The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

I am very sorry for your loss and the dilemma it caused you. Though suicide may not be admirable, it cannot be considered an act of selfishness. It is simply a last resort for someone who does not have the resources to cope with their anxiety and depression (which, as you have hinted, will be exacerbated by other factors). I have been suffering from depression recently and actually spoke to someone at a suicide hotline this morning. This is why Rick's passing has really resonated with me and made me determined to pull through.

It's really nice to see the kind words from everyone here. I would like to encourage everyone to honour Rick's memory by seeking to understand the effects of depression and continuing to pass their empathy on to those in need. RIP.

Having had a bit more time to reflect on this, and reviewing the thread, it seems there are those who wish to discuss suicide and depression here, amidst the fans just reminiscing and offering condolences (not knocking that at all, I myself was doing that a few pages back, he was a great hockey player).

In September 2008, my personal favourite author, David Foster Wallace, killed himself via hanging. He had suffered through depression for 30 years, kept it a bay for awhile with prescription drugs until they started to cause him physical pain, and was forced to go sober. I think he made it maybe a year before he caved and took his own life. Honestly, that's the only celebrity death (suicide or otherwise) that has ever made me straight up cry. There's something deeply unsettling when someone who is able to shine clarity into a confusing, frustrating world gives up and calls it quits. As I said before, two real-world friends have taken this route in the past 12 months, so it really has been a sort-of theme of 2011 in my life, and something I've been examining in greater depth.

Anyhow, rambling aside, this was always my favourite quote from DFW. It doesn't specifically deal with death or suicide, but it feels appropriate here, and once again I feel it necessary (healthy, maybe) to share with the masses:

"Both destiny's kisses and its dope-slaps illustrate an individual person's basic personal powerlessness over the really meaningful events in his life: i.e. almost nothing important that ever happens to you happens because you engineer it. Destiny has no beeper; destiny always leans trenchcoated out of an alley with some sort of Psst that you usually can't even hear because you're in such a rush to or from something important you've tried to engineer."

(quote is taken from his epic novel, The Infinite Jest - highly recommended)

I am very sorry for your loss and the dilemma it caused you. Though suicide may not be admirable, it cannot be considered an act of selfishness. It is simply a last resort for someone who does not have the resources to cope with their anxiety and depression (which, as you have hinted, will be exacerbated by other factors). I have been suffering from depression recently and actually spoke to someone at a suicide hotline this morning. This is why Rick's passing has really resonated with me and made me determined to pull through.

It's really nice to see the kind words from everyone here. I would like to encourage everyone to honour Rick's memory by seeking to understand the effects of depression and continuing to pass their empathy on to those in need. RIP.

Archived