Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Voucer

Nail Yakupov -- The Next Elite NHL Superstar.

219 posts in this topic

I don't want to take too much away from him but he missed the cut off for the 2011 draft by about 3 weeks. RNH is in his 18 year old season and is an NHL rookie. Yakupov is in his 18 year old season and is in his draft year. He's pretty much the same age as RNH. I'm pretty sure there is about 3 1/2 months difference between them. What kind of numbers would Nugent-Hopkins be putting up in the CHL right now?

I'm not saying he doesn't have star potential. I just think the stats may be a little misleading. This isn't the typical draft year we're seeing. If he was 3 weeks younger he would have went head to head with RNH last season and would likely be in the NHL right now.

I saw "Nail Yakupov -- The Next El" in the thread description and assumed the remainder of the title was "Kabong." Thoroughly disappointed ... :(

I don't want to take too much away from him but he missed the cut off for the 2011 draft by about 3 weeks. RNH is in his 18 year old season and is an NHL rookie. Yakupov is in his 18 year old season and is in his draft year. He's pretty much the same age as RNH. I'm pretty sure there is about 3 1/2 months difference between them. What kind of numbers would Nugent-Hopkins be putting up in the CHL right now?

I'm not saying he doesn't have star potential. I just think the stats may be a little misleading. This isn't the typical draft year we're seeing. If he was 3 weeks younger he would have went head to head with RNH last season and would likely be in the NHL right now.

Same thing happened with Hall, he was pretty close to the cutoff and would've challenged tavares for 1st overall

True. Hall and Tavares aren't quite the same as RNH and Yakupov though.

Tavares- September, 1990

Hall- November 1991

RNH- April 1993

Yakupov- October 1993

There was a pretty big gap between Hall and Tavares so they wouldn't have been quite as easy to compare head to head as RNH and Yakupov. Tavares and Stamkos are a little easier to compare. He missed the cut off for the 2008 draft by just 5 days.

I realize now that my first post was a little off. I thought RNH had an August birthday.

what does Yakupov getting cut-off from the 2012 entry draft have to do with his skill set?

age matters only because of physical maturity which RNH doesn't really have yet, but he's still doing well in the NHL

nhl scouts have said that if Yakupov went this year he would have gone in the top 5

I didn't say anything about his skill set. I'm talking about his stats. All I'm saying is that at the end of the year people shouldn't be saying "Look how much better Yakupov is compared to Stamkos and RNH. They had 105-106 points in their draft years while Yakupov had 130 points". He's actually a year older than they were in their draft years. He should be putting up some crazy numbers. He's 18 years old. Just look at Huberdeau. He's averaging 2 points per game as well. The only difference is that he's already been drafted because he's a few months older.

...and Yakupov probably would have went 1st or 2nd in 2011.

Yeah, but Nail is scoring a 2 PPG in the OHL whereas Huberdeau is doing in the QMJHL. Also, on paper Huber's team is way better, but Sarnia is doing so well mostly because they have Yakupov.

My point is still valid. Huberdeau was just an example of another high profile 18 year old in the CHL. I fully expect Yakupov to be a better prospect than Huberdeau. He may even be better than RNH. I'm just saying don't assume he's significantly better than RNH just because he's going to finish with 30-40 more points in his draft year. He SHOULD be putting up these types of numbers at his age.

I didn't say anything about his skill set. I'm talking about his stats. All I'm saying is that at the end of the year people shouldn't be saying "Look how much better Yakupov is compared to Stamkos and RNH. They had 105-106 points in their draft years while Yakupov had 130 points". He's actually a year older than they were in their draft years. He should be putting up some crazy numbers. He's 18 years old. Just look at Huberdeau. He's averaging 2 points per game as well. The only difference is that he's already been drafted because he's a few months older.

...and Yakupov probably would have went 1st or 2nd in 2011.

age doesnt really matter for yakupov because its not like this is his 3rd year in the OHL, its his 2nd

RNH, Taylor hall all played 3 years in the CHL before being drafted

so because this players older he has to dominate the CHL?

Yakupov scored to bring Sarnia's game within 1 against Saginaw. 12 on the Season.

Colorado looks too good to finish dead last. He'll go to either Calgary or one of those terrible Eastern teams, maybe even the Devils or Winnipeg.

age doesnt really matter for yakupov because its not like this is his 3rd year in the OHL, its his 2nd

RNH, Taylor hall all played 3 years in the CHL before being drafted

so because this players older he has to dominate the CHL?

33 points in 15 games.

What is even more impressive is that the 2nd highest scorer currently has 21 points in 15 games (respectively) and last year in his 3rd OHL season he had only 38 points in 68 games...

No, but the point that Greene is making is that he is just as or close to as physically mature as RHN was last year.

Edit: it is true you have to look at all the factors though. RHN had a lot of extra years on NA ice.

Lucky Columbus.

Hopefully, Florida wins the lottery. Nail would look great in a Canucks uniform.