The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

watched sky sports last night and they were plotting englands route to the final, one of the presenters said they play their last group game in kiev, will get a good look at the stadium before the final. arrogant pr!ck, i hope they get humped in the group. if the french sort themselves out, the could beat england, ukraine will be tough at home and we all know how much they love playing sweden!!!

This is what annoys me about England. It's not the team. They have some players I don't mind watching. But the media just forces me to root against them. That and the small matter of the Scotland - England rivalry :P But mainly the media.

I don't think their group is as easy as they think it is either. They got an easier draw than other teams but it's going to be tough beating these teams. Especially with Ukraine being the host nation and performing in front of their home fans.

I wasn't around to watch the guy play, but from what I've seen a bit of a legend. RIP

Former Brazil captain Socrates has died at the age of 57.

He had been in a critical condition with an intestinal infection since being admitted to intensive care on Friday at a hospital in Sao Paulo.

Socrates, who was widely regarded as one of the greatest ever midfielders, was moved onto a life support machine on Saturday.

SOCRATES FACTFILE

Born on 19 February 1954 in Belem do Para, Brazil

Rated as one of the greatest midfielders of all-time

At 6ft 4in tall he was known for his physical strength, as well as two-footed vision and skill

Played for Botafogo and Corinthians in Brazil before a one-season spell at Fiorentina

Saw out his career with Flamengo and Santos before retiring in 1989 aged 35

In 2004 aged 50, Socrates made an appearance as sub for Garforth Town in the Northern Counties League after a one-off deal to become player-coach

He played in two World Cups, won 60 caps for his country between 1979 and 1986 and scored 22 goals.

The former Corinthians player, whose full name was Socrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Sousa Vieira de Oliveira, was taken to the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo with food poisoning on Friday, according to his wife.

A hospital statement said on Saturday that the former footballer was "in a critical condition due to a septic shock of intestinal origin".

It added he was breathing with a ventilator and using a dialysis machine.

Socrates was taken to hospital twice in August and September this year with bleeding in his digestive tract.

After these incidents he admitted he had problems with alcohol, especially so during his playing career. He is also well known for his smoking habit.

RIP Socrates. Brazilian legend

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie on Twitter

In a recent television interview, Socrates said he had considered alcohol his "companion" but believed its regular use did not affect his performance on the field.

"Alcohol did not affect my career, in part because I never had the physical build to play this game," he said.

"Soccer became my profession only when I was already 24. I was too thin and when I was young I did not have the opportunity to prepare myself physically for the sport."

Sweden-England again next summer. we met 2002 and 2006. games endes 1-1 and 2-2

I think the game wil be difficult for sweden to win. it depends if Zlatan is on fire or not

i think England and France will be the best teams in the group

<br />He's on the bench mostly I think. Still, he's young. So he has a bit of time to make an impact.<br /><br />I'm considering a trip to Munich in April to see Bayern at the Allianz. Anyone been? I've been to Munich before and found it to be awesome. I love Germany and I'd love to go and see a game over there. Either Munich or Dortmund.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If i were you i would go to Dortmund, especially as Celtic Fan.

Dortmund has someone like a fanfriendship with Celtic since McLeod & Lambert played for Dortmund.

If you have a Celtic jersey you will get a very warm welcome.

Was always fun when we played the Rangers in Championsleague.

They was chanting Bayern München and our fans started to sing Celtic.

The prizes are cheaper then in the Pleague

<br /><br /><br />

Dortmund has someone like a fanfriendship with Celtic since McLeod & Lambert played for Dortmund.

Yeah, if I could choose between Munich and Dortmund then I would choose Dortmund for a game. The atmosphere there looks amazing. What's the city like? Would it be worthwhile staying there, or just being there for the game and travelling to another German city? I probably have about 5-7 days off for the trip.

<br /><br /><br />

the atmosphere at dortmund is amazing too