#481 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

Very sad news about Rick.

I really wish more people would do some research on mental disorders. Mental Illness is not something that can be overcome through "will power" nor related to a person's "character" or intelligence. It sounds like Rick struggled with this disease for years and in his mind, taking his own life, was the only solution to stop the pain.

I hope he is at peace, and my thoughts and prayers go to his surviving family members.

Posted Image

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

#482 RKesler_17

RKesler_17

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

Wow terrible tragedy, first Boogaard and now Rypien. My condolences to the Rypien family.

RIP Rick.
Posted Image

#483 daftMince

daftMince

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

It's tragic that he had to go so soon.
A great fighter, a great character guy. Good heart in him.
We were lucky to have him as a Canuck.

Thoughts go out to his family and friends.
R.I.P Rick Rypien
R.I.P Rick Rypien

#484 Alexander.Edler

Alexander.Edler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

RIP Rick Rypien

Posted Image

#485 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

I saw a comment on a Rypien Youtube video this morning and someone wrote "R.I.P. Rypien" and had 9 thumbs up.

I thought it was some cool nickname because he kills the opposition and "RIP" sounds like a short version of "rypper", so I smiled and moved on.

I come on CDC this afternoon and.... :(

Edited by LordofBrussels, 16 August 2011 - 02:46 PM.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#486 Berto91

Berto91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

Depression warps a person's thinking, it makes them irrational. Rypien was a young guy, with a lot of money, living a dream of playing in the NHL that he had worked his entire life to acheive. Do you think somebody who's mind was clear and rational would decide to give all of that up and kill themself? He had it all, he had every reason to want to live.

Depression is a real mental illness and the people who have it deserve help and compassion. They don't deserve to be judged and stigmatized. If Rypien killed himself it doesn't make him a coward. It makes him the victim of a disease that claimed his life. He's no more of a coward than if he would have died from cancer or any other disease.

PERFECT!! If only people that were being so damn judgmental saying things like it's 'cowardly' it's 'selfish' it's 'not the answer' could read your post! One of the best I've seen. Some people seriously have ZERO clue about how legitimate depressions transforms the mind.
100th Post: Friday 2nd July '10 :)

Vintage.Kesler, on 30 September 2010 - 03:30 PM, said:
Lol, tailored for a T-REX.

I'm pretty sure CDC just collectively orgasmed at the thought of CoHo getting recalled lol

#487 linden16*

linden16*

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:49 PM

That last paragraph of Dan Murhpy's article made me tear up. It is so sad to know that he did want to tell everyone what he had been dealing with in order to help others and he himself thought he was a on a good path now, it is sad to know that he had basically just talked to the Jets GM and his agent a couple days before. It's tough to think about how things changed so quickly. It'd just so tragic.
Posted Image
Thanks to lovekesler for the sig! | RIP Luc, Carly and Rick. We miss you all.

#488 Berto91

Berto91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

Being someone who has lived through losing a close family member recently to suicide I am not sure how to respond to your post ? I guess everyone has their opinions no matter how misguided they are. What would have been best for The Rypper would have been to still be alive and his family would not have to live through such a senseless act. Let me tell you that taking your life is never the answer. To any person thinking that this is a possible solution to ones problems I sincerely suggest maybe talking to someone about it before that thought becomes a reality in the final seconds of your life that you can never take back.

You seem to know what Rick was going through by your post , for the rest of us please please , let us in on what you think you know. I am not trying to be disrespectful or antagonistic in any way . I just would like to know if any what reasons you would have to justify suicide?

You call someones views misguided simply because they guy you replied to was stating the point that people saying it was selfish etc, didn't know what he was going through. No offence bud, you seem to be the misguided one. Read my previous reply to someone who actually had a wider view of thinking. You do not know what people with depression have been through. I do not either. BUT. I can accept (because I have knowledge on the subject!) that peoples minds completely transform when they become depressed. It almost overrides the person.

Before you jump the gun saying it's 'such a senseless act' maybe you should do some digging into how much this illness affects people. Let alone younger people.

Off topic, not that I give a damn about this ranking system but I'm very surprised you had a plus for it.

Open your eyes and get different views on a subject before jumping the gun.
100th Post: Friday 2nd July '10 :)

Vintage.Kesler, on 30 September 2010 - 03:30 PM, said:
Lol, tailored for a T-REX.

I'm pretty sure CDC just collectively orgasmed at the thought of CoHo getting recalled lol

#489 nazzy_fan4life

nazzy_fan4life

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:54 PM

this article caught my eye :

After taking time away from his NHL career to battle depression, Rick Rypien finally appeared to be in a good place.

The scrappy centre, formerly with the Vancouver Canucks, recently signed with the Winnipeg Jets along with longtime friend Jason Jaffray. He appeared content and at peace and talked about the possibility of winning the Stanley Cup.

