The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Little Dissapointed In Av's Second Line Heading In To The Playoffs

406281dylan

The decision to put Mason Raymond on the second line is correct when the Los Angeles Kings are likely going to play the trap against the Canucks. Raymond can pick up the puck in flight in the neutral zone from a good tape-to-tape pass from our defencemen and expose the backwards skating Kings.

problem with raymond is that... when he gets put down to the fourth, he doesnt play hard.

a player with his speed should be able to make the other teams 4th line (and hopefully) bottom d-pairing look silly - but the fact is, when raymond gets demoted he dissapears even harder! im SO sick of seeing raymond skate around throwing terrible passes to other teams d-men. if there is a weak spot on our team, it is raymond.

Clearly we have a dilemma with Mason Raymond because when a guy like Lapierre goes on your top two lines and unexpectidly performs you got to make the right decision. Truth is Raymond can be a huge asset but Lapierre has potential also. I understand Lapierre is the man who drives the fourth ine to success. But i wa hoping we would enter playoffs with a more physical team then last year. But i feel that having Raymond in the lineup brings us back to square 1. I think we have a solid chance of winning but there has been times this year where L.A has got the best of us in the physical category. I rather bench Raymond then Manny because the team does not always show up with out Mannys leadership. Raymond can also be a distraction because you will start him on a top line he will score dirty goals for two straight games and then he wont show up. That is why I would judge Raymond by th e period. The lines should look like this.

Sedins-Burrows (If they get pushed around split the Sedins)

Lapierre-Kesler-Booth

Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen

Bitz-Manny-Weise/Kassian

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Salo-Edler

Alberts/Tanev-Rome

Lu

Schneid

*Every single year Lappy has been in the NHL he has began the playoffs on the fourth but then ends up moving to a diffrent line. Last year cody only had one point in round 1 so they slowly faded lappy in with the third line and before you knew it he was starting every game on the third line.

Well Lapierre is the becoming of the next Burrows, how do you think Burrows became a first line player, by playing the same role as Lapierre and grinding his way to the top. Lapierre is the exact same player and is doing the exact same things, and he will be the next Burrows, there is a reason why these 2 players grew up only 30 mins apart from each other in Quebec. They are brothers from another mother!

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Lapierre - Pahlsson - Hansen

Malhotra - Reinprecht - Bitz/Weise

I think the addition of Reinprecht makes Raymond somewhat more expendable if he keeps this up. But for sure, Raymond should be given a shot to start the series. But keep him on a short leash. Start the internal competition for playing time too (not that these guys need any ulterior motivation).

Those bottom 6 look damn solid. With the AMEX line reunited, our top 6 becomes that much more dominant.

AV - listen to me, because I know you read CDC forums for coaching tips! lol

The decision to put Mason Raymond on the second line is correct when the Los Angeles Kings are likely going to play the trap against the Canucks. Raymond can pick up the puck in flight in the neutral zone from a good tape-to-tape pass from our defencemen and expose the backwards skating Kings.

I'm no Raymond lover but the 200 people on here who have their lineups for game 1 without him are delusional. The coach has started him in pretty much every game so on the coaches depth chart obviously Raymond is above CDC's mancrush Bitz or Weise. I know all you CDC members are former NHL coaches so you obviously know which players bring more to the lineup but AV clearly disagrees.

Raymond should start on the 2nd because it may not be an issue for the 1st round. He may play well or not and the Nucks should still win regardless, if the rest of the team performs.

AV should save his changes for later. No need to play all of your cards now, save them for when they are needed to give the team a boost.

If we get down in a series, a bad game, or lose two in a row, then by all means get Raymond out of there to spark the others.

Until then, let's see if it's even an issue. Raymond may have the series of his career. We're about to find out.

Archived