The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Latest Straightjab (Nhl Discipline - D. Sedin)

OFFSIDEsports

Here's an idea:

Shanahan & co. hold their hearing, discussing what the factors are with the offending player.

They then go behind closed doors to decide a fine and/or suspension (if any).

Then they come back out, and ask the player what he thinks it should be, without telling him what they have decided.

If it isn't close, the penalty is increased.

So, the disciplinary panel might provisionally decide 4 games, but the player says 2. The actual suspension then becomes,say, 5 games.

Or, panel thinks 3, player says 5, so the suspension stays at 3.

A little accountability? There are problems with this, but it might make it more likely that players will not try the 'Marchand Innocence' act, and come out of these things with a little more respect for the game and responsibility for their actions, even 'in the heat of the moment.'

Many proposed solutions for adequate penalty/suspensions to offending players and/or teams.

Also many people saying these proposed solutions are too outrageous and the league will never go for them.

In my mind it is simple. If the league wants a solution, make the penalty outrageous. In fact, the more outrageous the better the results.

I like to speed. I really don't care if I get a $200 ticket. If the penalty was a $5000 I would stop speeding. If the penalty was 10 years in jail then I would never go 1 km/h over the speed limit ever again in my life.

You get the point.

Do you think Keith would have made that hit if he had to forfeit half of his salary? Or the rest of his season including play-offs? I'm not saying those should be the penalties, but an outrageous penalty will deter offenders.

Regards,

T

No elaborate scenarios are needed to fix this problem, just longer suspensions that actually hurt the player not benefit them with rest before the playoffs. I think the bottom end for a blatent attempt to injure headshot like this should be 15 games, 2nd offense 30 games, 3rd offense 82 games. Its really simple the punishment needs to be just that, not a well needed rest period before the playoffs.

No elaborate scenarios are needed to fix this problem, just longer suspensions that actually hurt the player not benefit them with rest before the playoffs. I think the bottom end for a blatent attempt to injure headshot like this should be 15 games, 2nd offense 30 games, 3rd offense 82 games. Its really simple the punishment needs to be just that, not a well needed rest period before the playoffs.

great on so many levels. Great because the artistic side is amazing, but also great because it's so true. Player gets hit in the head and the excuse will always be something along the lines of:

it's hockey, a physical sport.

Sooner we take head shots out the game completely, the sooner injuries will occur less often.

Archived