That's why news of Rypien's sudden death Monday came as a shock to Jaffray and others who watched Rypien battle his way, physically and mentally, into the NHL.

"Everyone knew he had some issues that he had to get taken care of last year and he was definitely a new man when he came back and he was definitely the happiest I'd ever seen him," Jaffray said Tuesday from his home in Olds, Alta. "We actually had joked around about bringing a Cup back to Winnipeg."

Rypien was scheduled to fly to Winnipeg on Sunday night to have his knee checked Monday, Jets assistant general manager Craig Heisinger said. But he never boarded that flight.

"He had left me a message Sunday morning ... he just wanted to know whether there was ice to skate at," Heisinger said during a news conference Tuesday. "I spent some time trying to track him down [Monday] and was unable to do so."

Rypien had been dealing with depression for at least a decade, said Heisinger, who was the GM of the Manitoba Moose when Rypien played for the AHL team. By the summer, Heisinger said, Rypien appeared to have gained the upper hand.

"He seemed really excited to be back here," Heisinger said. "I think there was a comfort zone here for him.

"Either something happened very quickly or we all missed the boat."

The Jets and Canucks confirmed Rypien's death in statements Monday night. The RCMP in Crowsnest Pass, Alta., said they received a call Monday afternoon concerning a "sudden and non-suspicious" death.

There was no immediate word on the cause of death.

Rypien, 27, spent parts of six seasons with the Canucks organization. He played only nine games with Vancouver last season and spent most of the year dealing with personal issues.

Jaffray, who played with Rypien in both Vancouver and Winnipeg, said Rypien did not talk much about his troubles.

"Even being his roommate, and on the road we did pretty much everything together ... he didn't like to talk about that kind of stuff a whole lot," Jaffray said. "And guys knew not to pry because when you did try to pry, he kind of got uncomfortable."

Rypien had been getting treatment, although Canucks GM Mike Gillis would not go into great detail.

"Over the course of the last three seasons, we participated in a variety of different initiatives with him and we were all really close with him," Gillis said Tuesday in Toronto. "We had an understanding of what we thought was going on and had a number of outside agencies involved in assisting us and we felt we were on course.

"We felt he was making progress in a lot of different areas. When he signed with Winnipeg, we were all really happy for him."

Rypien had signed a one-year, $700,000 deal US with the Jets. He had nine goals, seven assists and 226 penalty minutes in 119 career games with Vancouver.

Although small in stature, the five-foot-11, 190-pound Rypien never shied away from a fight. His tenacity made him a fan favourite.

"He was a guy who wouldn't back down from anyone. He was a guy that was definitely fearless," Jaffray said. "He wasn't one of those tough guys that was just out there to fight.

"The guy could skate 100 miles an hour and he worked extremely hard at becoming a good hockey player."

Canucks fans set up a small memorial outside Rogers Arena, pasting posters and flowers to a concrete pillar and arranging candles in the shape of Rypien's No. 37.

"No matter who was your favourite player, he was one of those players who, any time the team wanted energy or a spark, he was always the one to inject it," said Calvin Ng, a 22-year-old from suburban Port Moody, B.C.

Don Fehr, the executive director of the NHL Players' Association, said Rypien will be missed.

"All players and NHLPA staff are saddened to learn of Rick's passing," he said in a statement. "He was a respected member of our association and will be greatly missed throughout the hockey community.

"Our sincere condolences go out to Rick's family, friends and many fans."

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman offered similar sentiments.

"The National Hockey League sends its deepest condolences to the family, friends and teammates of Rick Rypien, who played the game with so much energy and emotion and whose passing fills us all with a sense of immeasurable sadness and sorrow," he said.

Fans created a Facebook tribute page shortly after the reports of Rypien's death surfaced. Former and current teammates posted condolences on Twitter.

"R.I.P. to a fellow [No.] 37 sorry to see ya go, nicest guy I played with my time in Vancouver, sorry to see ya go buddy, see ya on the other side," posted former teammate Brad Lukowich.

Brendan Morrison, another former Canucks teammate, also posted a tweet.

"In disbelief about Ripper. Sat beside him in the locker room in Van. Such a good kid with a huge heart Thoughts with his family," Morrison said.

Rypien is the second active NHL player found dead in the off-season. Former New York Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard died in May due to an accidental mix of alcohol and the painkiller oxycodone.

Rypien the cousin of former NFL quarterback Mark Rypien left the Canucks twice over three years to deal with undisclosed personal matters.

Rypien, a native of Coleman, Alta., made headlines last October when he pushed a Minnesota Wild fan after leaving the ice following a fight during a game in St. Paul. Rypien was handed a six-game suspension and later apologized for the incident.

Posted Image Posted Image
Avtar By:CanuckMunkey Sig By:: Vintage Canuck =D
``-`-->> Dan Cloutier#39;)
--- #28 <3 # 37. RIP Rick.

