According to 1up.com the Wii U version of Mass Effect 3 is definetly lacking:

“This version of ME3 seems a lot less visually stable than, say, the Xbox 360 version -- the frame rate is choppier, the animation seems rougher. The audio suffers, too; while the music and sound effects have come over fine, all the dialogue has a hollow, echoing quality to it. The GamePad's analog sticks aren't as comfortable as the 360's, and the placement of the face buttons relative to the right stick made me continually miss the melee and reload buttons. My headshot ratio has dropped precipitously. It's tragic.”

Posted Image

The framerate is worse and the grahpics are worse. Why should you buy ME3 on Wii U again?

Limited RAM

There’s a very good reason Nintendo didn’t reveal the specifications for the Wii U ahead of launch and that reason is simply, they’re not that great. Nowhere is this more salient than of the Wii U’s RAM.
The Wii U has 2GB of Samsung DDR3 memory that runs at a max speed of 12.8GB/s. Original estimations clocked the RAM speed at an ambitious 17 based on the Wii U’s other components, but it’s much slower than expected.

As a good comparison here’s one Neogaf users Xbox 360 and PS3 equivelants:

“360: 22.4 GB/s + eDRAM for framebuffer
PS3: 25.6 GB/s main memory BW + 22.4 GB/s graphics memory BW, no eDRAM”

Problems With HDMI

Another worrying technical issue for the Wii U that really shouldn’t exist at all, but some US users have discovered problems with the HDMI setup.

Not only are there reports of the Wii U ‘turning off’ the other outputs when the HDMI is in use (thereby making it very difficult for those that enjoy recording their game footage), but some have even struggled to get a signal to their TVs at all.

Nintendo’s tech forums have been inundated with people asking why their Wii U’s won’t transmit a picture to their TV and Nintendo has yet to issue a reply or even acknowledge there is an issue on the forum.

Single Save Game Slot Issues

Another issues spotted on the live stream from Giantbomb, but according to the footage the Wii U’s save files aren’t exclusively tied to the player accounts, but the actual machine itself.

The only real distinction between the multiple accounts on a single Wii U is the friends list that is attached to it, not the games. Just make sure you label your saves to avoid losing them if you have more than one account attached to you Wii U.

Day One Patch is 5GB, Could Brick your Wii U

If you get you Wii U home and want to play straight away, you’re going to have to wait as Nintendo downloads and installs a massive firmware update that’s an enormous 5GB. According to some reports this can take up to an hour (obviously depending on your connection speed).

Despite that, there are reports that some Wii Us that download the 5GB update fail to turn back on at all.

Shorter Than Expected Controller Battery Life

Nintendo was cagey releasing specific information regarding the battery life of its GamePad and for good reason, it’ll only last you from 3-5 hours depending on what you’re doing. Much, much shorter than the iPad and other tablets it will limit how long you can play before being forced to charge it up. No mammoth sessions of Mass Effect 3 then.

Interface Issues

An issue that could be explained by the launch day networking stress as users finally start to log onto to Nintendo’s new network, but there have various complaints that it is sluggish to use.

GamePad Distance Issues

Another issue brought to light on Neogaf, but according to some users carrying the Wii U’s GamePad as little as 12 feet away from it can cause the signal to fade and will apparently lose signal at 15 feet.
One of the Wii U’s biggest selling points, the ability to play big screen games on a small screen (while you’re no doubt in bed), this ability is apparently severely limited.

Web Browser Speed

The Wii U comes complete with a web browser that allows you to look at the internet either on your GamePad screen or your TV. According to Anandtech.com the Wii U uses an older version of WebKit and when compared to web browsers on other high-end devices – such as the iPhone and other tablets – the Wii U’s web browser is much, much slower to use.

WiFi Connection Problems

For those that have Wii Us, setting up the WiFi connection is grueling task, but one that can be overcome… eventually.

Keenandgraev.com had issues setting up its Wii U WiFi connection finding the console kept telling the user there was a “Error Code 103-1001, Error Code 103-1002”.

There is a needlessly complex work around to get the WiFi working however, but it begs the question will those less tech savvy be able to get their Wii Us online without help?

http://www.nowgamer....went_wrong.html

#537 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

the debug access was fixed within an hour of its discovery, not sure why it's even listed anymore.

#538 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Wii U 'Has A Horrible, Slow CPU' Says Metro Last Light Dev

David Lynch

Wii U's tech specs aren't as impressive as initially thought and 4A Games won't be bringing Metro: Last Light to Nintendo's new console.

Published on Nov 20, 2012

Nintendo’s Wii U is out in the US and with reports coming in that it is struggling in a number of areas, many are claiming its third party games aren’t quite up to the visual standard of their Xbox 360 and PS3 cousins.