#490 Vigneault's Stache

Vigneault's Stache

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

Bollocks, I bet.

ive said it many times and ill say it again

get a god damn life

RIP RIPPER

yesterday was a tough day today aint much different
Posted Image

#491 CanuckFanInCTown

CanuckFanInCTown

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

RIP Rypien...may you finally have shed your demons and find your peace.

#492 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,786 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

I wasnt asking if it was right or wrong to you , just to clarify . I asked you " If any what reasons you would have to justify suicide?"

Death is not an opinion it is final, and his act took away any hope of helping himself and left his family ,friends and fans all in confusion over his decision . I dont judge Rick at all am just trying to figure things out for myself .

Some people say that suicide is selfish when that statement is the definition of selfish because those people are thinking about how it affects themselves, not about the individual driven to it.

It's terribly hard to understand for the rest of us who are left, but how must it have affected that person in order to go through with it?

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#493 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:07 PM

Just heard on 1040 that Tanner Glass will be on at 330 to talk about Ripper.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#494 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

Just made this RR sticker, anyone who wants to use it, feel free :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#495 Canuck-Man

Canuck-Man

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

I was baffled last night when I saw this on the news.

Thanks for the memories Rick. I loved it when you took down guys twice your size.

RIP.

#496 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

Posted Image

Was waiting for someone to make one, thanks.

vykJJ.jpgk5COD.jpgxd8CQ.jpg

#497 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

RIP Rypper

one of my favourite canucks of the 2000's easily... he gave it his all every night, and the fans around here STILL didnt appreciate him

i hope your knockin' heads in heaven rick.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#498 Go-Canucks_Go

Go-Canucks_Go

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

RIP Rick Rypien :(

#499 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

Posted Image

I'll be using that. Thanks.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#500 We Broke The Cup

We Broke The Cup

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

REST IN PEACE RICK RYPIEN you will be missed

#501 IceJava_

IceJava_

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

Last night Squire Barns mentioned rumors of mental health problems. Take that for what it's worth.

Careful, people will minus you for that because they wont like it even though it's the truth.

I really wish you'd take a break from this forum. You're really ignorant lately, and need to take a look in the mirror and see how much of an idiot you look like because of comments like these.

Way to show respect.

Stop being such a crybaby because I've won several arguments against you and because the majority of this board thinks you're trolling, which in fact, you are. I've battled the occasional idiot here and there on Facebook showing disrespect and destroyed them. I show plenty of respect and there wasn't anything disrespectful about that comment.
9,591 pc and counting.

#502 Luo-Won-Gold

Luo-Won-Gold

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

I will miss him like every Canucks fan, I am so proud that we had a great player like Rick Rypien play for the Vancouver Canucks. He stood up for his teammates.
Thank You Rick Rypien. WE WILL MISS YOU.
FOREVER A CANUCK

Sig too big.

#503 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

Love ur name dude .... But ya rypien was a beast, tough player. The Pitbull will b missed
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#504 M.Lapierre.40

M.Lapierre.40

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

Your name is awesome....
But Rypien was the guy who can spark the crowd up. Really wish i could see him play one mroe time
I wanted to see him play in the finals.
Posted ImagePosted Image
BANGG BANGG BANGG BANGGG

VAMANOS VAMANOSSSS

#505 The C is blue

The C is blue

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

RIP

He was a beast on the ice... a joy to watch.

the C is blue bitches!

#506 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,723 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

POPULAR

Careful, people will minus you for that because they wont like it even though it's the truth.

Stop being such a crybaby because I've won several arguments against you and because the majority of this board thinks you're trolling, which in fact, you are. I've battled the occasional idiot here and there on Facebook showing disrespect and destroyed them. I show plenty of respect and there wasn't anything disrespectful about that comment.

You're not exactly any better here either...

Edited by blue.dragon258, 16 August 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#507 IceJava_

IceJava_

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

You're not exactly any better here either...

That's fine. I'm not here to make friends. But it doesn't change the fact what I said is true.
9,591 pc and counting.

#508 marinated.pea

marinated.pea

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

POPULAR

A couple pictures from my visit to the fan memorial today.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tomorrow should be special.
Posted Image

#509 trevor corey

trevor corey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

R.I.P. Rick

One of my all-time favorite Canucks.
Deepest condolences to his family and friends
Posted Image

#510 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

To those saying that they know first hand about this or that disease because they knew somebody with it and then going on to speak about it like someone had a choice or took the easy way out....please do shut up....unless you have or have had a mental illness you at best have a little insight into what someone who does is really going through.

Unless you have lived it yourself you really have no clue and that I can say as someone with personal intimate experience.

Edited by Gman, 13 April 2013 - 09:55 PM.

Posted Image

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs." - Unknown

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization" - Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.