That the Wii U struggles to render games (that run perfectly on the Xbox 360 and the PS3) is a worrying trend for Nintendo. In fact, some games currently scheduled for release on the 360, PS3 and PC won’t be heading to the Wii U at all because of the differences in processing power.

One of these titles will be 4 A Games’ Metro: Last Light. Chief technical officer, Oles Shishkovtsov, explains why Metro’s sequel won’t be appearing.

“[The] Wii U has a horrible, slow CPU,” said Shishkovtsov to NowGamer.

Even his colleage, Huw Beynon, confirmed there would not be a Wii U version of Metro: Last Light, and couldn't justify the effort required to bring a comparable version to the Wii U.

“We had an early look at it, we thought we could probably do it, but in terms of the impact we would make on the overall quality of the game – potentially to its detriment – we just figured it wasn’t worth pursuing at this time. It’s something we might return to. I really couldn’t make any promises, though.”

Despite Nintendo’s console offering Metro: Last Light new experiences to its players with it dual screens, when asked Benyon was adamant that the Wii U would ever seen Metro: Last Light when asked directly.

“We had an initial look at the Wii U, but given the size of the team and compared to where we were last time, just developing for the Playstation 3 is a significant addition.”

http://www.nowgamer...._light_dev.html

Moreover, this guy pretty much sums up my thoughts on the console.

Nintendo seems to be having an identity crisis here. They just can't seem to figure out if they are going to appeal to the causal or to the hardcore. The gamepad gimmick just doesn't cut it for the casual in my opinion and there are not enough third-party games to cater to the hardcore.

Game budgets are getting ever more expensive for the high-end consoles that Nintendo is not going to keep up with development cost to churn out first-party AAA titles one after another. Eventually they'll have to rely on third-party developers to shoulder the burden, but I just can't see any incentive for the budget-tight publishers to take such a risk. There is a reason why Rockstar is cautious about making games for the Wii U. They have a reputation to uphold and their games are very, very expensive to make. For example, it cost them 80-100 million to make Red Dead Redemption which makes it one of the most expensive games ever made, and they just refuse to port it to PC because they claim it's not finacially viable.

#539 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

"Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video and YouTube are all available now! You can watch your favorite movies, tv shows, videos and channels on your television or, in the case of Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant video, directly on the GamePad.

https://www.facebook...WiiU?ref=stream

#540 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

Wii U CPU: Metro publisher clarifies dev criticisms

By Rob Crossley for CVG UK

A representative for THQ is seeking to clarify comments made by one of the publisher's development partners who branded the Wii U's CPU as "slow and horrible".
Huw Beynon, a global communications executive at THQ, told Eurogamer that the media coverage surrounding the quote has "spun" the truth of the matter for the purpose of bolstering website traffic numbers.

On Tuesday, the chief technical officer at Metro: Last Light developer 4A claimed there would be difficulties with a Wii U port due to the console's "horrible, slow CPU".

CVG's coverage of the story had clarified that studios, such as Ubisoft Montpellier (Assassin's Creed 3) and Treyarch (Black Ops 2), appear to have successfully ported their high definition games to Nintendo's new system. The report added that THQ wants 4A to finish work on Metro Last Light before April due to assurances made to investors. This could be one of a number of reasons for why the studio is not focusing its resources on a Wii U port.

Beynon said that it had become common knowledge that the CPU on Wii U "isn't as fast as some of the other consoles out there". He added that a port of Metro: Last Light for Wii U was feasible, though time and resource constraints were primarily preventing this.

"We could probably get Metro to run on an iPad if we wanted, or on pretty much anything," he said.

"Just as in the same way that between PC and current console versions there are some compromises that need to be made in certain places and we strive to get the very best performance that we can from any platform we release on.

Beynon said 4A is still "a really small studio".

"There were 50 developers for Metro 2033, there are 80 now. With Metro 2033 most of their experience was with the PC. The Xbox 360 was their first console version. We've now added PlayStation 3 to the mix. We genuinely looked at what it would take to bring the game to Wii U. It's certainly possible, and it's something we thought we'd like to do.
"The reality is that would mean a dedicated team, dedicated time and effort, and it would either result in a detriment to what we're trying to focus on, already adding a PlayStation 3 SKU, or we probably wouldn't be able to do the Wii U version the justice that we'd want."

He added that, despite the Wii U's alleged underpowered CPU - a claim that remains ambiguous until official specs are revealed - there are solutions within the hardware.
"Lots of developers are finding ways to get around it because of other interesting parts of the platform," Benyon said.

The Wii U carries about 1GB of memory specifically for games developers to use - twice the amount available on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Reflecting on the media coverage, Benyon added: "What it doesn't go on to look at is to say that, you know, we could probably get around these issues. But I understand that there's a real appetite in the media at the moment because the Wii U is a hot topic to spam some stories that are going to attract a lot of links if they present it in a certain way."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/380022/wii-u-cpu-metro-publisher-clarifies-dev-criticisms/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.